RE: [ScoutRadio] Materials for Doing Radio Merit Badge

  • Stephen M. Shearer
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
      There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
      there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

      73, Steve

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
        I did some Wikipedia digging and found this:

        KDKA enjoys grandfathered status as one of six remaining stations east
        of the Mississippi River that have call letters beginning with K. Three
        of them are in Pittsburgh, the other two being KDKA-FM (KDKA's sister
        station) and KQV, as well as KDKA's longtime sister station KYW in
        Philadelphia (though the KYW callsign has in the past been used in
        Chicago & Cleveland) KTGG Okemos, Michigan, and KFIZ in Fond du Lac,
        Wisconsin.

        KDKA got their license in 1920 and has claimed to be the very first
        commercially licensed radio station in the world...however other
        stations contend that claim is false.

        According to what I have read on the FCC pages, currently, K's are
        assigned west of the Mississippi and W's to the east.

        73 de KB9BVN

        On 1/27/2013 9:59 AM, williamkasper@... wrote:

        > 1c is about broadcast radio.
        >
        > K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
        > changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
        > that untrue today? When did it change?
        >
        > Thanks es 73
        > de KB9BVN
      • Stephen M. Shearer
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

          Even better answer…  See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

          K/W CALLS TODAY

          There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
          there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

          73, Steve

          K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
          changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
          that untrue today? When did it change?

          Thanks es 73
          de KB9BVN

          On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
          > Jack,
          >
          > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
          "Binder"?

          > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
          copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
          it supplied as part of the class?

          > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
          is not correct (for today, at least).

          > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
          the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
          Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
          Radio in action.

          > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
          pre-printed workbook?

          > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
          >
          > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
          > Garland, TX
          >

          > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard johnhg7@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hello,
          >>

          >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
          camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
          (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
          lesson plan for the 2011 season.

          >> I would love any and all feedback!
          >>
          >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
          >> fPxZmIP800/edit
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >> Jack KC9RGW
          >>
          >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder cckidder@...> wrote:
          > <<< snip ... snip >>>

          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        • Chad Kidder
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
            Can one download the video segments referenced in the National Radio Scouting Committee slides?  If so, where?  The "Katrina, the Untold Story" looks interesting.
            	--Chad Kidder
            On 01/19/2013 07:31 AM, Frank Krizan wrote:
            Hi Chad,

            Excellent resources are available at:  http://www.scouting.org/jota/radio_merit_badge.aspx

            This link available via k2bsa.net "Links" section.

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX

            On Jan 18, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

            I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
            teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
            materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

            --

            --Chad Kidder
            KJ5C

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Frank Krizan
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
              Hi Chad,

              It looks like it's available here: http://www.arrl.org/emcomm-video

              73, Frank KR1ZAN
              Garland, TX

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                Hi all,

                I must admit that my comment on the K & W broadcast calls has enlightened me and I sincerely appreciate all the References. I must admit that I now know a lot more on the subject and I thank all who contributed.

                A blanket statement on new call sign "assignments" may be true, but, when one hears a station, it may not follow the rule due to "grandfathering" or some other agreement. I suspect I spoke too soon on Jack's statement in his syllabus which states for 1.c " explain how the Mississippi river is the dividing line between K and W prefixes for broadcast" without knowing the full details of the explanation.

                I live in Texas where I've grown up with a mixture of K & W calls.

                Regardless, I like Jack's syllabus and I'd be curious to know if others out there have others they could share regarding Summer Camp Radio Merit Badge courses.

                73, Frank KR1ZAN
                Garland, TX

                On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Stephen M. Shearer" <wb3lgc@...> wrote:

                > Even better answer… See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
                >
                > <image001.gif>

                <<< snip ... snip >>>
              • n5hyp
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                  Go to our Irving amateur Radio Club site as we have some of the videos, (Not the Katrina one however) available there as well as other materials he have put together for Scouts who take the classes at the National Scouting Museum.

                  http://irvingarc.org/rmb/

                  Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
                • Jeff Montgomery
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                    1c is about broadcast radio.

                    K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                    changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                    that untrue today? When did it change?

                    Thanks es 73
                    de KB9BVN

                    WBAP is in Dallas Texas. Turned on by Hebert Hoover when he was Commerce
                    Secretary

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBAP_%28AM%29

                    WFAA also in Dallas

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFAA

                    and here is a history of the Ks and Ws and all the exceptions

                    http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm#kwmap

                    73
                    Jeff
                    WB4WXD