RE: [ScoutRadio] Materials for Doing Radio Merit Badge

  • Stephen M. Shearer
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

      Even better answer…  See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

      K/W CALLS TODAY

      From: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Stephen M. Shearer
      Sent: 27 January, 2013 10:08 AM
      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ScoutRadio] Materials for Doing Radio Merit Badge

      There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
      there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

      73, Steve

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
        Can one download the video segments referenced in the National Radio Scouting Committee slides?  If so, where?  The "Katrina, the Untold Story" looks interesting.
        	--Chad Kidder
        On 01/19/2013 07:31 AM, Frank Krizan wrote:
        Hi Chad,

        Excellent resources are available at:  http://www.scouting.org/jota/radio_merit_badge.aspx

        This link available via k2bsa.net "Links" section.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        On Jan 18, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

        I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
        teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
        materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

        --

        --Chad Kidder
        KJ5C

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
            ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
          Hi Chad,

          It looks like it's available here: http://www.arrl.org/emcomm-video

          73, Frank KR1ZAN
          Garland, TX

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
            Hi all,

            I must admit that my comment on the K & W broadcast calls has enlightened me and I sincerely appreciate all the References. I must admit that I now know a lot more on the subject and I thank all who contributed.

            A blanket statement on new call sign "assignments" may be true, but, when one hears a station, it may not follow the rule due to "grandfathering" or some other agreement. I suspect I spoke too soon on Jack's statement in his syllabus which states for 1.c " explain how the Mississippi river is the dividing line between K and W prefixes for broadcast" without knowing the full details of the explanation.

            I live in Texas where I've grown up with a mixture of K & W calls.

            Regardless, I like Jack's syllabus and I'd be curious to know if others out there have others they could share regarding Summer Camp Radio Merit Badge courses.

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX

            On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Stephen M. Shearer" <wb3lgc@...> wrote:

            > Even better answer… See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
            >
            > <image001.gif>

            <<< snip ... snip >>>
          • n5hyp
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
              Go to our Irving amateur Radio Club site as we have some of the videos, (Not the Katrina one however) available there as well as other materials he have put together for Scouts who take the classes at the National Scouting Museum.

              http://irvingarc.org/rmb/

              Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
            • Jeff Montgomery
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                1c is about broadcast radio.

                K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                that untrue today? When did it change?

                Thanks es 73
                de KB9BVN

                WBAP is in Dallas Texas. Turned on by Hebert Hoover when he was Commerce
                Secretary

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBAP_%28AM%29

                WFAA also in Dallas

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFAA

                and here is a history of the Ks and Ws and all the exceptions

                http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm#kwmap

                73
                Jeff
                WB4WXD