Promoting local Hamfests to Scouts

  • nt5sm_scott
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2013
      Since ARRL has signed the MOU with BSA, there has been more effort to have Scouting booths/ activities at local hamfests. My question is - what have the local hamfest sponsors been doing to successfully promote to the troops and packs on their local area?

      73,
      Scott McKee, nt5sm
      COR Troop/Pack 1199 SHAC STX
    • Norm Huber
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2013
        On 1/18/2013 16:24, nt5sm_scott wrote:
        > Since ARRL has signed the MOU with BSA, there has been more effort to
        > have Scouting booths/ activities at local hamfests. My question is -
        > what have the local hamfest sponsors been doing to successfully promote
        > to the troops and packs on their local area?

        I haven't seen any evidence locally. Guess that means I'll be taking on
        a new job. I'm going to contact the local hanfest and see what can be
        arranged.
        - Norm - N9ZKS - Central Illinois
        - Motorcyclist, Bicyclist, Ham, Scouter
        - '05 Goldwing - Yellow - Rex - 141,000 miles
        - '87 Goldwing Interstate - Lagniappe Too - 66,000 miles
        - LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER!
        - IBA 25533, MARC, WOTI, GWRRA, AMA, ARRL
        -
        http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=n9zks-5,n9zks-9,n9zks-10&radar=***
      • Doc S
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 19, 2013
          Our local ARES and RACES group co-sponsor a BSA Venturing Crew. At the annual hamfest the crew helps with the event by running the information table. This allows them to promote scouting and youth involvement. Other area hamfest have agreed to let the crew come in and put up a "Scouting & Amateur Radio" information table in exchange for some community service help at the hamfest. The community service usually is helping with setup and tear down.

          If a youth is interested in scouting but not exactly amateur radio then that is okay. We have information on all the local units (Cubs, Boys, Explorer, and Venturing to include Sea Scouts.) We will provide the contact information for them. One of the crew's committee members or youth officers will follow-up after a week to see if that interested family has made contact with that unit. We also forward the interested family's information over to the local unit they are interested in.

          Best regards,
          Rich "Doc" AC8AL, COML
          West Michigan Venturing Crew 9050, Committee Chair

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "nt5sm_scott" wrote:

          > Since ARRL has signed the MOU with BSA, there has been more effort to have Scouting booths/ activities at local hamfests. My question is - what have the local hamfest sponsors been doing to successfully promote to the troops and packs on their local area?
          >
          > 73,
          > Scott McKee, nt5sm
          > COR Troop/Pack 1199 SHAC STX

        • Scott J (Kd5mhm)
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 20, 2013
            Scott,
            A few years ago, long before the MOU, I bought tables at the local ham fest, primarily to promote JOTA support by the visiting hams.  I created a “slide show” of Scouts having a blast during our meetings and campouts from photos we had available.  I use a kitty scratching post to teach knot craft and set it up on a table with a “challenge” to tie a square knot, half-hitch, taut-line hitch, etc.  I had handouts I made on how to contact and offer support for JOTA as a ham.  I had an email sign-up sheet for getting emails with reminders and tips for the upcoming JOTA.

            I had a few Scouts in uniform assist with talking with people that stopped by.  We were not selling anything, we were just there for people to recall memories and promote JOTA.

            The results were fantastic.  Many hams were also Scouts and tried to remember their knots, swapped stories on their best and worst campouts with the boys, best and worst summer camps, favorite merit badges, and more.  Their response to support JOTA was great, many signed up on the email list, some donated to the Scouts for their troop and we got wonderful compliments on the “slide show”.  At the end of the ham fest, some vendors asked for help packing up and carrying out their stuff so the boys also earned additional funds at the ham fest.  Their kindness to the Scouts was quite unexpected by not atypical.

            The local club, Midland Amateur Radio Club here in Midland, Texas had no complaints with having a Scout booth at the ham fest.

            Scott
            kd5mhm

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 20, 2013
              Thanks for all the excellent thoughts on hamfest and Scouts.  I shared your ideas with the rest our planning committee and look forward to a great event. Perhaps we can coordinate a few QSO's with some of the members here on ScoutRadio. Our event is the Greater Houston Hamfest on 23 March 2013 - http://houstonhamfest.org/ .

              73,
              Scott, nt5sm