Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Girls are Scouts too!

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 27, 2013
      As a former Girl Scout leader, short lived because of number 3 below. I consider your third point a problem. A story, when my girls joined a Cadette/Senior troop the leader turned down help from 3 of us who had camping experience and were willing to take the GSUSA training. The leaders were myself and two women all of us were friends. We were willing to pick up the outdoor piece while she did everything else. Sorry, but that ain't how you run ANY kids program. You can't do it by yourself and expect anything to succeed.

      Just my two cents,

      Bill, W2BSA

      On 2/27/2013 11:48, cheryl_beuning wrote:

      A different perspective for you.

      I recently worked a BSA STEM event in the DC area. I am a BSA Merit Badge Counselor & taught the Radio Merit Badge to approx 50 young people. Had on average 12 boys and 1 girl in each of 4 classes. However, they did not offer GSA PROGRAM, rather they offered BSA Merit Badge & Girl Scouts were invited (they were given green cards). There were thousands of boys and only ~100 girls. I did not hear about the event via GSA or BSA. I heard about it via Amateur Radio connections and offered my services as a BSA Counselor.

      GSA program bears NO similarity to BSA. So if you were to call GSA and say "Me and my buddies would like to teach the BSA Radio Merit Badge to your Girl Scouts" you will get a "no thank you".

      1) One thing about GSA is for girls to see female leadership. There are enough "Guys" in the leadership rolls of the world, there are not as many women. So, GSA strives to teach these young ladies that there ARE female in leadership & in the STEM world. Introducing Girls to these females is a PART of Girl Scouts.

      If your Amateur Radio Club would like to offer PROGRAM (not Merit Badge) to Girl Scouts, have your LADIES club organize it. Men can certainly HELP.

      2) Girl Scouts is ALL AGES and ALL GENDER (did you know that?) Yes, there are boys in Girl Scouts. (and a nod to the other side topic - there is no orientation bias either in GSA)

      So, the same PROGRAM for Daisy's is not going to work for Ambassadors. When you are planning what you want to do - what age groups are you developing your PROGRAM for?

      3) Troop Leaders are chief cook and bottle washer. They seldom have help unless they are really good at delegating. seldom!! In BSA you have a team of adult leadership running a troop, keeping track of equipment, and organizing events. In GSA the one adult Leader is already maxed out just trying to keep the girls interested in what the Leader knows and can share.

      YOU will have to educate the leader on a SUBJECT of which they know nothing about, in order to get them to "sell" the activity & subject matter to their girls.

      GSA older troops regularly burn out, yes. Often the GIRLS burn out because the ADULT that has been running the troop (solo) for 5-6 years is burned out. They do not have a team of support like BSA. And in BSA - those troops that do not have a good committee? Yup, they also burn out. GS Troops seldom last for generations. One leader starts a troop of Daisy's and when those girls are done, the troop is done.

      4) How big are you thinking of going??

      One Troop?? bring your equipment to their meeting location?? Give them some exposure to basic radio in 1/2 hour? I have done this.

      One Region (aka Service Unit)?? & Tie in with another event??

      Or one Counsel?? Perhaps hook up with their local STEM event?? Yes, they do have them.

      5) What venue will you be using? Girl Scouts is non-secular (another difference than BSA. Not all churches approve of this. Some are fine, but not all. As a result GSA can have a hard time getting church facilities which are sometimes the only (free) source of large venues. Cities and counties charge for the use of their community centers.

      Yes, Girls are Scouts too.

      However Lord Baden-Powell did not create Girl Scouts / Girl Guides. In fact, he rejected girls in his Boy Scout program. Lady Agnes Baden-Powell started Girl Guides (1911) & Juliette Gordon Low to start Girl Scouts (1912). It's a different program and has been since it's inception. Don't try to make it something else.

    • Frank Krizan
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28, 2013
        Similarly, take a look at a program developed by Mark Spencer of ARRL:

        This is an ARRL legacy document.  At Camp Whispering Cedars (GSUSA) in Dallas, we sent the
        Girl Scout Radio Badge image to a patch manufacturer to copy.  Last we heard (several years ago)
        was that the original source no longer supplied the badges.  The ARRL no longer mentions this program
        on their Scouting pages.

        The Girl Scout Radio Badge was an adaptation of the BSA Radio Merit Badge.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

        This old ARRL publication has a suggested radio badge for different levels of Girl Scouts.

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 5:08 PM, J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

        Hi Folks!

        Given that I have three sons who are Scouts/Scouters (2 Eagles, 1 on the way) and my belief that daughters need quality programs, I might be inclined to put some young ladies through the Radio Merit Badge program and simply issue them the badge…probably not an action compliant with BSA policy, but it would be worth it to see the reaction of a GSUSA adult when she spots a Girl Scout/Venturer with a Radio Merit Badge patch on their vest!  J

        It is hard enough to get the parents of boys to engage in traditional Boy Scouting programs.  From my experience, it is even harder to get parents to support their daughters in Venturing, especially if the program is similar to that of a Boy Scout Troop with respect to the high adventure activities.  That is a shame.  If my sons have daughters, I will be all over them to be supportive of their daughters the way my wife and I were for them.

        Yours in Scouting!
        Thanks & 73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT