Re: [ScoutRadio] Materials for Doing Radio Merit Badge

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hi all,

      I must admit that my comment on the K & W broadcast calls has enlightened me and I sincerely appreciate all the References. I must admit that I now know a lot more on the subject and I thank all who contributed.

      A blanket statement on new call sign "assignments" may be true, but, when one hears a station, it may not follow the rule due to "grandfathering" or some other agreement. I suspect I spoke too soon on Jack's statement in his syllabus which states for 1.c " explain how the Mississippi river is the dividing line between K and W prefixes for broadcast" without knowing the full details of the explanation.

      I live in Texas where I've grown up with a mixture of K & W calls.

      Regardless, I like Jack's syllabus and I'd be curious to know if others out there have others they could share regarding Summer Camp Radio Merit Badge courses.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN
      Garland, TX

      On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Stephen M. Shearer" <wb3lgc@...> wrote:

      > Even better answer… See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
      >
      > <image001.gif>

      <<< snip ... snip >>>
    • n5hyp
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
        Go to our Irving amateur Radio Club site as we have some of the videos, (Not the Katrina one however) available there as well as other materials he have put together for Scouts who take the classes at the National Scouting Museum.

        http://irvingarc.org/rmb/

        Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
      • Jeff Montgomery
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

          1c is about broadcast radio.

          K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
          changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
          that untrue today? When did it change?

          Thanks es 73
          de KB9BVN

          WBAP is in Dallas Texas. Turned on by Hebert Hoover when he was Commerce
          Secretary

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBAP_%28AM%29

          WFAA also in Dallas

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFAA

          and here is a history of the Ks and Ws and all the exceptions

          http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm#kwmap

          73
          Jeff
          WB4WXD