Re: [ScoutRadio] Materials for Doing Radio Merit Badge

  • Chad Kidder
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
      Thanks all y'all for the links!
      	--Chad Kidder
      On 01/19/2013 06:47 AM, Michael Stephan wrote:

      On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

      I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
      teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
      materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

      --

      --Chad Kidder
      KJ5C

    • Jack Girard
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
        Hello,

        I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.

        I would love any and all feedback!

        Thanks,
        Jack KC9RGW

        On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

        Thanks all y'all for the links!
        	--Chad Kidder
        On 01/19/2013 06:47 AM, Michael Stephan wrote:

        On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

        I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
        teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
        materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

        --

        --Chad Kidder
        KJ5C

      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
          Jack,

          That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the "Binder"?

          It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is it supplied as part of the class?

          You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls is not correct (for today, at least).

          Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham Radio in action.

          Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a pre-printed workbook?

          Thanks for sharing this. I like it.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN
          Garland, TX

          On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >

          > I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.
          >
          > I would love any and all feedback!
          >
          > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIufPxZmIP800/edit
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jack KC9RGW
          >
          > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
          <<< snip ... snip >>>
        • Brian
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
            1c is about broadcast radio.

            K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
            changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
            that untrue today? When did it change?

            Thanks es 73
            de KB9BVN

          • williamkasper@frontiernet.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
              Always exceptions:
              Started a long time ago and still on he air today KDKA, Pittsburg PA
              but generally correct W East; K West.
              Bill WB2SXY

              K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
              changed recently.  Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
              that untrue today? When did it change?

              Thanks es 73
              de KB9BVN

              On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
              > Jack,
              >
              > That's a great syllabus.  Do you have a file which has the contents of the "Binder"?
              >
              > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook.  Do they bring or purchase?  Or, is it supplied as part of the class?
              >
              > You asked for comments:  The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls is not correct (for today, at least).
              >
              > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the Thursday/Friday contact?  It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham Radio in action.
              >
              > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a pre-printed workbook?
              >
              > Thanks for sharing this.  I like it.
              >
              > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
              > Garland, TX
              >

              > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hello,
              >>

              >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.
              >>
              >> I would love any and all feedback!
              >>
              >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIufPxZmIP800/edit
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >> Jack KC9RGW
              >>
              >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
              > <<< snip ... snip >>>

              > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Stephen M. Shearer
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
                there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

                73, Steve

                K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                that untrue today? When did it change?

                Thanks es 73
                de KB9BVN

                On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                > Jack,
                >
                > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
                "Binder"?

                > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
                copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
                it supplied as part of the class?

                > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
                is not correct (for today, at least).

                > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
                the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
                Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
                Radio in action.

                > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
                pre-printed workbook?

                > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
                >
                > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                > Garland, TX
                >

                > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hello,
                >>

                >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
                camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
                (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
                lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                >> I would love any and all feedback!
                >>
                >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
                >> fPxZmIP800/edit
                >>
                >> Thanks,
                >> Jack KC9RGW
                >>
                >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
                > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

              • Brian
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                  I did some Wikipedia digging and found this:

                  KDKA enjoys grandfathered status as one of six remaining stations east
                  of the Mississippi River that have call letters beginning with K. Three
                  of them are in Pittsburgh, the other two being KDKA-FM (KDKA's sister
                  station) and KQV, as well as KDKA's longtime sister station KYW in
                  Philadelphia (though the KYW callsign has in the past been used in
                  Chicago & Cleveland) KTGG Okemos, Michigan, and KFIZ in Fond du Lac,
                  Wisconsin.

                  KDKA got their license in 1920 and has claimed to be the very first
                  commercially licensed radio station in the world...however other
                  stations contend that claim is false.

                  According to what I have read on the FCC pages, currently, K's are
                  assigned west of the Mississippi and W's to the east.

                  73 de KB9BVN

                  On 1/27/2013 9:59 AM, williamkasper@... wrote:

                  > 1c is about broadcast radio.
                  >
                  > K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                  > changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                  > that untrue today? When did it change?
                  >
                  > Thanks es 73
                  > de KB9BVN
                • Stephen M. Shearer
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                    Even better answer…  See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

                    K/W CALLS TODAY

                    There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
                    there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

                    73, Steve

                    K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                    changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                    that untrue today? When did it change?

                    Thanks es 73
                    de KB9BVN

                    On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                    > Jack,
                    >
                    > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
                    "Binder"?

                    > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
                    copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
                    it supplied as part of the class?

                    > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
                    is not correct (for today, at least).

                    > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
                    the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
                    Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
                    Radio in action.

                    > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
                    pre-printed workbook?

                    > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
                    >
                    > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                    > Garland, TX
                    >

                    > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard johnhg7@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hello,
                    >>

                    >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
                    camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
                    (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
                    lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                    >> I would love any and all feedback!
                    >>
                    >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
                    >> fPxZmIP800/edit
                    >>
                    >> Thanks,
                    >> Jack KC9RGW
                    >>
                    >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder cckidder@...> wrote:
                    > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                    > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                  • Chad Kidder
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                      Can one download the video segments referenced in the National Radio Scouting Committee slides?  If so, where?  The "Katrina, the Untold Story" looks interesting.
                      	--Chad Kidder
                      On 01/19/2013 07:31 AM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                      Hi Chad,

                      Excellent resources are available at:  http://www.scouting.org/jota/radio_merit_badge.aspx

                      This link available via k2bsa.net "Links" section.

                      73, Frank KR1ZAN
                      Garland, TX

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                        Hi Chad,

                        It looks like it's available here: http://www.arrl.org/emcomm-video

                        73, Frank KR1ZAN
                        Garland, TX

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                          Hi all,

                          I must admit that my comment on the K & W broadcast calls has enlightened me and I sincerely appreciate all the References. I must admit that I now know a lot more on the subject and I thank all who contributed.

                          A blanket statement on new call sign "assignments" may be true, but, when one hears a station, it may not follow the rule due to "grandfathering" or some other agreement. I suspect I spoke too soon on Jack's statement in his syllabus which states for 1.c " explain how the Mississippi river is the dividing line between K and W prefixes for broadcast" without knowing the full details of the explanation.

                          I live in Texas where I've grown up with a mixture of K & W calls.

                          Regardless, I like Jack's syllabus and I'd be curious to know if others out there have others they could share regarding Summer Camp Radio Merit Badge courses.

                          73, Frank KR1ZAN
                          Garland, TX

                          On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Stephen M. Shearer" <wb3lgc@...> wrote:

                          > Even better answer… See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
                          >
                          > <image001.gif>

                          <<< snip ... snip >>>
                        • n5hyp
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                            Go to our Irving amateur Radio Club site as we have some of the videos, (Not the Katrina one however) available there as well as other materials he have put together for Scouts who take the classes at the National Scouting Museum.

                            http://irvingarc.org/rmb/

                            Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
                          • Jeff Montgomery
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                              1c is about broadcast radio.

                              K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                              changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                              that untrue today? When did it change?

                              Thanks es 73
                              de KB9BVN

                              WBAP is in Dallas Texas. Turned on by Hebert Hoover when he was Commerce
                              Secretary

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBAP_%28AM%29

                              WFAA also in Dallas

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFAA

                              and here is a history of the Ks and Ws and all the exceptions

                              http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm#kwmap

                              73
                              Jeff
                              WB4WXD