RE: [ScoutRadio] Ham station at Philmont?

  • Don Kunst
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2013
      James,

      I went to Philmont three years ago with my HT, mainly in the north country.  I did get some freqs from another Scouter for the local repeaters and the Philmont radio system. For the most part, I  heard some Philmont staff traffic and could hit some repeaters from the hilltops. Like most repeaters I only got scattered responses.  I was hoping to also use it for weather reports, but there are no nearby stations I could pick up, even though I had them all programmed.   I did listen to AM/FM radio which was nice for weather and news.  If you know of other crews with HTs then there might be more contacts.  I carried a telescoping antenna and  a solar charger.  I carried it on my pack strap with ear mic. I had an article in QST, September 2012, page 61-62 detailing my trip.

      My son and I are getting ready to teach Wilderness First Aid for our council contingent in two weeks.

      Enjoy Philmont.

      Don

      Don Kunst
      EMT-P Tactical, BSIT, ASM T151, W3LNE