Amateur Radio PR through Scouting

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2013

      This was sent to the ARRL Public Relations reflector this morning.  You now might want to reach out to  your local ARRL PIO’s and the  PR guy of your local Amateur Radio club and start planning some future  local joint Scout and Amateur Radio activities.

      73

      Gary, K2GW

      -----

      Good Morning!

      It’s probably safe to say that Scouting introduces Amateur Radio to more young people than any other single youth organization.  To that the end, the K2BSA team is doing outstanding service in attempting to get 4,000 Scouts on the air during the current BSA National Jamboree.  In addition, they’re taking advantage of the event to educate even more Scouts and Scouters across the country about Amateur Radio.

      They got the editor of Scouting Magazine ( which goes to all 900,000 registered Scout Leaders across the country ) to blog about his fun doing Foxhunting:

      http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/

      And the K2BSA station was the lead story yesterday in Jamboree Newspaper which went to all 40,000 Jamboree participants:

      http://jamboreetoday.org/talk-to-astronauts-in-space-only-part-of-k2bsa-offerings/

      For more information as to how to engage your local Scouting community in Amateur Radio, see the K2BSA webpage for lots of resources:

      http://www.k2bsa.net/

      Thanks & 73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW

      ARRL SNJ ASM

      BSA National Radio Scouting Committee Member

    • James Wilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17, 2013
        Thank you Gary. Great work. Scout traffic today is light. 20% are at their day of service and another 20% on the trek to Garden Ground. Lots of Scouts in the Radio MB classes.

        Thanks to everyone for your support.

        Jim, K5ND

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Ryan Pankoe
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013

          Excellent to the K2BSA staff. I stopped in yesterday and it was looking great! Keep up the good work exposing the scouts and scouters to amateur radio.

          -Ryan, N3VJM

        • Dave Greig
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
            They are doing a great job. I worked three times on three bands this weekend!

            Thank You!
            Dave Greig N3BUO

            On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Ryan Pankoe <rpankoe@...> wrote:

            Excellent to the K2BSA staff. I stopped in yesterday and it was looking great! Keep up the good work exposing the scouts and scouters to amateur radio.

            -Ryan, N3VJM

          • Norman Royce
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
              I notice in the pictures that they are using 2-element Yagi...on the web I keep finding 3-element plans.
              Are the plans for the 2-element available?

              This would be a fun project and activity for our camp on the Oregon coast.

              Thanks;
              Norm KD6IFF

              Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Amateur Radio PR through Scouting
              To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thursday, July 18, 2013, 5:10 PM

              They are doing a great job. I worked
              three times on three bands this weekend!

              Thank You!Dave Greig N3BUO
              Phone: (682)
              422-6667
              Google Plus:
              gplus.to/801Tactical

              Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/801Tacticalhttp://www.801tactical.com
              Twitter: @801tactical

              On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at
              9:27 AM, Ryan Pankoe <rpankoe@...>
              wrote:

              Excellent to the K2BSA staff. I stopped in yesterday and it
              was looking great! Keep up the good work exposing the
              scouts and scouters to amateur radio.

              -Ryan, N3VJM

              Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at
              Yahoo!Groups. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radio-scouting-uk

              Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not
              have them subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth

              Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top
              Signaling:

            • James Wilson

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
                  Typo in RDF link. Should be:

                  http://theleggios.net/wb2hol/projects/rdf/rdf.htm

                  de KR1ZAN
                • Doug Garman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
                    I called for 4 hours and could not get through!

                  • Elden Morris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
                      I have ben trying to make contact with K2BSA since they went onto the air. It wasn't until this morning that I finally made contact on 7.190 MHz. By noon, I couldn't hear them any more on any frequency.

                      I even cheated by self spotting using texting. One of my friends and neighbors is working at the station.

                      Keep trying.

                      ELDEN, N1MN

                      I called for 4 hours and could not get through!

                    • Tim W4YN
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 20, 2013
                        What you see is a 2 element stepper. One element is 6-40 meters and the is the director. It looks like 3 but the driven element is big trombone melement.
                        Tim W4YN