Re: [ScoutRadio] Materials for Doing Radio Merit Badge

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
      Chad,

      Start here: http://www.hamradioinstructor.com/meritbadge.html

      Good luck!

      On 1/18/2013 8:44 PM, Chad Kidder wrote:
      > I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
      > teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
      > materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

    • Michael Stephan
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013

        --

        --Chad Kidder
        KJ5C

      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
          Hi Chad,

          Excellent resources are available at: http://www.scouting.org/jota/radio_merit_badge.aspx

          This link available via k2bsa.net "Links" section.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN
          Garland, TX

          On Jan 18, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

          > I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
          > teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
          > materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.
          >
          > --
          >
          > --Chad Kidder
          > KJ5C

        • Dan Romanchik KB6NU
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
            If some of the Scouts are planning to get their Tech licenses in addition to the merit badge, they can download for free my study guide at www.kb6nu.com/tech-manual. This is the study guide they use at the National Jamboree.

            73!

            Dan KB6NU
            CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
            Station Manager, WA2HOM at the Hands-On Museum (www.wa2hom.org)
            Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com

            On Jan 18, 2013, at Jan 18,8:44 PM, Chad Kidder wrote:
            I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
            teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
            materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

            --

            --Chad Kidder
            KJ5C

          • Dave Greig
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
              +1 - This is what I use.

              Thank You!
              Dave Greig N3BUO

              On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 6:18 AM, Brian <kb9bvn@...> wrote:

              Chad,

              Start here: http://www.hamradioinstructor.com/meritbadge.html

              Good luck!

              On 1/18/2013 8:44 PM, Chad Kidder wrote:
              > I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
              > teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
              > materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

            • Chad Kidder

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
                  Hello,

                  I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                  I would love any and all feedback!

                  Thanks,
                  Jack KC9RGW

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Jack,

                    That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the "Binder"?

                    It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is it supplied as part of the class?

                    You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls is not correct (for today, at least).

                    Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham Radio in action.

                    Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a pre-printed workbook?

                    Thanks for sharing this. I like it.

                    73, Frank KR1ZAN
                    Garland, TX

                    On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >

                    > I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.
                    >
                    > I would love any and all feedback!
                    >
                    > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIufPxZmIP800/edit
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Jack KC9RGW
                    >
                    > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
                    <<< snip ... snip >>>
                  • Brian
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                      1c is about broadcast radio.

                      K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                      changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                      that untrue today? When did it change?

                      Thanks es 73
                      de KB9BVN

                    • williamkasper@frontiernet.net
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                        Always exceptions:
                        Started a long time ago and still on he air today KDKA, Pittsburg PA
                        but generally correct W East; K West.
                        Bill WB2SXY

                        K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                        changed recently.  Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                        that untrue today? When did it change?

                        Thanks es 73
                        de KB9BVN

                        On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                        > Jack,
                        >
                        > That's a great syllabus.  Do you have a file which has the contents of the "Binder"?
                        >
                        > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook.  Do they bring or purchase?  Or, is it supplied as part of the class?
                        >
                        > You asked for comments:  The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls is not correct (for today, at least).
                        >
                        > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the Thursday/Friday contact?  It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham Radio in action.
                        >
                        > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a pre-printed workbook?
                        >
                        > Thanks for sharing this.  I like it.
                        >
                        > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                        > Garland, TX
                        >

                        > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Hello,
                        >>

                        >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.
                        >>
                        >> I would love any and all feedback!
                        >>
                        >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIufPxZmIP800/edit
                        >>
                        >> Thanks,
                        >> Jack KC9RGW
                        >>
                        >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
                        > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Stephen M. Shearer
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                          There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
                          there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

                          73, Steve

                          K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                          changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                          that untrue today? When did it change?

                          Thanks es 73
                          de KB9BVN

                          On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                          > Jack,
                          >
                          > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
                          "Binder"?

                          > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
                          copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
                          it supplied as part of the class?

                          > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
                          is not correct (for today, at least).

                          > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
                          the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
                          Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
                          Radio in action.

                          > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
                          pre-printed workbook?

                          > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
                          >
                          > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                          > Garland, TX
                          >

                          > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hello,
                          >>

                          >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
                          camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
                          (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
                          lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                          >> I would love any and all feedback!
                          >>
                          >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
                          >> fPxZmIP800/edit
                          >>
                          >> Thanks,
                          >> Jack KC9RGW
                          >>
                          >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
                          > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                        • Brian
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                            I did some Wikipedia digging and found this:

                            KDKA enjoys grandfathered status as one of six remaining stations east
                            of the Mississippi River that have call letters beginning with K. Three
                            of them are in Pittsburgh, the other two being KDKA-FM (KDKA's sister
                            station) and KQV, as well as KDKA's longtime sister station KYW in
                            Philadelphia (though the KYW callsign has in the past been used in
                            Chicago & Cleveland) KTGG Okemos, Michigan, and KFIZ in Fond du Lac,
                            Wisconsin.

                            KDKA got their license in 1920 and has claimed to be the very first
                            commercially licensed radio station in the world...however other
                            stations contend that claim is false.

                            According to what I have read on the FCC pages, currently, K's are
                            assigned west of the Mississippi and W's to the east.

                            73 de KB9BVN

                            On 1/27/2013 9:59 AM, williamkasper@... wrote:

                            > 1c is about broadcast radio.
                            >
                            > K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                            > changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                            > that untrue today? When did it change?
                            >
                            > Thanks es 73
                            > de KB9BVN
                          • Stephen M. Shearer
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                              Even better answer…  See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

                              K/W CALLS TODAY

                              There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
                              there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

                              73, Steve

                              K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                              changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                              that untrue today? When did it change?

                              Thanks es 73
                              de KB9BVN

                              On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                              > Jack,
                              >
                              > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
                              "Binder"?

                              > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
                              copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
                              it supplied as part of the class?

                              > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
                              is not correct (for today, at least).

                              > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
                              the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
                              Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
                              Radio in action.

                              > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
                              pre-printed workbook?

                              > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
                              >
                              > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                              > Garland, TX
                              >

                              > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard johnhg7@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> Hello,
                              >>

                              >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
                              camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
                              (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
                              lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                              >> I would love any and all feedback!
                              >>
                              >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
                              >> fPxZmIP800/edit
                              >>
                              >> Thanks,
                              >> Jack KC9RGW
                              >>
                              >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder cckidder@...> wrote:
                              > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                              > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                            • Chad Kidder

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                                  Hi Chad,

                                  It looks like it's available here: http://www.arrl.org/emcomm-video

                                  73, Frank KR1ZAN
                                  Garland, TX

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                                    Hi all,

                                    I must admit that my comment on the K & W broadcast calls has enlightened me and I sincerely appreciate all the References. I must admit that I now know a lot more on the subject and I thank all who contributed.

                                    A blanket statement on new call sign "assignments" may be true, but, when one hears a station, it may not follow the rule due to "grandfathering" or some other agreement. I suspect I spoke too soon on Jack's statement in his syllabus which states for 1.c " explain how the Mississippi river is the dividing line between K and W prefixes for broadcast" without knowing the full details of the explanation.

                                    I live in Texas where I've grown up with a mixture of K & W calls.

                                    Regardless, I like Jack's syllabus and I'd be curious to know if others out there have others they could share regarding Summer Camp Radio Merit Badge courses.

                                    73, Frank KR1ZAN
                                    Garland, TX

                                    On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Stephen M. Shearer" <wb3lgc@...> wrote:

                                    > Even better answer… See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
                                    >
                                    > <image001.gif>

                                    <<< snip ... snip >>>
                                  • n5hyp
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                                      Go to our Irving amateur Radio Club site as we have some of the videos, (Not the Katrina one however) available there as well as other materials he have put together for Scouts who take the classes at the National Scouting Museum.

                                      http://irvingarc.org/rmb/

                                      Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
                                    • Jeff Montgomery
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                                        1c is about broadcast radio.

                                        K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                                        changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                                        that untrue today? When did it change?

                                        Thanks es 73
                                        de KB9BVN

                                        WBAP is in Dallas Texas. Turned on by Hebert Hoover when he was Commerce
                                        Secretary

                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBAP_%28AM%29

                                        WFAA also in Dallas

                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFAA

                                        and here is a history of the Ks and Ws and all the exceptions

                                        http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm#kwmap

                                        73
                                        Jeff
                                        WB4WXD