Re: [ScoutRadio] Materials for Doing Radio Merit Badge

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
      Chad,

      Start here: http://www.hamradioinstructor.com/meritbadge.html

      Good luck!

      On 1/18/2013 8:44 PM, Chad Kidder wrote:
      > I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
      > teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
      > materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

    • Dave Greig
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
        +1 - This is what I use.

        Thank You!
        Dave Greig N3BUO

        On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 6:18 AM, Brian <kb9bvn@...> wrote:

        Chad,

        Start here: http://www.hamradioinstructor.com/meritbadge.html

        Good luck!

        On 1/18/2013 8:44 PM, Chad Kidder wrote:
        > I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
        > teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
        > materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

      • Chad Kidder
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
          Thanks all y'all for the links!
          	--Chad Kidder

          --

          --Chad Kidder
          KJ5C

        • Jack Girard
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
            Hello,

            I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.

            I would love any and all feedback!

            Thanks,
            Jack KC9RGW

            On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

            Thanks all y'all for the links!
            	--Chad Kidder
            On 01/19/2013 06:47 AM, Michael Stephan wrote:

            On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

            I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
            teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
            materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

            --

            --Chad Kidder
            KJ5C

          • Frank Krizan
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
              Jack,

              That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the "Binder"?

              It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is it supplied as part of the class?

              You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls is not correct (for today, at least).

              Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham Radio in action.

              Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a pre-printed workbook?

              Thanks for sharing this. I like it.

              73, Frank KR1ZAN
              Garland, TX

              On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >

              > I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.
              >
              > I would love any and all feedback!
              >
              > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIufPxZmIP800/edit
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Jack KC9RGW
              >
              > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
              <<< snip ... snip >>>
            • Brian
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                1c is about broadcast radio.

                K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                that untrue today? When did it change?

                Thanks es 73
                de KB9BVN

              • williamkasper@frontiernet.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                  Always exceptions:
                  Started a long time ago and still on he air today KDKA, Pittsburg PA
                  but generally correct W East; K West.
                  Bill WB2SXY

                  K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                  changed recently.  Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                  that untrue today? When did it change?

                  Thanks es 73
                  de KB9BVN

                  On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                  > Jack,
                  >
                  > That's a great syllabus.  Do you have a file which has the contents of the "Binder"?
                  >
                  > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook.  Do they bring or purchase?  Or, is it supplied as part of the class?
                  >
                  > You asked for comments:  The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls is not correct (for today, at least).
                  >
                  > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the Thursday/Friday contact?  It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham Radio in action.
                  >
                  > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a pre-printed workbook?
                  >
                  > Thanks for sharing this.  I like it.
                  >
                  > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                  > Garland, TX
                  >

                  > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hello,
                  >>

                  >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.
                  >>
                  >> I would love any and all feedback!
                  >>
                  >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIufPxZmIP800/edit
                  >>
                  >> Thanks,
                  >> Jack KC9RGW
                  >>
                  >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
                  > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                  > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Stephen M. Shearer
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                    There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
                    there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

                    73, Steve

                    K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                    changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                    that untrue today? When did it change?

                    Thanks es 73
                    de KB9BVN

                    On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                    > Jack,
                    >
                    > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
                    "Binder"?

                    > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
                    copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
                    it supplied as part of the class?

                    > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
                    is not correct (for today, at least).

                    > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
                    the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
                    Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
                    Radio in action.

                    > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
                    pre-printed workbook?

                    > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
                    >
                    > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                    > Garland, TX
                    >

                    > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hello,
                    >>

                    >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
                    camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
                    (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
                    lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                    >> I would love any and all feedback!
                    >>
                    >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
                    >> fPxZmIP800/edit
                    >>
                    >> Thanks,
                    >> Jack KC9RGW
                    >>
                    >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
                    > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                    > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                  • Brian
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                      I did some Wikipedia digging and found this:

                      KDKA enjoys grandfathered status as one of six remaining stations east
                      of the Mississippi River that have call letters beginning with K. Three
                      of them are in Pittsburgh, the other two being KDKA-FM (KDKA's sister
                      station) and KQV, as well as KDKA's longtime sister station KYW in
                      Philadelphia (though the KYW callsign has in the past been used in
                      Chicago & Cleveland) KTGG Okemos, Michigan, and KFIZ in Fond du Lac,
                      Wisconsin.

                      KDKA got their license in 1920 and has claimed to be the very first
                      commercially licensed radio station in the world...however other
                      stations contend that claim is false.

                      According to what I have read on the FCC pages, currently, K's are
                      assigned west of the Mississippi and W's to the east.

                      73 de KB9BVN

                      On 1/27/2013 9:59 AM, williamkasper@... wrote:

                      > 1c is about broadcast radio.
                      >
                      > K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                      > changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                      > that untrue today? When did it change?
                      >
                      > Thanks es 73
                      > de KB9BVN
                    • Stephen M. Shearer
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                        Even better answer…  See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

                        K/W CALLS TODAY

                        There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
                        there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

                        73, Steve

                        K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                        changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                        that untrue today? When did it change?

                        Thanks es 73
                        de KB9BVN

                        On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                        > Jack,
                        >
                        > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
                        "Binder"?

                        > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
                        copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
                        it supplied as part of the class?

                        > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
                        is not correct (for today, at least).

                        > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
                        the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
                        Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
                        Radio in action.

                        > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
                        pre-printed workbook?

                        > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
                        >
                        > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                        > Garland, TX
                        >

                        > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard johnhg7@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Hello,
                        >>

                        >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
                        camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
                        (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
                        lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                        >> I would love any and all feedback!
                        >>
                        >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
                        >> fPxZmIP800/edit
                        >>
                        >> Thanks,
                        >> Jack KC9RGW
                        >>
                        >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder cckidder@...> wrote:
                        > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                      • Chad Kidder
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                          Can one download the video segments referenced in the National Radio Scouting Committee slides?  If so, where?  The "Katrina, the Untold Story" looks interesting.
                          	--Chad Kidder
                          On 01/19/2013 07:31 AM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                          Hi Chad,

                          Excellent resources are available at:  http://www.scouting.org/jota/radio_merit_badge.aspx

                          This link available via k2bsa.net "Links" section.

                          73, Frank KR1ZAN
                          Garland, TX

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                            Hi Chad,

                            It looks like it's available here: http://www.arrl.org/emcomm-video

                            73, Frank KR1ZAN
                            Garland, TX

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                              Hi all,

                              I must admit that my comment on the K & W broadcast calls has enlightened me and I sincerely appreciate all the References. I must admit that I now know a lot more on the subject and I thank all who contributed.

                              A blanket statement on new call sign "assignments" may be true, but, when one hears a station, it may not follow the rule due to "grandfathering" or some other agreement. I suspect I spoke too soon on Jack's statement in his syllabus which states for 1.c " explain how the Mississippi river is the dividing line between K and W prefixes for broadcast" without knowing the full details of the explanation.

                              I live in Texas where I've grown up with a mixture of K & W calls.

                              Regardless, I like Jack's syllabus and I'd be curious to know if others out there have others they could share regarding Summer Camp Radio Merit Badge courses.

                              73, Frank KR1ZAN
                              Garland, TX

                              On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Stephen M. Shearer" <wb3lgc@...> wrote:

                              > Even better answer… See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
                              >
                              > <image001.gif>

                              <<< snip ... snip >>>
                            • n5hyp
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                                Go to our Irving amateur Radio Club site as we have some of the videos, (Not the Katrina one however) available there as well as other materials he have put together for Scouts who take the classes at the National Scouting Museum.

                                http://irvingarc.org/rmb/

                                Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
                              • Jeff Montgomery
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                                  1c is about broadcast radio.

                                  K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                                  changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                                  that untrue today? When did it change?

                                  Thanks es 73
                                  de KB9BVN

                                  WBAP is in Dallas Texas. Turned on by Hebert Hoover when he was Commerce
                                  Secretary

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBAP_%28AM%29

                                  WFAA also in Dallas

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFAA

                                  and here is a history of the Ks and Ws and all the exceptions

                                  http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm#kwmap

                                  73
                                  Jeff
                                  WB4WXD