RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Girls are Scouts too!

  • Stephen M. Shearer
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 27, 2013

      They couldn’t be scoutmasters (or assistants) until (something) like the beginning of 1989…  When my wife joined me as an assistant.

      73, steve

      BTW, a couple of us (radio club) built crystal radio “kits” for a cub den project a year ago.  I wound coils on shipping tube, we mounted everything on a small pine board and the most expensive part was the crystal earphone ($2-$3)…   A good antenna/ground is most important!

      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28, 2013
        Similarly, take a look at a program developed by Mark Spencer of ARRL:

        This is an ARRL legacy document.  At Camp Whispering Cedars (GSUSA) in Dallas, we sent the
        Girl Scout Radio Badge image to a patch manufacturer to copy.  Last we heard (several years ago)
        was that the original source no longer supplied the badges.  The ARRL no longer mentions this program
        on their Scouting pages.

        The Girl Scout Radio Badge was an adaptation of the BSA Radio Merit Badge.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

        This old ARRL publication has a suggested radio badge for different levels of Girl Scouts.

        wunder
        K6WRU

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 5:08 PM, J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

        Hi Folks!

        Given that I have three sons who are Scouts/Scouters (2 Eagles, 1 on the way) and my belief that daughters need quality programs, I might be inclined to put some young ladies through the Radio Merit Badge program and simply issue them the badge…probably not an action compliant with BSA policy, but it would be worth it to see the reaction of a GSUSA adult when she spots a Girl Scout/Venturer with a Radio Merit Badge patch on their vest!  J

        It is hard enough to get the parents of boys to engage in traditional Boy Scouting programs.  From my experience, it is even harder to get parents to support their daughters in Venturing, especially if the program is similar to that of a Boy Scout Troop with respect to the high adventure activities.  That is a shame.  If my sons have daughters, I will be all over them to be supportive of their daughters the way my wife and I were for them.

        Yours in Scouting!
        Thanks & 73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

        201.314.6964