Re: [scoutradio] amount of time at radio

  • W4SNW2@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2001
      We have generally tried to have 45 minutes available whenever possible. The
      first 5 minutes or so are just to introduce Ham Radio and some of the
      interesting things we can do with the hobby (e.g., DX; ARES, Skywarn, ARISS,
      SSTV, APRS, etc.).  Try to keep it very simple, especially with Cubs, but
      always emphasize the fun.

      Then get them on the air.  That's what JOTA is really all about.

      Reserve a few minutes at the end of the session to tell about getting their
      own Ham license.  Try to have some copies of the ARRL Scouting and Ham Radio
      and Archie Comics for those that seem to have a real interest. Be sure to
      have follow-up contact numbers so the Scouts can find a local club or class
      to learn more.

      A good time will be had by all.

      Best 73's

      Steve WHite, W4SNW
      Station Trustee, K4BOY and
      Unit Commissioner
      BSA Camp Flying Eagle Amateur Radio Club
      Bradenton, FL
    • RStone1221@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2001
        In a message dated 8/21/01 1:36:10 PM, W4SNW2@... writes:

        << Try to have some copies of the ARRL Scouting and Ham Radio
        and Archie Comics for those that seem to have a real interest. >>

        Where do I get these 3 items from? ARRL?
        Thanks for all you do.
        Sincerely,
        Roz Stone rstone1221@...
      • W4SNW2@cs.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2001
          Yes.  ARRL Educational Activities office can ship you the Handouts.
          Sometimes their stock of the Archie comics is low, but I would move quickly
          before the JOTA rush.

          Good luck and let everyone know how it went.

          73's

          Steve, W4SNW

        • Ray Vaughan
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2001
            I get a kick out of seeing the Archie comics.  Sometimes I wonder if even the kid's PARENTS even remember Archie.   Might be time for a face lift there.   We need a ham-related computer game CD or something.  The hero uses his ham rig to save the world and make new friends.

            I know... I'm dreaming :)

            At 05:14 PM 8/21/01 -0400, you wrote:
            Yes.  ARRL Educational Activities office can ship you the Handouts.   Sometimes their stock of the Archie comics is low, but I would move quickly before the JOTA rush.

            Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
            KD4BBM  PG-7-15266
            ray@...
            ยง97.1(c)-(d)