Re: [ScoutRadio] Materials for Doing Radio Merit Badge

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
      I did some Wikipedia digging and found this:

      KDKA enjoys grandfathered status as one of six remaining stations east
      of the Mississippi River that have call letters beginning with K. Three
      of them are in Pittsburgh, the other two being KDKA-FM (KDKA's sister
      station) and KQV, as well as KDKA's longtime sister station KYW in
      Philadelphia (though the KYW callsign has in the past been used in
      Chicago & Cleveland) KTGG Okemos, Michigan, and KFIZ in Fond du Lac,
      Wisconsin.

      KDKA got their license in 1920 and has claimed to be the very first
      commercially licensed radio station in the world...however other
      stations contend that claim is false.

      According to what I have read on the FCC pages, currently, K's are
      assigned west of the Mississippi and W's to the east.

      73 de KB9BVN

      On 1/27/2013 9:59 AM, williamkasper@... wrote:

      > 1c is about broadcast radio.
      >
      > K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
      > changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
      > that untrue today? When did it change?
      >
      > Thanks es 73
      > de KB9BVN
    • Stephen M. Shearer
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

        Even better answer…  See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

        K/W CALLS TODAY

        There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
        there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

        73, Steve

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
          Can one download the video segments referenced in the National Radio Scouting Committee slides?  If so, where?  The "Katrina, the Untold Story" looks interesting.
          	--Chad Kidder
          On 01/19/2013 07:31 AM, Frank Krizan wrote:
          Hi Chad,

          Excellent resources are available at:  http://www.scouting.org/jota/radio_merit_badge.aspx

          This link available via k2bsa.net "Links" section.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN
          Garland, TX

          On Jan 18, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

          I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
          teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
          materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

          --

          --Chad Kidder
          KJ5C

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
              ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Frank Krizan
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
            Hi Chad,

            It looks like it's available here: http://www.arrl.org/emcomm-video

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
              Hi all,

              I must admit that my comment on the K & W broadcast calls has enlightened me and I sincerely appreciate all the References. I must admit that I now know a lot more on the subject and I thank all who contributed.

              A blanket statement on new call sign "assignments" may be true, but, when one hears a station, it may not follow the rule due to "grandfathering" or some other agreement. I suspect I spoke too soon on Jack's statement in his syllabus which states for 1.c " explain how the Mississippi river is the dividing line between K and W prefixes for broadcast" without knowing the full details of the explanation.

              I live in Texas where I've grown up with a mixture of K & W calls.

              Regardless, I like Jack's syllabus and I'd be curious to know if others out there have others they could share regarding Summer Camp Radio Merit Badge courses.

              73, Frank KR1ZAN
              Garland, TX

              On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Stephen M. Shearer" <wb3lgc@...> wrote:

              > Even better answer… See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
              >
              > <image001.gif>

              <<< snip ... snip >>>
            • n5hyp
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                Go to our Irving amateur Radio Club site as we have some of the videos, (Not the Katrina one however) available there as well as other materials he have put together for Scouts who take the classes at the National Scouting Museum.

                http://irvingarc.org/rmb/

                Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
              • Jeff Montgomery
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                  1c is about broadcast radio.

                  K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                  changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                  that untrue today? When did it change?

                  Thanks es 73
                  de KB9BVN

                  WBAP is in Dallas Texas. Turned on by Hebert Hoover when he was Commerce
                  Secretary

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBAP_%28AM%29

                  WFAA also in Dallas

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFAA

                  and here is a history of the Ks and Ws and all the exceptions

                  http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm#kwmap

                  73
                  Jeff
                  WB4WXD