My Radio Merit Badge Schedule

  • Walter Underwood
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
      Here is the schedule I used to teach Radio MB a couple of times at our STEM merit badge midway. I had 20+ Scouts each time. The second time, I worked in some radio QSO time before lunch because they got fidgity. I really like the Walter Cronkite video.

      I had three or four licensed operators to oversee the QSOs, myself included.

      Stations:
      * SWL receiver for WWV
      * 2m go box with mobile rig
      * multiple 2m HTs (enough 2m gear for three simultaneous QSOs)
      * HF station for SKYWARN Recognition Day
      * PSK31 station

      Requirement numbers are in parentheses. See requirements here: http://usscouts.org/mb/mb093.asp

      8:30
      form patrols (always the first step in Scouting)
      tune in WWV - explain it is coming from Colorado, bouncing off the ionosphere
      collect blue cards
      hand out worksheets
      show intro video (Walter Cronkite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2r1Y9tlia0)

      9:00
      kinds of radio (1)
      purpose of amateur radio
      call signs
      phonetic alphabet

      9:30
      bands, propagation (2a,b)
      regulation (2c)
      spectrum (3)
      licenses

      10:00
      exercise to practice call signs and phonetic alphabet
      spell your name, patrol name with a buddy
      QSO scripts with a buddy

      10:30
      circuits, schematics (4, 5, 9.a.6)
      ID components from the junk box

      11:00
      safety (6)
      careers (8)

      11:30
      lunch!

      12:30
      amateur radio purpose (9.a.1)
      licenses (9.a.4)
      Q-signs (9.a.3)
      emergency calls (9.a.5)

      1:30 - 3:30
      various radio activities (7, 9.a.2)
      rotate between stations
      * 2m QSOs
      * HF QSOs
      * PSK31 QSOa
      * participate in N6NFI youth net (2pm)
      full group activity
      * search parties with net control
      sign blue cards while they are busy

      3:30
      hand out signed blue cards
      go home

      wunder
      --
      Walter Underwood
      Venture ASM

    • Bill Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
        Looks like our course sylabus for our Technician Class license course. We dial in the contacts for those who are working toward the Merit badge as well. But, by the time they are done they will have a Merit Badge and their first FCC license.
        We have had some that got radio merit badge and then came to our class because the radio bug bit them hard. SO you can go either way with this.

        Great way to run a day long merit badge class. This will get forwarded to my Venturing Crew.

        73, Bill, W2BSA

      • Albert Furlow
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
          Bill,

          can you share your syllabus?

          AL KA1FFO
          T 119 BAC

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
            If your in southern NJ and teaching radio merit badge or a license course:

            The N2MO station and classroom are available for use.

            See www.infoage.org and click on the exhibit tab, then OMARC.

            73 Martin Flynn
            W2RWJ

            From: Albert Furlow <albeham@...>
            Sender: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 05:26:48 -0800 (PST)
            To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com<ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

            Bill,

            can you share your syllabus?

            AL KA1FFO
            T 119 BAC

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
              Here it is. Notice it is over 4 weekends with a test make-up the week after the end of the class at the normal Laurel Amateur Radio Club VE session run by the Mount Vernon Amateur Radio Club Team.

              January 12, 19, 26, and February 2, 2013

              Read Ahead Week # 2 - Ham Radio License Manual - Chapters 1, 7, 8, 9, 2, 4

              Assignment:Week # 3 - Ham Radio License Manual - Chapters 5, 3, 6,

                                  Week # 4 - Ham Radio License Manual - Chapters

              FourSuccessive Saturdays in January and February 2013:

              Week 1 - January 12    3:00 PM - 5:00 PM (Orientation and Study Materials Distribution)

              Week 2 - January 19    9:00 AM - 3:00 PM (Instruction)

              Week 3 - January 26    9:00 AM - 3:00 PM (Instruction)

              Week 4 - February 2     9:00 AM - 4:30 PM (Instruction, Review and Exam)

              February 9   9:00 AM - 11:30 AM (Make-up Exam)

              Day 1 - Introductions
              Course Overview
              What to prepare for next week
              Day 2
              Chapter 3  Basic Electricity -
              Electrical Principles
              Components & Units
              Circuits

              Chapter 2 - Radio and Signals and waves -
              Modulation -
              Types of Radios -

              Chapter 3.3 Basic Types of: Radios, Equipment, Equipment Definitions
              Day 3

              Chapter 4 - Propagation -
              How signals travel
              Antenna Basics -  -
              Feed Lines -
              What is SWR -
              Repeater -
              Digital Modes -
              Chapter 5 - Equipment -
              Rx Tx Xcvr
              Power Supplies -
              HT RFI

              Chapter 6 - Communicating with other hams - RST
              Nets
              Day 4
              Emergency Comms -
              Special Modes

              Chapter 7
              Licensing Regulations
              Licensing Terms -
              Working with the FCC -
              Bands and Privileges -
              International Rules -
              Call Signs -

              Chapter 8
              Operating Regulations
              Control Operators
              Identification
              Interference -
              Third - Party Communications
              Remote and Automatic Operation
              Prohibited transmissions -

              Chapter 9
              Electrical and RF Safety -
              RF Exposure -
              Mechanical
              VE Exam session
              Normal VE session, one week later at the same place

              Bill

              On 2/6/2013 08:26, Albert Furlow wrote:

              Bill,

              can you share your syllabus?