RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Girls are Scouts too!

  • rue stuteville
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 28, 2013

      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      From: kf4hvt@...
      Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:04:29 -0800
      Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Girls are Scouts too!

      In a few of the comments it was mentioned that some of these girls dual enroll... I can tell you here in South Florida they generally drop out of the Girl Scouts at age 14 and join Venturing. I am the District Commissioner for one of our district and I had the occasion to speak to one of the Girl Scout professionals about the girl scouts and they were completely clueless why there program had a mass exodus at age 14... One day the girl scouts will cease to exist because they are running around with blinders on and not giving the program the girls want... I only hope the blinders come off before the entire program goes away.

      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28, 2013
        Similarly, take a look at a program developed by Mark Spencer of ARRL:

        This is an ARRL legacy document.  At Camp Whispering Cedars (GSUSA) in Dallas, we sent the
        Girl Scout Radio Badge image to a patch manufacturer to copy.  Last we heard (several years ago)
        was that the original source no longer supplied the badges.  The ARRL no longer mentions this program
        on their Scouting pages.

        The Girl Scout Radio Badge was an adaptation of the BSA Radio Merit Badge.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

        This old ARRL publication has a suggested radio badge for different levels of Girl Scouts.

        wunder
        K6WRU

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 5:08 PM, J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

        Hi Folks!

        Given that I have three sons who are Scouts/Scouters (2 Eagles, 1 on the way) and my belief that daughters need quality programs, I might be inclined to put some young ladies through the Radio Merit Badge program and simply issue them the badge…probably not an action compliant with BSA policy, but it would be worth it to see the reaction of a GSUSA adult when she spots a Girl Scout/Venturer with a Radio Merit Badge patch on their vest!  J

        It is hard enough to get the parents of boys to engage in traditional Boy Scouting programs.  From my experience, it is even harder to get parents to support their daughters in Venturing, especially if the program is similar to that of a Boy Scout Troop with respect to the high adventure activities.  That is a shame.  If my sons have daughters, I will be all over them to be supportive of their daughters the way my wife and I were for them.

        Yours in Scouting!
        Thanks & 73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

        201.314.6964