Re: [ScoutRadio] My Radio Merit Badge Schedule

  • Albert Furlow
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
      Bill,

      can you share your syllabus?

      AL KA1FFO
      T 119 BAC

      From: Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...>
      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:18 AM
      Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] My Radio Merit Badge Schedule

      Looks like our course sylabus for our Technician Class license course. We dial in the contacts for those who are working toward the Merit badge as well. But, by the time they are done they will have a Merit Badge and their first FCC license.
      We have had some that got radio merit badge and then came to our class because the radio bug bit them hard. SO you can go either way with this.

      Great way to run a day long merit badge class. This will get forwarded to my Venturing Crew.

      73, Bill, W2BSA

      On 2/5/2013 23:18, Walter Underwood wrote:

      Here is the schedule I used to teach Radio MB a couple of times at our STEM merit badge midway. I had 20+ Scouts each time. The second time, I worked in some radio QSO time before lunch because they got fidgity. I really like the Walter Cronkite video.

      I had three or four licensed operators to oversee the QSOs, myself included.

      Stations:
      * SWL receiver for WWV
      * 2m go box with mobile rig
      * multiple 2m HTs (enough 2m gear for three simultaneous QSOs)
      * HF station for SKYWARN Recognition Day
      * PSK31 station

      Requirement numbers are in parentheses. See requirements here: http://usscouts.org/mb/mb093.asp

      8:30
      form patrols (always the first step in Scouting)
      tune in WWV - explain it is coming from Colorado, bouncing off the ionosphere
      collect blue cards
      hand out worksheets
      show intro video (Walter Cronkite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2r1Y9tlia0)

      9:00
      kinds of radio (1)
      purpose of amateur radio
      call signs
      phonetic alphabet

      9:30
      bands, propagation (2a,b)
      regulation (2c)
      spectrum (3)
      licenses

      10:00
      exercise to practice call signs and phonetic alphabet
      spell your name, patrol name with a buddy
      QSO scripts with a buddy

      10:30
      circuits, schematics (4, 5, 9.a.6)
      ID components from the junk box

      11:00
      safety (6)
      careers (8)

      11:30
      lunch!

      12:30
      amateur radio purpose (9.a.1)
      licenses (9.a.4)
      Q-signs (9.a.3)
      emergency calls (9.a.5)

      1:30 - 3:30
      various radio activities (7, 9.a.2)
      rotate between stations
      * 2m QSOs
      * HF QSOs
      * PSK31 QSOa
      * participate in N6NFI youth net (2pm)
      full group activity
      * search parties with net control
      sign blue cards while they are busy

      3:30
      hand out signed blue cards
      go home

      wunder
      --
      Walter Underwood
      Venture ASM

    • rahwayflynn
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
        If your in southern NJ and teaching radio merit badge or a license course:

        The N2MO station and classroom are available for use.

        See www.infoage.org and click on the exhibit tab, then OMARC.

        73 Martin Flynn
        W2RWJ

        From: Albert Furlow <albeham@...>
        Sender: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 05:26:48 -0800 (PST)
        To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com<ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
          Here it is. Notice it is over 4 weekends with a test make-up the week after the end of the class at the normal Laurel Amateur Radio Club VE session run by the Mount Vernon Amateur Radio Club Team.

          January 12, 19, 26, and February 2, 2013

          Read Ahead Week # 2 - Ham Radio License Manual - Chapters 1, 7, 8, 9, 2, 4

          Assignment:Week # 3 - Ham Radio License Manual - Chapters 5, 3, 6,

                              Week # 4 - Ham Radio License Manual - Chapters

          FourSuccessive Saturdays in January and February 2013:

          Week 1 - January 12    3:00 PM - 5:00 PM (Orientation and Study Materials Distribution)

          Week 2 - January 19    9:00 AM - 3:00 PM (Instruction)

          Week 3 - January 26    9:00 AM - 3:00 PM (Instruction)

          Week 4 - February 2     9:00 AM - 4:30 PM (Instruction, Review and Exam)

          February 9   9:00 AM - 11:30 AM (Make-up Exam)

          Day 1 - Introductions
          Course Overview
          What to prepare for next week
          Day 2
          Chapter 3  Basic Electricity -
          Electrical Principles
          Components & Units
          Circuits

          Chapter 2 - Radio and Signals and waves -
          Modulation -
          Types of Radios -

          Chapter 3.3 Basic Types of: Radios, Equipment, Equipment Definitions
          Day 3

          Chapter 4 - Propagation -
          How signals travel
          Antenna Basics -  -
          Feed Lines -
          What is SWR -
          Repeater -
          Digital Modes -
          Chapter 5 - Equipment -
          Rx Tx Xcvr
          Power Supplies -
          HT RFI

          Chapter 6 - Communicating with other hams - RST
          Nets
          Day 4
          Emergency Comms -
          Special Modes

          Chapter 7
          Licensing Regulations
          Licensing Terms -
          Working with the FCC -
          Bands and Privileges -
          International Rules -
          Call Signs -

          Chapter 8
          Operating Regulations
          Control Operators
          Identification
          Interference -
          Third - Party Communications
          Remote and Automatic Operation
          Prohibited transmissions -

          Chapter 9
          Electrical and RF Safety -
          RF Exposure -
          Mechanical
          VE Exam session
          Normal VE session, one week later at the same place

          Bill