Re: [ScoutRadio] Materials for Doing Radio Merit Badge

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
      Jack,

      That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the "Binder"?

      It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is it supplied as part of the class?

      You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls is not correct (for today, at least).

      Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham Radio in action.

      Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a pre-printed workbook?

      Thanks for sharing this. I like it.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN
      Garland, TX

      On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >

      > I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.
      >
      > I would love any and all feedback!
      >
      > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIufPxZmIP800/edit
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jack KC9RGW
      >
      > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
      <<< snip ... snip >>>
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
        1c is about broadcast radio.

        K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
        changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
        that untrue today? When did it change?

        Thanks es 73
        de KB9BVN

      • williamkasper@frontiernet.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
          Always exceptions:
          Started a long time ago and still on he air today KDKA, Pittsburg PA
          but generally correct W East; K West.
          Bill WB2SXY

          K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
          changed recently.  Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
          that untrue today? When did it change?

          Thanks es 73
          de KB9BVN

          On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
          > Jack,
          >
          > That's a great syllabus.  Do you have a file which has the contents of the "Binder"?
          >
          > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook.  Do they bring or purchase?  Or, is it supplied as part of the class?
          >
          > You asked for comments:  The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls is not correct (for today, at least).
          >
          > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the Thursday/Friday contact?  It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham Radio in action.
          >
          > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a pre-printed workbook?
          >
          > Thanks for sharing this.  I like it.
          >
          > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
          > Garland, TX
          >

          > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hello,
          >>

          >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.
          >>
          >> I would love any and all feedback!
          >>
          >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIufPxZmIP800/edit
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >> Jack KC9RGW
          >>
          >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
          > <<< snip ... snip >>>

          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
              ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Stephen M. Shearer
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
            There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
            there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

            73, Steve

            K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
            changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
            that untrue today? When did it change?

            Thanks es 73
            de KB9BVN

            On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
            > Jack,
            >
            > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
            "Binder"?

            > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
            copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
            it supplied as part of the class?

            > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
            is not correct (for today, at least).

            > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
            the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
            Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
            Radio in action.

            > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
            pre-printed workbook?

            > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
            >
            > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
            > Garland, TX
            >

            > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hello,
            >>

            >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
            camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
            (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
            lesson plan for the 2011 season.

            >> I would love any and all feedback!
            >>
            >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
            >> fPxZmIP800/edit
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >> Jack KC9RGW
            >>
            >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
            > <<< snip ... snip >>>

            > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          • Brian
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
              I did some Wikipedia digging and found this:

              KDKA enjoys grandfathered status as one of six remaining stations east
              of the Mississippi River that have call letters beginning with K. Three
              of them are in Pittsburgh, the other two being KDKA-FM (KDKA's sister
              station) and KQV, as well as KDKA's longtime sister station KYW in
              Philadelphia (though the KYW callsign has in the past been used in
              Chicago & Cleveland) KTGG Okemos, Michigan, and KFIZ in Fond du Lac,
              Wisconsin.

              KDKA got their license in 1920 and has claimed to be the very first
              commercially licensed radio station in the world...however other
              stations contend that claim is false.

              According to what I have read on the FCC pages, currently, K's are
              assigned west of the Mississippi and W's to the east.

              73 de KB9BVN

              On 1/27/2013 9:59 AM, williamkasper@... wrote:

              > 1c is about broadcast radio.
              >
              > K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
              > changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
              > that untrue today? When did it change?
              >
              > Thanks es 73
              > de KB9BVN
            • Stephen M. Shearer
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                Even better answer…  See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

                K/W CALLS TODAY

                There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
                there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

                73, Steve

                K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                that untrue today? When did it change?

                Thanks es 73
                de KB9BVN

                On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                > Jack,
                >
                > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
                "Binder"?

                > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
                copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
                it supplied as part of the class?

                > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
                is not correct (for today, at least).

                > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
                the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
                Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
                Radio in action.

                > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
                pre-printed workbook?

                > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
                >
                > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                > Garland, TX
                >

                > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard johnhg7@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hello,
                >>

                >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
                camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
                (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
                lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                >> I would love any and all feedback!
                >>
                >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
                >> fPxZmIP800/edit
                >>
                >> Thanks,
                >> Jack KC9RGW
                >>
                >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder cckidder@...> wrote:
                > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

              • Chad Kidder
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                  Can one download the video segments referenced in the National Radio Scouting Committee slides?  If so, where?  The "Katrina, the Untold Story" looks interesting.
                  	--Chad Kidder
                  On 01/19/2013 07:31 AM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                  Hi Chad,

                  Excellent resources are available at:  http://www.scouting.org/jota/radio_merit_badge.aspx

                  This link available via k2bsa.net "Links" section.

                  73, Frank KR1ZAN
                  Garland, TX

                  On Jan 18, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

                  I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
                  teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
                  materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

                  --

                  --Chad Kidder
                  KJ5C

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                    Hi Chad,

                    It looks like it's available here: http://www.arrl.org/emcomm-video

                    73, Frank KR1ZAN
                    Garland, TX

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                      Hi all,

                      I must admit that my comment on the K & W broadcast calls has enlightened me and I sincerely appreciate all the References. I must admit that I now know a lot more on the subject and I thank all who contributed.

                      A blanket statement on new call sign "assignments" may be true, but, when one hears a station, it may not follow the rule due to "grandfathering" or some other agreement. I suspect I spoke too soon on Jack's statement in his syllabus which states for 1.c " explain how the Mississippi river is the dividing line between K and W prefixes for broadcast" without knowing the full details of the explanation.

                      I live in Texas where I've grown up with a mixture of K & W calls.

                      Regardless, I like Jack's syllabus and I'd be curious to know if others out there have others they could share regarding Summer Camp Radio Merit Badge courses.

                      73, Frank KR1ZAN
                      Garland, TX

                      On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Stephen M. Shearer" <wb3lgc@...> wrote:

                      > Even better answer… See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
                      >
                      > <image001.gif>

                      <<< snip ... snip >>>
                    • n5hyp
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                        Go to our Irving amateur Radio Club site as we have some of the videos, (Not the Katrina one however) available there as well as other materials he have put together for Scouts who take the classes at the National Scouting Museum.

                        http://irvingarc.org/rmb/

                        Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
                      • Jeff Montgomery
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                          1c is about broadcast radio.

                          K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                          changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                          that untrue today? When did it change?

                          Thanks es 73
                          de KB9BVN

                          WBAP is in Dallas Texas. Turned on by Hebert Hoover when he was Commerce
                          Secretary

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBAP_%28AM%29

                          WFAA also in Dallas

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFAA

                          and here is a history of the Ks and Ws and all the exceptions

                          http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm#kwmap

                          73
                          Jeff
                          WB4WXD