Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip and Morse Code strip.

  • Walter Underwood
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
      I've never found any national paperwork for this. I did find an email from someone in Mecklenburg County Council that said it doesn't require paperwork.

      wunder
      K6WRU
      Pacific Skyline Council

      On Mar 6, 2013, at 7:10 AM, Bill Stewart wrote:

      What kind of paperwork?? Just curious.

      Bill, W2BSA, National Capital Area Council, DC, MD, VA

      On 3/6/2013 05:59, Tim W4YN wrote:

      Our council requires paper work.
      Tim W4YN ASM Mecklenburg Council NC

      --
      Walter Underwood

    • n5dgh
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
        Just curious what a Venture ASM is or does? I am familiar with a Venture Patrol Advisor, Venture Crew Advisor, Venture Crew Associate Advisor and Troop ASM but I cannot find a reference to a Venture ASM anywhere so far.

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

        > Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.
        >
        > Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.
        >
        > The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".
        >
        > wunder
        > Walter Underwood
        > K6WRU
        > Venture ASM
        > Troop 14, Palo Alto
        >
        > On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Gene Santoski wrote:
        >

        > > HI!
        > >
        > > I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
        > > I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase. I think it varies from council-to-council!!
        > >
        > > 73
        > >
        > > Gene K9UTQ

      • Steve K0STK
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
          Walter Underwood said:

          >I've never found any national paperwork for this. I did find an email from =
          >someone in Mecklenburg County Council that said it doesn't require paperwor=
          >k.

          Our scout shop did not require supporting documentation (e.g. BSA form,
          FCC license) when I purchased my Rating and Morse Code Strips.

          Steve, K0STK // kostk@...
          ASM, Troop 111, Northern Lights Council, ND
        • n5dgh
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
            Merit Badge .org shows a adult patch for Assistant Scoutmaster, Venture on their website. Feel free to go over and check it out. Locally, we use the designation as Venture Patrol Advisor, who is usually, but not necessarily, also ASM in the Troop. Irrattadata!

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "n5dgh" <n5dgh@...> wrote:

            > Just curious what a Venture ASM is or does? I am familiar with a Venture Patrol Advisor, Venture Crew Advisor, Venture Crew Associate Advisor and Troop ASM but I cannot find a reference to a Venture ASM anywhere so far.
            >

            > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood <wunder@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.
            > >
            > > Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.
            > >
            > > The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".
            > >
            > > wunder
            > > Walter Underwood
            > > K6WRU
            > > Venture ASM
            > > Troop 14, Palo Alto
            > >
            > > On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Gene Santoski wrote:
            > >

            > > > HI!
            > > >
            > > > I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
            > > > I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase. I think it varies from council-to-council!!
            > > >
            > > > 73
            > > >
            > > > Gene K9UTQ

          • Walter Underwood
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
              I've never seen that patch. Cool, I should get one!

              Most of our ASMs are patrol advisors. We like to have two per patrol. I've been the advisor for the Venture Patrol.

              wunder
              K6WRU

              --
              Walter Underwood

            • Bill Stewart
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                I haven't either. That's why I asked.

                --
                Walter Underwood

              • Michael Stephan
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                  I guess it is on your honor lol! Our scout office didn't even know what they were. I just gave them the number and said order me two.

                  --
                  Walter Underwood

                • ad5td
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 7, 2013
                    South Texas Council requires no paper work or show of Licence. My Scout Master (not ham) picked up two for me at the Council Store this week. I was the first in the entire Council.

                    AD5TD
                    Troop 188 (55 years this year!)
                    Woodsboro TX

                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Michael Stephan <gunpowder2012@...> wrote:

                    > I guess it is on your honor lol! Our scout office didn't even know what
                    > they were. I just gave them the number and said order me two.

                  • jackperson424
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 26, 2013
                      Jim

                      I would be interested in a couple venturing green strips.

                      Yours in Scouting

                      Jack Person
                      Venturing round Table Commissioner
                      Chain Bridge District