Fwd: Venturing and Sea Scout Versions - Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip

  • rooney-family
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2013
      We are well on our way to placing an order for these Venturing and Sea Scout uniform specific versions:
         - Venturing:  a Venturing green background and border, white lettering and red BSA logo
         - Sea Scouts:  White background and border, black text and the red BSA logo

      I have 30+ pre-orders and yet need 50 to place the order with the vendor.  Prices will be about $2/ea + $1 S/H (stamp + envelope).

      Please contact me offline if you would like to place an order. I cannot promise that these will be available in the future after this order.

      Yours in Scouting,

      --- Jim Rooney (N4JJR)

    • Demetrios Pulas
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013
          Can anyone point me in the right direction. I guess I am having a mind melt.

          What are the requirements for both strips.
          TNXS
           AL KA1FFO

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013
              ok thanks. Going to put together a PPT for our RT next week.

              AL KA1FFO

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013
                HI!

                I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
                I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase.  I think it varies from council-to-council!!

                73

                Gene K9UTQ

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013
                  Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.

                  Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.

                  The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".

                  wunder
                  Walter Underwood
                  K6WRU
                  Venture ASM
                  Troop 14, Palo Alto

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                      Our council requires paper work.
                      Tim W4YN ASM Mecklenburg Council NC

                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

                      > Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.
                      >
                      > Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.
                      >
                      > The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".
                      >
                      > wunder
                      > Walter Underwood
                      > K6WRU
                      > Venture ASM
                      > Troop 14, Palo Alto
                      >
                      > On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Gene Santoski wrote:
                      >

                      > > HI!
                      > >
                      > > I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
                      > > I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase. I think it varies from council-to-council!!
                      > >
                      > > 73
                      > >
                      > > Gene K9UTQ

                    • Bill Stewart
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                        What kind of paperwork?? Just curious.

                        Bill, W2BSA, National Capital Area Council, DC, MD, VA

                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood wrote:

                        > Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.
                        >
                        > Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.
                        >
                        > The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".
                        >
                        > wunder
                        > Walter Underwood
                        > K6WRU
                        > Venture ASM
                        > Troop 14, Palo Alto
                        >
                        > On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Gene Santoski wrote:
                        >

                        > > HI!
                        > >
                        > > I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
                        > > I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase. I think it varies from council-to-council!!
                        > >
                        > > 73
                        > >
                        > > Gene K9UTQ

                      • Walter Underwood
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                          I've never found any national paperwork for this. I did find an email from someone in Mecklenburg County Council that said it doesn't require paperwork.

                          wunder
                          K6WRU
                          Pacific Skyline Council

                          --
                          Walter Underwood

                        • n5dgh
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                            Just curious what a Venture ASM is or does? I am familiar with a Venture Patrol Advisor, Venture Crew Advisor, Venture Crew Associate Advisor and Troop ASM but I cannot find a reference to a Venture ASM anywhere so far.

                            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

                            > Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.
                            >
                            > Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.
                            >
                            > The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".
                            >
                            > wunder
                            > Walter Underwood
                            > K6WRU
                            > Venture ASM
                            > Troop 14, Palo Alto
                            >
                            > On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Gene Santoski wrote:
                            >

                            > > HI!
                            > >
                            > > I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
                            > > I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase. I think it varies from council-to-council!!
                            > >
                            > > 73
                            > >
                            > > Gene K9UTQ

                          • Steve K0STK
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                              Walter Underwood said:

                              >I've never found any national paperwork for this. I did find an email from =
                              >someone in Mecklenburg County Council that said it doesn't require paperwor=
                              >k.

                              Our scout shop did not require supporting documentation (e.g. BSA form,
                              FCC license) when I purchased my Rating and Morse Code Strips.

                              Steve, K0STK // kostk@...
                              ASM, Troop 111, Northern Lights Council, ND
                            • n5dgh
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                                Merit Badge .org shows a adult patch for Assistant Scoutmaster, Venture on their website. Feel free to go over and check it out. Locally, we use the designation as Venture Patrol Advisor, who is usually, but not necessarily, also ASM in the Troop. Irrattadata!

                                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "n5dgh" <n5dgh@...> wrote:

                                > Just curious what a Venture ASM is or does? I am familiar with a Venture Patrol Advisor, Venture Crew Advisor, Venture Crew Associate Advisor and Troop ASM but I cannot find a reference to a Venture ASM anywhere so far.
                                >

                                > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood <wunder@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Interpreter's strips are not an award and there is no paperwork. Essentially, they are self-enforcing. If you wear an interpreter's strip for a language you don't know, you'd better be ready for someone to talk to you in that language.
                                > >
                                > > Which is why I no longer wear the "Deutsch" strip I wore to the 1969 Jamboree. My German is way too rusty. And I never really got good in ASL.
                                > >
                                > > The Morse interpreter's strip seems like a stretch to me. Interpreter's strips are great for situations like a World Scout Jamboree, but Morse is not a spoken language, so that doesn't work. I can see a sort of vague world brotherhood argument, but it is mostly strikes me as a spoof patch, like "Web Techie".
                                > >
                                > > wunder
                                > > Walter Underwood
                                > > K6WRU
                                > > Venture ASM
                                > > Troop 14, Palo Alto
                                > >
                                > > On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Gene Santoski wrote:
                                > >

                                > > > HI!
                                > > >
                                > > > I have both strips and didn't have to "prove" anything for either one at my local Council Scout Shop!!!
                                > > > I am licensed and operate mostly CW on HF so I do qualify even though proof wasn't required at time of purchase. I think it varies from council-to-council!!
                                > > >
                                > > > 73
                                > > >
                                > > > Gene K9UTQ

                              • Walter Underwood
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                                  I've never seen that patch. Cool, I should get one!

                                  Most of our ASMs are patrol advisors. We like to have two per patrol. I've been the advisor for the Venture Patrol.

                                  wunder
                                  K6WRU

                                  --
                                  Walter Underwood

                                • Bill Stewart
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                                    I haven't either. That's why I asked.

                                    --
                                    Walter Underwood

                                  • Michael Stephan
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                                      I guess it is on your honor lol! Our scout office didn't even know what they were. I just gave them the number and said order me two.

                                      --
                                      Walter Underwood

                                    • ad5td
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 7, 2013
                                        South Texas Council requires no paper work or show of Licence. My Scout Master (not ham) picked up two for me at the Council Store this week. I was the first in the entire Council.

                                        AD5TD
                                        Troop 188 (55 years this year!)
                                        Woodsboro TX

                                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Michael Stephan <gunpowder2012@...> wrote:

                                        > I guess it is on your honor lol! Our scout office didn't even know what
                                        > they were. I just gave them the number and said order me two.

                                      • jackperson424
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 26, 2013
                                          Jim

                                          I would be interested in a couple venturing green strips.

                                          Yours in Scouting

                                          Jack Person
                                          Venturing round Table Commissioner
                                          Chain Bridge District