on-topic - Re: Girls are Scouts too!

  • Malcolm - G4CXT
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 26, 2013
      Agreed Gary!

      Interesting nerves touched however.

      An activity which I did with our Explorer Scouts just before JOTA last year was to build simple morse code boxes - the 'key' was a simple non-latching miniature button switch and there was a switch to choose between a piezo-electric sounder or a high-powered 10mm LED, all driven by a 9V battery.

      We set up a small production line to make a batch of 6 units, all of which worked first time much to the delight of the Explorer Scouts (aged 14 - 17)

      They then took it upon themselves to set up QSOs from one end of the room to the either, either audio or visual and started 'communicating via code.  They have yet to take them out on a dark night and really test the LED part, but with care they should work at 30 to 40m distance.

      It was fascinating to see how they pitched in to all aspects of this project, even beginning to learn some Morse.

      For the statistics, 60% of the Scouts in the Unit are young ladies and they were just at home with soldering irons and drills as the guys.

      Pics:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolm-bell/8131507886/in/photostream

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolm-bell/8131481475/in/photostream/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolm-bell/8131508702/in/photostream/

      73

      Malcolm - G4CXT

      On 27/02/2013 00:14, wb2boo wrote:
      Ok let's back to the topic of teaching Scouts about Amateur Radio.  This isn't the forum for discussing membership trends in different countries, membership policies, etc.  There are numerous other forums for that.

      Thanks & 73

      Gary, K2GW

    • Frank Krizan
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28, 2013
        Similarly, take a look at a program developed by Mark Spencer of ARRL:

        This is an ARRL legacy document.  At Camp Whispering Cedars (GSUSA) in Dallas, we sent the
        Girl Scout Radio Badge image to a patch manufacturer to copy.  Last we heard (several years ago)
        was that the original source no longer supplied the badges.  The ARRL no longer mentions this program
        on their Scouting pages.

        The Girl Scout Radio Badge was an adaptation of the BSA Radio Merit Badge.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

        This old ARRL publication has a suggested radio badge for different levels of Girl Scouts.

        wunder
        K6WRU

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 5:08 PM, J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

        Hi Folks!

        Given that I have three sons who are Scouts/Scouters (2 Eagles, 1 on the way) and my belief that daughters need quality programs, I might be inclined to put some young ladies through the Radio Merit Badge program and simply issue them the badge…probably not an action compliant with BSA policy, but it would be worth it to see the reaction of a GSUSA adult when she spots a Girl Scout/Venturer with a Radio Merit Badge patch on their vest!  J

        It is hard enough to get the parents of boys to engage in traditional Boy Scouting programs.  From my experience, it is even harder to get parents to support their daughters in Venturing, especially if the program is similar to that of a Boy Scout Troop with respect to the high adventure activities.  That is a shame.  If my sons have daughters, I will be all over them to be supportive of their daughters the way my wife and I were for them.

        Yours in Scouting!
        Thanks & 73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

        201.314.6964