Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Girls are Scouts too!

  • Jamie Holmes
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 27, 2013
      Stop calling in folks we have a winner

      Jamie Holmes
      Vice President
      The Master Mechanic Inc

      On Feb 27, 2013, at 4:27 PM, Norm Huber <n9zks@...> wrote:

      On 2/26/2013 15:06, Brian Murrey wrote:
      > What does Scouts Canada attribute this tremendous drop in membership
      > to? What is the most significant factor that has caused this decline?

      Years ago when women were not allowed in BSA I noted that the English
      program recruited the husband and wife as a team so the men were not
      hearing the "All you do is scout" complaint at home. I also felt at the
      time that if you had the husband and wife working together you set an
      example for the young men on how they should lead their families. My
      wife was in the first Coed Scout Leader Training Class held in NCAC in
      DC. We had Scouters sitting across the table from us talking about the
      ruination of Scouting.

      Later (early 90s) I had the opportunity to be a "Host family" for a
      Scouter from Korea who told me that they were seeing the beginning of
      the membership decline in their country. They blamed it on the many
      other programs available and the increase in the pace of life. We are
      now living in an age when the parents have to drive their kids every
      where they go.

      ----- Norman Huber - N9ZKS - Central Illinois
      ----- Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner / Assistant Scoutmaster
      ----- Bloomington, IL 61705-5855

    • Frank Krizan
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28, 2013
        Similarly, take a look at a program developed by Mark Spencer of ARRL:

        This is an ARRL legacy document.  At Camp Whispering Cedars (GSUSA) in Dallas, we sent the
        Girl Scout Radio Badge image to a patch manufacturer to copy.  Last we heard (several years ago)
        was that the original source no longer supplied the badges.  The ARRL no longer mentions this program
        on their Scouting pages.

        The Girl Scout Radio Badge was an adaptation of the BSA Radio Merit Badge.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

        This old ARRL publication has a suggested radio badge for different levels of Girl Scouts.

        wunder
        K6WRU

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 5:08 PM, J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

        Hi Folks!

        Given that I have three sons who are Scouts/Scouters (2 Eagles, 1 on the way) and my belief that daughters need quality programs, I might be inclined to put some young ladies through the Radio Merit Badge program and simply issue them the badge…probably not an action compliant with BSA policy, but it would be worth it to see the reaction of a GSUSA adult when she spots a Girl Scout/Venturer with a Radio Merit Badge patch on their vest!  J

        It is hard enough to get the parents of boys to engage in traditional Boy Scouting programs.  From my experience, it is even harder to get parents to support their daughters in Venturing, especially if the program is similar to that of a Boy Scout Troop with respect to the high adventure activities.  That is a shame.  If my sons have daughters, I will be all over them to be supportive of their daughters the way my wife and I were for them.

        Yours in Scouting!
        Thanks & 73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

        201.314.6964