Re: Ice Breakers: Radio Merit Badge

  • James Luhn
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2013
      Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
      -james
    • Bill Blake
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2013
        Thanks for sharing these.  Perfect timing, I'm teaching Radio MB in 2 weeks.

        YIS / 73,  Bill  KD8RLB

        On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM, cheryl b <cheryl.beuning@...> wrote:

        Good Afternoon All,

        Some things I have done for BSA Radio Merit Badge Events.

        1) At a non-camp event, generally the boys will have cell phones out and will be discussing something / an app / or song.  I will "thank them for coming prepared with their own radio's!!"  :)  And explain that Cell technology started with, and uses, Radio.

        They generally think that is pretty cool that they are being congratulated already!

        - if they don't have their cell phones out, I will ask if they have one, take it out - "thank you for coming prepared (as above) - and them take this opportunity to keep the phone turned ON for the class :)  To be prepared."

        Seriously, they love this, it is very empowering.

        "However, Common Cell Phone courtesy applies, please set your phone on vibrate, if you absolutely MUST take an emergency call or answer a text, please step out of the room until you are done so that you don't distract the class."

        2) As an ice breaker activity and to open the Radio course, I assign call signs to the scouts for the duration of the class.

        Supplies distributed while folks are arriving for class

        81/2 x 11 blank paper 1 for each, w/ spares

        Markers - colorful

        Handout of the Phonetic Alphabet

        I will introduce My call sign and write it on a Placard and Wall Board if one is available.  Using an 8 1/2 x 11 blank sheet of paper, fold it once the long way to create a tent.  We are assigning your call signs & making Name Placards!

        Based on either the meeting QTH or the camp QTH determine the first letters and number.  Then let them use their personal two or three initials to create a vanity call sign. (always, someone will ask for 4 initials - nope sorry, 3 is the limit)

        This introduces the concept of Call Signs and what they are used for (your name / identifier)

          Then read off some of the Scout call signs phonetically.  AND introduces phonetic alphabet all at the same time

        Going around the room, have the boys read their own CallSign out loud, phonetically, so everyone can compare call signs and make sure we have no duplicates.  Duplicates are not allowed.  Each is unique and make adjustments as necessary

        ~~~~

        Then I will roll into Broadcast Call Signs:

        "How many listened to AM/FM Radio today?".

        "Which station did you listen to?"

        "What is it's call sign?"

        Eye's will LIGHT UP!!  Yup, Broadcast Radio are assigned Call Signs also!  Introduce the K for West of the Mississippi and W for East of the Mississippi.

        Invariably SOMEONE will know a Station for which this does not apply (even if it's an adult) to which I will ask if they know why that is??  (generally will get an "um no") Even if no one knows this I will let them know that there are exceptions:

        Such as KDKA in Pittsburgh and WFAA in Dallas-Fort Worth, but these are historical artifacts from a rule change in the 1930s

        ~~~~
        Another exception to this is that all time broadcasting stations have a three or four letter call sign beginning with WWV. The three current government-operated time stations, WWV and WWVH, are located in Fort Collins, Colorado and Kekaha, Hawaii, respectively, both of which would normally use call signs beginning with K.

        Ask everyone what time it is.  There will be differences.  Some will check a watch, most will pull out a cell phone.  "How can we all get on the same time?"

        Since they have their phones out - ask the boys to program a phone number into their cell phone:  303-499-7111 (for WWV).  This gives them a physical action to tie in this information AND they can follow up or listen again after they get home.

        While they are doing this I use MY cell phone to call & put it on speaker phone to let everyone listen.  If it's a big group, have them gather in close.  (get them up, moving & that blood circulating)

        ~~~~

        "Since each Call Sign must be unique - who controls the assigning of Call Signs?"

        Introduce the FCC & ITU  - as the Entities that oversees Radio Communications and assigns Call Signs to all - Amateurs, Broadcast, TV stations, Air Traffic Control, Marine....  But they do much more than that.  Who else needs Radio Frequencies?

        ~~~~

        If I keep the energy up and keep things moving, with a group of 20 boys I can cover this material in 20-30 minutes.  Take a break & stand up while handing out a handout of a detailed Band Chart and moving into the next batch of activities.

      • Dave Greig
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2013
          I have been a lurker for a couple months and I want to thank you all for this group. I taught a very successful Radio Merit Badge class on Saturday my best in 10 years. And it was all due to some the ice breakers and other info I picked up here.

          Here's an ATTA Boy or (Girl) to the group

          Thank You!
          Dave Greig N3BUO

          On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM, James Luhn <luhn@...> wrote:

          Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
          -james

        • n5hyp
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2013
            Just a quick but fun ice breaker at the beginning of each class. I hand out a bag of ping pong balls. Each Scouts gets a few, and I tell them that they should spend the next minute throwing some of them directly to eachother, some scoot across the floor and some bouncing them off the ceiling. They have never been in a class where they are told to randomly throw stuff around the roon. I then tell them that just like all those balls flying around the room, radio and electromagnetic waves are everywhere. When we get to the part on direct wave, sky wave and ground wave propagation, I can refer back to the ping pong balls.

            73, Tom, N5HYP.
          • cheryl_beuning
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2013
              NICE one!