APRS at 2013 National Scout Jamboree

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2013

      Folks,

      The nearest digi to the new National (and International) Scout Jamboree area at the Summi, WV is 40 miles away and appears to be an obsolete RELAY-WIDE digi.  We need to get a digipeater in the camp to give HT coverage of the entire camp before summer.

      Take a look: http://aprs.fi/KC8SDN-5  The summit is about 40 miles WSW.

      Finding the radio and TNC is one thing, but the hard part is boots-on-the-ground to determine where to put it and power it.  And test its links to other digis 40 and 80 miles away…

      ICOM is outfitting the entire Jamboree station including 3 Voice repeaters and DSTAR.

      It will be pretty embarrassing if there is no APRS.

      Don Robinson WA4YYM has provided a link to the Ham Radio Plan for Jamboree and the section on APRS is blank.

      http://www.k2bsa.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/K2BSA-Jamboree-Operations-V8.pdf

      Lets start finding out who all will be there and what kind of support we can provide.  Including an Igate would NAIL it for worldwide APRS texting from an HT anywhere in camp.

      Bob, WB4APR

    • Albert Furlow
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2013
        Bob,

        What would we need to do to get this done, who can give us gear for it, etc?

        I'll be there, but not until the start when the boys get in.
        Has anyone talked to K2BSA team and asked them?
        AL KA1FFO