RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Girls are Scouts too!

  • Jamie Holmes
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 26, 2013

      Jim,

      it is sad news indeed. While I agree that numbers had declined for some years we are again above 2011 numbers, not by much but doing a darn sight better than Girl Guides.

      Todays youth have so many other opportunities for activities and although we are trying to appeal to the youth directly we need to also educate their parents.

      Our issue in the Greater Toronto Area is our large "new Canadian" population that may not recognize scouting from where they came from. While this may sound innapropriate it is a recognized and spoken about issue up here. There is a troop in Mississauga (where I live) that is all chinese.  All sections meet on Saturday afternoon, have a combined opening and then split off to their own activities, they also have a combined closing horeshoe.  The must be doing something right as they have 178 members fro ages 5 through to 26.

      We have been working quite diligently to increase our numbers and its something we all need to do on an on-going basis.  I believe that retention hinges on 2  things, fun engaging program and activities, educated parents who see value in their children participating in our programs.

      I can only imagine what our number would be like if we hadn't gone Co- Ed

      Jamie Holmes

      Vice President

      (v) 905-820-2552x205   I   (f) 905-820-2558

      (e) jamie@...  I  www.mastermechanic.ca

      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28, 2013
        Similarly, take a look at a program developed by Mark Spencer of ARRL:

        This is an ARRL legacy document.  At Camp Whispering Cedars (GSUSA) in Dallas, we sent the
        Girl Scout Radio Badge image to a patch manufacturer to copy.  Last we heard (several years ago)
        was that the original source no longer supplied the badges.  The ARRL no longer mentions this program
        on their Scouting pages.

        The Girl Scout Radio Badge was an adaptation of the BSA Radio Merit Badge.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

        This old ARRL publication has a suggested radio badge for different levels of Girl Scouts.

        wunder
        K6WRU

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 5:08 PM, J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

        Hi Folks!

        Given that I have three sons who are Scouts/Scouters (2 Eagles, 1 on the way) and my belief that daughters need quality programs, I might be inclined to put some young ladies through the Radio Merit Badge program and simply issue them the badge…probably not an action compliant with BSA policy, but it would be worth it to see the reaction of a GSUSA adult when she spots a Girl Scout/Venturer with a Radio Merit Badge patch on their vest!  J

        It is hard enough to get the parents of boys to engage in traditional Boy Scouting programs.  From my experience, it is even harder to get parents to support their daughters in Venturing, especially if the program is similar to that of a Boy Scout Troop with respect to the high adventure activities.  That is a shame.  If my sons have daughters, I will be all over them to be supportive of their daughters the way my wife and I were for them.

        Yours in Scouting!
        Thanks & 73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

        201.314.6964