Materials for Doing Radio Merit Badge

  • Chad Kidder
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 18, 2013
      I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
      teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
      materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

      --

      --Chad Kidder
      KJ5C
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
        Chad,

        Start here: http://www.hamradioinstructor.com/meritbadge.html

        Good luck!

        On 1/18/2013 8:44 PM, Chad Kidder wrote:
        > I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
        > teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
        > materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

      • Michael Stephan

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
            Hi Chad,

            Excellent resources are available at: http://www.scouting.org/jota/radio_merit_badge.aspx

            This link available via k2bsa.net "Links" section.

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX

            On Jan 18, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

            > I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
            > teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
            > materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.
            >
            > --
            >
            > --Chad Kidder
            > KJ5C

          • Dan Romanchik KB6NU
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
              If some of the Scouts are planning to get their Tech licenses in addition to the merit badge, they can download for free my study guide at www.kb6nu.com/tech-manual. This is the study guide they use at the National Jamboree.

              73!

              Dan KB6NU
              CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
              Station Manager, WA2HOM at the Hands-On Museum (www.wa2hom.org)
              Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com

              On Jan 18, 2013, at Jan 18,8:44 PM, Chad Kidder wrote:
              I'm going to be helping with a local scout technology merit badge pow-pow
              teaching the radio merit badge. I was wondering if any of you know of some good
              materials out there to use so I don't reinvent the transmitter, so to say. Thanks.

              --

              --Chad Kidder
              KJ5C

            • Dave Greig
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
                +1 - This is what I use.

                Thank You!
                Dave Greig N3BUO

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Hello,

                    I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                    I would love any and all feedback!

                    Thanks,
                    Jack KC9RGW

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 26, 2013
                      Jack,

                      That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the "Binder"?

                      It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is it supplied as part of the class?

                      You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls is not correct (for today, at least).

                      Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham Radio in action.

                      Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a pre-printed workbook?

                      Thanks for sharing this. I like it.

                      73, Frank KR1ZAN
                      Garland, TX

                      On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >

                      > I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.
                      >
                      > I would love any and all feedback!
                      >
                      > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIufPxZmIP800/edit
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Jack KC9RGW
                      >
                      > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
                      <<< snip ... snip >>>
                    • Brian
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                        1c is about broadcast radio.

                        K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                        changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                        that untrue today? When did it change?

                        Thanks es 73
                        de KB9BVN

                      • williamkasper@frontiernet.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                          Always exceptions:
                          Started a long time ago and still on he air today KDKA, Pittsburg PA
                          but generally correct W East; K West.
                          Bill WB2SXY

                          K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                          changed recently.  Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                          that untrue today? When did it change?

                          Thanks es 73
                          de KB9BVN

                          On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                          > Jack,
                          >
                          > That's a great syllabus.  Do you have a file which has the contents of the "Binder"?
                          >
                          > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook.  Do they bring or purchase?  Or, is it supplied as part of the class?
                          >
                          > You asked for comments:  The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls is not correct (for today, at least).
                          >
                          > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the Thursday/Friday contact?  It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham Radio in action.
                          >
                          > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a pre-printed workbook?
                          >
                          > Thanks for sharing this.  I like it.
                          >
                          > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                          > Garland, TX
                          >

                          > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hello,
                          >>

                          >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the lesson plan for the 2011 season.
                          >>
                          >> I would love any and all feedback!
                          >>
                          >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIufPxZmIP800/edit
                          >>
                          >> Thanks,
                          >> Jack KC9RGW
                          >>
                          >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
                          > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Stephen M. Shearer
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                            There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
                            there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

                            73, Steve

                            K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                            changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                            that untrue today? When did it change?

                            Thanks es 73
                            de KB9BVN

                            On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                            > Jack,
                            >
                            > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
                            "Binder"?

                            > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
                            copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
                            it supplied as part of the class?

                            > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
                            is not correct (for today, at least).

                            > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
                            the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
                            Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
                            Radio in action.

                            > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
                            pre-printed workbook?

                            > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
                            >
                            > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                            > Garland, TX
                            >

                            > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard <johnhg7@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Hello,
                            >>

                            >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
                            camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
                            (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
                            lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                            >> I would love any and all feedback!
                            >>
                            >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
                            >> fPxZmIP800/edit
                            >>
                            >> Thanks,
                            >> Jack KC9RGW
                            >>
                            >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:
                            > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                            > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                          • Brian
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                              I did some Wikipedia digging and found this:

                              KDKA enjoys grandfathered status as one of six remaining stations east
                              of the Mississippi River that have call letters beginning with K. Three
                              of them are in Pittsburgh, the other two being KDKA-FM (KDKA's sister
                              station) and KQV, as well as KDKA's longtime sister station KYW in
                              Philadelphia (though the KYW callsign has in the past been used in
                              Chicago & Cleveland) KTGG Okemos, Michigan, and KFIZ in Fond du Lac,
                              Wisconsin.

                              KDKA got their license in 1920 and has claimed to be the very first
                              commercially licensed radio station in the world...however other
                              stations contend that claim is false.

                              According to what I have read on the FCC pages, currently, K's are
                              assigned west of the Mississippi and W's to the east.

                              73 de KB9BVN

                              On 1/27/2013 9:59 AM, williamkasper@... wrote:

                              > 1c is about broadcast radio.
                              >
                              > K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                              > changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                              > that untrue today? When did it change?
                              >
                              > Thanks es 73
                              > de KB9BVN
                            • Stephen M. Shearer
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                                Even better answer…  See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

                                K/W CALLS TODAY

                                There are a few exceptions. Both East and West. KDKA is in Pittsburg and
                                there is at least one "W" on the west... The exceptions are older stations.

                                73, Steve

                                K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                                changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                                that untrue today? When did it change?

                                Thanks es 73
                                de KB9BVN

                                On 1/26/2013 11:29 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
                                > Jack,
                                >
                                > That's a great syllabus. Do you have a file which has the contents of the
                                "Binder"?

                                > It appears that a requirement for all Scouts is that they have their own
                                copy of the Radio Merit Badge Handbook. Do they bring or purchase? Or, is
                                it supplied as part of the class?

                                > You asked for comments: The 1.c. explanation of K and W broadcast calls
                                is not correct (for today, at least).

                                > Have you considered operating the station after Dinner in order to allow
                                the students to get on the air or hear amateur radio in action prior to the
                                Thursday/Friday contact? It's a shame to have to wait all week to see Ham
                                Radio in action.

                                > Do you use blank sheets of paper for student work or do you use a
                                pre-printed workbook?

                                > Thanks for sharing this. I like it.
                                >
                                > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                                > Garland, TX
                                >

                                > On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Jack Girard johnhg7@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Hello,
                                >>

                                >> I just saw this conversation and figured I might as well throw my summer
                                camp lesson plan in the mix. I have taught Radio MB at Camp Freeland Leslie
                                (Three Fires Council) for the past three summers, and completely remade the
                                lesson plan for the 2011 season.

                                >> I would love any and all feedback!
                                >>
                                >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ppUZmzrGtEnxuyYesMPt1elHv0ZAQSBIu
                                >> fPxZmIP800/edit
                                >>
                                >> Thanks,
                                >> Jack KC9RGW
                                >>
                                >> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Chad Kidder cckidder@...> wrote:
                                > <<< snip ... snip >>>

                                > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                              • Chad Kidder

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                                    Hi Chad,

                                    It looks like it's available here: http://www.arrl.org/emcomm-video

                                    73, Frank KR1ZAN
                                    Garland, TX

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                                      Hi all,

                                      I must admit that my comment on the K & W broadcast calls has enlightened me and I sincerely appreciate all the References. I must admit that I now know a lot more on the subject and I thank all who contributed.

                                      A blanket statement on new call sign "assignments" may be true, but, when one hears a station, it may not follow the rule due to "grandfathering" or some other agreement. I suspect I spoke too soon on Jack's statement in his syllabus which states for 1.c " explain how the Mississippi river is the dividing line between K and W prefixes for broadcast" without knowing the full details of the explanation.

                                      I live in Texas where I've grown up with a mixture of K & W calls.

                                      Regardless, I like Jack's syllabus and I'd be curious to know if others out there have others they could share regarding Summer Camp Radio Merit Badge courses.

                                      73, Frank KR1ZAN
                                      Garland, TX

                                      On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Stephen M. Shearer" <wb3lgc@...> wrote:

                                      > Even better answer… See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
                                      >
                                      > <image001.gif>

                                      <<< snip ... snip >>>
                                    • n5hyp
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013
                                        Go to our Irving amateur Radio Club site as we have some of the videos, (Not the Katrina one however) available there as well as other materials he have put together for Scouts who take the classes at the National Scouting Museum.

                                        http://irvingarc.org/rmb/

                                        Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
                                      • Jeff Montgomery
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 27, 2013

                                          1c is about broadcast radio.

                                          K's are West and W's are East of the Mississippi River... unless that
                                          changed recently. Do you know of any broadcast radio stations that make
                                          that untrue today? When did it change?

                                          Thanks es 73
                                          de KB9BVN

                                          WBAP is in Dallas Texas. Turned on by Hebert Hoover when he was Commerce
                                          Secretary

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBAP_%28AM%29

                                          WFAA also in Dallas

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFAA

                                          and here is a history of the Ks and Ws and all the exceptions

                                          http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm#kwmap

                                          73
                                          Jeff
                                          WB4WXD