SCOUTS on APRS

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 1999
      I had suggested how any scout anywhere could communicate to any other
      scout anywhere using APRS and the GROUP call of "SCOUTS". Well I have
      learned a few things to pass along to you. Yes, it works locally via RF
      as far as you have digipeaters, but it does not work as well via IGates.

      1) Not all IGates have the ability to pre-load the SCOUTS Callsign
      and even if yours does, it wont work unless the SYSOP has added it.

      So, until we get all the IGates software updated to include SCOUTS, (maybe
      a month or so) you may be best just ryting to do regional stuff...

      One way to always make it work worldwide is to TRANSMIT any packet to
      the AX.25 TOCALL of "SCOUTS" prior to any operations. THis tricks the
      local IGATE into thinking that there is a station in the area with the
      call of "SCOUTS". For the next HOUR or so, it will forward any messages
      addressed to SCOUTS then over RF so that you can get them.

      Unfortunately, you see, that this defeats the beauty of the original idea
      by requiring the recepient to "anticipate" when someone may be senging out
      a "SCOUTS" message. This will work find fors special anticipated events,
      but is laborious for random QSO's

      de WB4APR, Bob

      What follows was the original message:
      ----------------

      1) Everyone in APRS that wants to play scouting, add SCOUTS to your
      message GROUP list.

      2) Lets consider asking all IGates to list SCOUTS as a gate-to-rf
      address?

      This would allow any scout, anywhere, to send a message to "SCOUTS"
      and it would be received by any other troop or den anywhere else.
      I doubt that this would be a serious load on the network. I cannot
      imagine more than one scout group per local area being on the air
      at any one time, so it is no worse than any other keyboard QSO. But
      it DOES provide the infrastructure to let ham-radio scouts, talk to other
      ham-radio scouts without a lot of prior set-up.

      My den will be on the air tonight after 1900 using the call W3ADO

      de WB4APR, Bob

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to aprssig as: BRUNINGA@...
    • Demos Doulou
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 1999
        Well, at least the TampaBay Igate, KR4US-5 works as advertised

        73

        Demos

        >>I had suggested how any scout anywhere could communicate to any other
        >scout anywhere using APRS and the GROUP call of "SCOUTS". Well I have
        >learned a few things to pass along to you. Yes, it works locally via RF
        >as far as you have digipeaters, but it does not work as well via IGates.
        >
        >1) Not all IGates have the ability to pre-load the SCOUTS Callsign
        > and even if yours does, it wont work unless the SYSOP has added it.

      • Chris Schwab
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 1999
          Yep..

          I have seen Bob's test messages come through the IGATE the past
          few nights! Let's hope we can get more Scouts on APRS!

          Chris
          N4BSA

          Well, at least the TampaBay Igate, KR4US-5 works as advertised

          73

          Demos

          >>I had suggested how any scout anywhere could communicate to any other
          >scout anywhere using APRS and the GROUP call of "SCOUTS". Well I have
          >learned a few things to pass along to you. Yes, it works locally via RF
          >as far as you have digipeaters, but it does not work as well via IGates.
          >
          >1) Not all IGates have the ability to pre-load the SCOUTS Callsign
          > and even if yours does, it wont work unless the SYSOP has added it.

          Looking for a fun, easy way to stay in touch with family members?
          http://www.onelist.com
          Create a ONElist community just for your family!
        • Patrick
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 1999
            Hi all,

            I just want to introduce myself. I just signed up to the list.

            My name is Patrick Wilson and my call is N0PIT. I am the cubmaster for pack
            101 out of Aurora, CO.

            Thanks,
            Patrick