Re: [scoutradio] Re: Latest QST - JOTA Article

  • Carter J Wood
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
      Twice each year our Council holds an event for Webelos
      Scouts. In the fall we have 'Webelos Woods'. About
      March we have the 'Spring Fling' and because many of
      the Webelos II Cubs have crossed over by then, we
      include the Bears (upcoming Webelos). At both of
      these events one of the many program features is Ham
      Radio.

      The younger boys seem to really like Morse Code. We
      show them a few of the simplest characters and they
      get to key their own names. With a croud of 800+ at
      each of the outings, we have to take them in waves of
      30 or so. In a half hour session almost everyone gets
      to play with the code before they go on the the HF
      rigs, antenna farm, VHF, PSK, etc. They like it all
      but the code comes very easily for them and they have fun!

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Ray Vaughan
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
        At 12:27 PM 8/22/01 -0700, you wrote:

        >The younger boys seem to really like Morse Code. We show them a few of the simplest characters and they get to key their own names.

        I'm pretty sure there's research to show that younger minds have a much better rate of learning a new language. I think I've heard that by Jr. High, it's almost too late to teach a kid a new language. I know that was the case for me, both Spanish and Morse Code.

        "Newport and other linguists have discovered in recent years that the window of opportunity for acquiring language begins to close around age 6, and the gap narrows with each additional candle on the birthday cake. Children who do not learn a language by puberty will never be fluent in any tongue. That means that profoundly deaf children should be exposed to sign language as early as possible, says Newport. If their parents are hearing, they should learn to sign. And schools might rethink the practice of waiting to teach foreign languages until kids are nearly grown and the window on native command of a second language is almost shut."

        Source:

        http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/980615/15lang.htm

        Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
        KD4BBM PG-7-15266
        ray@...
        http://www.rayvaughan.com/
        ยง97.1(c)-(d)
      • W4SNW2@cs.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
          Hi Jean and to all,

          With Cubs, who sometimes have a shorter attention span than the Scouts, I try
          to have a ham or two standing by the local repeater in case band conditions
          are a little marginal.  With the benefit of armchair copy and an immediate
          response, we can have the Cubs chatting away immediately while we get a
          strong HF contact.

          The other thing I like to do is have a contest for the farthest DX station
          heard and worked, with a small prize awarded at the end of the day.  Here in
          Florida, and incidently also at KB4BOY in Pennsylvania, JOTA coincided with a
          Cub Weekend so there were many activities going on throughout the camp with
          Ham Radio being one of the events where the Cubs were competing.

          Perhaps you might be able to able to post my article to the remailer from the
          ARRL Educational Synposium a few years back (or allow me to post it from my
          files as it is probably now copyrighted), to give a few other suggestions for
          working with the Scouts.

          Best 73's

          Steve White, W4SNW
        • Bill Stewart
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
            Hi All. JOTA in our District is a district event. We schedule our Fall Camporee to coincide with JOTA. The Fall Camporee is the one which we invite the Webelos and have them meet the requirement to camp with a Boy Scout Troop. Venturing Crew 80 comes out for the weekend and sets up a full Field Day station complete with emergency power. We run the Webelos through the station so they can complete their Communicator Pin and interested Boy Scouts may get Radio Merit Badge. This is done along with Crew 80's First Aid and Communications responsibilities for the district.

            Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Colonial District, National Capital Area Council
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
              Bill,

              I am trying to put together an Amateur Radio Venture Crew, could you please email me at kd7ges@... with info about you crew 80. Do they have a web site?

              Thanks,

              Max

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 22, 2001
                If Bill doesn't mind... http://www.qsl.net/w3bsa/index.html

                Also... K1DWU has given us a 'Clubs|Scouting' listing on his giant 'Ham-Links' web site.  The URL's are scanned on a weekly basis, so the database is kept up to date.

                If any of you on the list have knowledge of other radio-Scouting related pages, there is a 'new/update' tab on the page.

                Clubs|Scouting

                73 - BP

                Jon Pearl W4ABC
                Trustee WA4BSA