Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Girls are Scouts too!

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 26, 2013
      By "modern progressive world" do you mean screwed up?

      This may come as a complete shock to you Malcolm but not everyone sees
      it your way. Calling names to those that don't see it "your way" is not
      very scout like now is it?

      I'm glad you have an opinion on the matter, and I support your ability
      to share it, but please don't get all puffed up when someone disagrees
      with it.

      73

      On 2/26/2013 5:21 PM, Malcolm - G4CXT wrote:

      > Homophobia or differentiating between people because of their sexual
      > orientation has no place in the world-wide family of Scouts or indeed
      > amateur radio (in an attempt to keep this thread on-topic!).
      >
      > BSA's current position is untenable in a modern progressive world. If
      > adults leaders can't deal with reality then its best that they move on
      > in my opinion.
      > 73
      >
      > Malcolm - G4CXT
      > On 26/02/2013 21:59, Stephen M. Shearer wrote:
      >> I think the next polarizing issue BSA is going to deal with is the
      >> gay issue if they go gay. I know adults that will leave.

    • Frank Krizan
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28, 2013
        Similarly, take a look at a program developed by Mark Spencer of ARRL:

        This is an ARRL legacy document.  At Camp Whispering Cedars (GSUSA) in Dallas, we sent the
        Girl Scout Radio Badge image to a patch manufacturer to copy.  Last we heard (several years ago)
        was that the original source no longer supplied the badges.  The ARRL no longer mentions this program
        on their Scouting pages.

        The Girl Scout Radio Badge was an adaptation of the BSA Radio Merit Badge.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

        This old ARRL publication has a suggested radio badge for different levels of Girl Scouts.

        wunder
        K6WRU

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 5:08 PM, J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

        Hi Folks!

        Given that I have three sons who are Scouts/Scouters (2 Eagles, 1 on the way) and my belief that daughters need quality programs, I might be inclined to put some young ladies through the Radio Merit Badge program and simply issue them the badge…probably not an action compliant with BSA policy, but it would be worth it to see the reaction of a GSUSA adult when she spots a Girl Scout/Venturer with a Radio Merit Badge patch on their vest!  J

        It is hard enough to get the parents of boys to engage in traditional Boy Scouting programs.  From my experience, it is even harder to get parents to support their daughters in Venturing, especially if the program is similar to that of a Boy Scout Troop with respect to the high adventure activities.  That is a shame.  If my sons have daughters, I will be all over them to be supportive of their daughters the way my wife and I were for them.

        Yours in Scouting!
        Thanks & 73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

        201.314.6964