Re: [scoutradio] Re: Latest QST - JOTA Article

  • Ray Vaughan
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
      At 12:27 PM 8/22/01 -0700, you wrote:

      >The younger boys seem to really like Morse Code. We show them a few of the simplest characters and they get to key their own names.

      I'm pretty sure there's research to show that younger minds have a much better rate of learning a new language. I think I've heard that by Jr. High, it's almost too late to teach a kid a new language. I know that was the case for me, both Spanish and Morse Code.

      "Newport and other linguists have discovered in recent years that the window of opportunity for acquiring language begins to close around age 6, and the gap narrows with each additional candle on the birthday cake. Children who do not learn a language by puberty will never be fluent in any tongue. That means that profoundly deaf children should be exposed to sign language as early as possible, says Newport. If their parents are hearing, they should learn to sign. And schools might rethink the practice of waiting to teach foreign languages until kids are nearly grown and the window on native command of a second language is almost shut."

      Source:

      http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/980615/15lang.htm

      Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
      KD4BBM PG-7-15266
      ray@...
      http://www.rayvaughan.com/
      ยง97.1(c)-(d)
    • W4SNW2@cs.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
        Hi Jean and to all,

        With Cubs, who sometimes have a shorter attention span than the Scouts, I try
        to have a ham or two standing by the local repeater in case band conditions
        are a little marginal.  With the benefit of armchair copy and an immediate
        response, we can have the Cubs chatting away immediately while we get a
        strong HF contact.

        The other thing I like to do is have a contest for the farthest DX station
        heard and worked, with a small prize awarded at the end of the day.  Here in
        Florida, and incidently also at KB4BOY in Pennsylvania, JOTA coincided with a
        Cub Weekend so there were many activities going on throughout the camp with
        Ham Radio being one of the events where the Cubs were competing.

        Perhaps you might be able to able to post my article to the remailer from the
        ARRL Educational Synposium a few years back (or allow me to post it from my
        files as it is probably now copyrighted), to give a few other suggestions for
        working with the Scouts.

        Best 73's

        Steve White, W4SNW
      • Bill Stewart
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
          Hi All. JOTA in our District is a district event. We schedule our Fall Camporee to coincide with JOTA. The Fall Camporee is the one which we invite the Webelos and have them meet the requirement to camp with a Boy Scout Troop. Venturing Crew 80 comes out for the weekend and sets up a full Field Day station complete with emergency power. We run the Webelos through the station so they can complete their Communicator Pin and interested Boy Scouts may get Radio Merit Badge. This is done along with Crew 80's First Aid and Communications responsibilities for the district.

          Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Colonial District, National Capital Area Council
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
            Bill,

            I am trying to put together an Amateur Radio Venture Crew, could you please email me at kd7ges@... with info about you crew 80. Do they have a web site?

            Thanks,

            Max

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
              If Bill doesn't mind... http://www.qsl.net/w3bsa/index.html

              Also... K1DWU has given us a 'Clubs|Scouting' listing on his giant 'Ham-Links' web site.  The URL's are scanned on a weekly basis, so the database is kept up to date.

              If any of you on the list have knowledge of other radio-Scouting related pages, there is a 'new/update' tab on the page.

              Clubs|Scouting

              73 - BP

              Jon Pearl W4ABC
              Trustee WA4BSA