RE: [ScoutRadio] Fwd: Venturing and Sea Scout Versions - Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip

  • Demetrios Pulas
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013

      Hi Jim:   I could not find your return e-mail address to discuss purchase off-line.  My Venturing Crew (www.w3bsa.org)  members are all hams, and would like to have a Venturing ham radio strip as opposed to a tan one.  We would like to order 25 strips.  Please advise Tnx and Vy 73’s Demi K4BSA  (k4bsa@...  or demetrios.pulas@...)

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013
        Can anyone point me in the right direction. I guess I am having a mind melt.

        What are the requirements for both strips.
        TNXS
         AL KA1FFO

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013
            ok thanks. Going to put together a PPT for our RT next week.

            AL KA1FFO

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013
              HI!

              I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
              I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase.  I think it varies from council-to-council!!

              73

              Gene K9UTQ

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013
                Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.

                Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.

                The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".

                wunder
                Walter Underwood
                K6WRU
                Venture ASM
                Troop 14, Palo Alto

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                    Our council requires paper work.
                    Tim W4YN ASM Mecklenburg Council NC

                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

                    > Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.
                    >
                    > Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.
                    >
                    > The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".
                    >
                    > wunder
                    > Walter Underwood
                    > K6WRU
                    > Venture ASM
                    > Troop 14, Palo Alto
                    >
                    > On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Gene Santoski wrote:
                    >

                    > > HI!
                    > >
                    > > I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
                    > > I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase. I think it varies from council-to-council!!
                    > >
                    > > 73
                    > >
                    > > Gene K9UTQ

                  • Bill Stewart
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                      What kind of paperwork?? Just curious.

                      Bill, W2BSA, National Capital Area Council, DC, MD, VA

                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood wrote:

                      > Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.
                      >
                      > Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.
                      >
                      > The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".
                      >
                      > wunder
                      > Walter Underwood
                      > K6WRU
                      > Venture ASM
                      > Troop 14, Palo Alto
                      >
                      > On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Gene Santoski wrote:
                      >

                      > > HI!
                      > >
                      > > I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
                      > > I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase. I think it varies from council-to-council!!
                      > >
                      > > 73
                      > >
                      > > Gene K9UTQ

                    • Walter Underwood
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                        I've never found any national paperwork for this. I did find an email from someone in Mecklenburg County Council that said it doesn't require paperwork.

                        wunder
                        K6WRU
                        Pacific Skyline Council

                        --
                        Walter Underwood

                      • n5dgh
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                          Just curious what a Venture ASM is or does? I am familiar with a Venture Patrol Advisor, Venture Crew Advisor, Venture Crew Associate Advisor and Troop ASM but I cannot find a reference to a Venture ASM anywhere so far.

                          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

                          > Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.
                          >
                          > Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.
                          >
                          > The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".
                          >
                          > wunder
                          > Walter Underwood
                          > K6WRU
                          > Venture ASM
                          > Troop 14, Palo Alto
                          >
                          > On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Gene Santoski wrote:
                          >

                          > > HI!
                          > >
                          > > I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
                          > > I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase. I think it varies from council-to-council!!
                          > >
                          > > 73
                          > >
                          > > Gene K9UTQ

                        • Steve K0STK
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                            Walter Underwood said:

                            >I've never found any national paperwork for this. I did find an email from =
                            >someone in Mecklenburg County Council that said it doesn't require paperwor=
                            >k.

                            Our scout shop did not require supporting documentation (e.g. BSA form,
                            FCC license) when I purchased my Rating and Morse Code Strips.

                            Steve, K0STK // kostk@...
                            ASM, Troop 111, Northern Lights Council, ND
                          • n5dgh
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                              Merit Badge .org shows a adult patch for Assistant Scoutmaster, Venture on their website. Feel free to go over and check it out. Locally, we use the designation as Venture Patrol Advisor, who is usually, but not necessarily, also ASM in the Troop. Irrattadata!

                              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "n5dgh" <n5dgh@...> wrote:

                              > Just curious what a Venture ASM is or does? I am familiar with a Venture Patrol Advisor, Venture Crew Advisor, Venture Crew Associate Advisor and Troop ASM but I cannot find a reference to a Venture ASM anywhere so far.
                              >

                              > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood <wunder@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.
                              > >
                              > > Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.
                              > >
                              > > The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".
                              > >
                              > > wunder
                              > > Walter Underwood
                              > > K6WRU
                              > > Venture ASM
                              > > Troop 14, Palo Alto
                              > >
                              > > On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Gene Santoski wrote:
                              > >

                              > > > HI!
                              > > >
                              > > > I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
                              > > > I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase. I think it varies from council-to-council!!
                              > > >
                              > > > 73
                              > > >
                              > > > Gene K9UTQ

                            • Walter Underwood
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                                I've never seen that patch. Cool, I should get one!

                                Most of our ASMs are patrol advisors. We like to have two per patrol. I've been the advisor for the Venture Patrol.

                                wunder
                                K6WRU

                                --
                                Walter Underwood

                              • Bill Stewart
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                                  I haven't either. That's why I asked.

                                  --
                                  Walter Underwood

                                • Michael Stephan
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                                    I guess it is on your honor lol! Our scout office didn't even know what they were. I just gave them the number and said order me two.

                                    --
                                    Walter Underwood

                                  • ad5td
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 7, 2013
                                      South Texas Council requires no paper work or show of Licence. My Scout Master (not ham) picked up two for me at the Council Store this week. I was the first in the entire Council.

                                      AD5TD
                                      Troop 188 (55 years this year!)
                                      Woodsboro TX

                                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Michael Stephan <gunpowder2012@...> wrote:

                                      > I guess it is on your honor lol! Our scout office didn't even know what
                                      > they were. I just gave them the number and said order me two.

                                    • jackperson424
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 26, 2013
                                        Jim

                                        I would be interested in a couple venturing green strips.

                                        Yours in Scouting

                                        Jack Person
                                        Venturing round Table Commissioner
                                        Chain Bridge District