Re: [scoutradio] Re: Latest QST - JOTA Article

  • W4SNW2@cs.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
      Hi Jean and to all,

      With Cubs, who sometimes have a shorter attention span than the Scouts, I try
      to have a ham or two standing by the local repeater in case band conditions
      are a little marginal.  With the benefit of armchair copy and an immediate
      response, we can have the Cubs chatting away immediately while we get a
      strong HF contact.

      The other thing I like to do is have a contest for the farthest DX station
      heard and worked, with a small prize awarded at the end of the day.  Here in
      Florida, and incidently also at KB4BOY in Pennsylvania, JOTA coincided with a
      Cub Weekend so there were many activities going on throughout the camp with
      Ham Radio being one of the events where the Cubs were competing.

      Perhaps you might be able to able to post my article to the remailer from the
      ARRL Educational Synposium a few years back (or allow me to post it from my
      files as it is probably now copyrighted), to give a few other suggestions for
      working with the Scouts.

      Best 73's

      Steve White, W4SNW
    • Bill Stewart
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
        Hi All. JOTA in our District is a district event. We schedule our Fall Camporee to coincide with JOTA. The Fall Camporee is the one which we invite the Webelos and have them meet the requirement to camp with a Boy Scout Troop. Venturing Crew 80 comes out for the weekend and sets up a full Field Day station complete with emergency power. We run the Webelos through the station so they can complete their Communicator Pin and interested Boy Scouts may get Radio Merit Badge. This is done along with Crew 80's First Aid and Communications responsibilities for the district.

        Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Colonial District, National Capital Area Council
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
          Bill,

          I am trying to put together an Amateur Radio Venture Crew, could you please email me at kd7ges@... with info about you crew 80. Do they have a web site?

          Thanks,

          Max

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
            If Bill doesn't mind... http://www.qsl.net/w3bsa/index.html

            Also... K1DWU has given us a 'Clubs|Scouting' listing on his giant 'Ham-Links' web site.  The URL's are scanned on a weekly basis, so the database is kept up to date.

            If any of you on the list have knowledge of other radio-Scouting related pages, there is a 'new/update' tab on the page.

            Clubs|Scouting

            73 - BP

            Jon Pearl W4ABC
            Trustee WA4BSA