Re: [ScoutRadio] BSA Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip

  • Walter Underwood
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 18, 2013
      Honor system, I'm sure. This is Scouting.

      And a big thanks to the Radio Scouting Committee for getting this done.

      wunder
      K6WRU

      On Jan 18, 2013, at 12:41 PM, barry whittemore wrote:

      I know that when i got the Morse interpreter strip the just sold me one with no proof, I asked how to get signed up as a sign off and they had no idea.
      i can imagine this one will be any different
      Barry
      NF1O (KB1NH)

      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      From: gunpowder2012@...
      Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 15:36:48 -0500
      Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] BSA Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip

      Is there a form  being produced that is required or a copy of your license must be submitted to order? Our scout store didn't know and I told them I would find out.

      Mike-KB9MDQ

      On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Raymond Knapp <rlknappjr@...> wrote:

      Hi All

      I just heard back from National Supply Group at scoutstuff.org and they are saying that the new Amateur Radio Strip will be available by the end of next week.  That would be 1/25/2013.  Just thought I would pass it on.

      Ray

        --
        Walter Underwood

      • Walter Underwood
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
          Good question. The patch is only available in khaki, but the announcement says:

          "All registered youth members and adult leaders who also hold a valid amateur radio license, of any class, issued by the Federal Communications Commission are eligible to wear the rating strip. "

          http://www.k2bsa.net/operator-rating/

          wunder
          K6WRU
          Venture ASM
          Troop 14, Palo Alto

          --
          Walter Underwood
          Venture ASM
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
            This is what I saw from Jamboree on the Air

            New Patch!

            The BSA has just introduced the Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip for wear on youth and adult uniforms. All registered youth members and adult leaders who also hold a valid amateur radio license, of any class, are eligible to wear the rating strip.

            I would say if a cub has his license he should be able to wear it.

            Raymond L Knapp, Jr.
            Unit Commissioner for RRV in Mid-Iowa Council
            515-249-1899
            WA2GTM

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
              Hi Chad, et al,

              The BSA Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip may be worn by any licensed amateur radio operator who is a registered Scout or Scout Leader (Cubs, Webelos, Boy Scouts, Venturers, Varsity) on the Right Sleeve per the instructions.

              I confirmed this with Jim Wilson, K5ND, of BSA HQ, who Chairs the BSA National Radio Scouting Committee and is the JOTA National Organizer for the US.

              Thanks to everyone who contributes to the enjoyment and promotion of Radio Scouting.

              Yours in Scouting es 73, Frank KR1ZAN
              Member, BSA National Radio Scouting Committee

              On Jan 19, 2013, at 12:28 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

              > I'll second that. One question, can cub scouts wear the amateur radio operator strip?
              > --Chad Kidder
              > On 01/18/2013 02:09 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
              >>
              >> Honor system, I'm sure. This is Scouting.
              >>

              >> And a big thanks to the Radio Scouting Committee for getting this done.
              >>
              >> wunder
              >> K6WRU

              <<< snip ... snip >>>
            • Chad Kidder
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
                Thanks for clearing that up!
                	--Chad Kidder
                On 01/19/2013 01:05 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
[...]

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • bill_ragsdale
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
                  Scouters,

                  Regarding promotion: Local hamfest managers know little about building ham radio linkage to Scouting. That is our job. They can just provide the facilities. You should be able to arrange free exhibit space and seminar space as it helps build their attendance. If you ask them, "What can you do for Scouting?", they will answer, "What do you need?" And then the ball is back into your court.

                  Expect that 80% of your exhibit or workshop interest will be from Scouts and Scouters who are already hams! It is a fact of life only 2% of the population is even aware of ham radio. The youth will ask, "Does this have something to do with cell phones?" Have an interest stimulating answer with some action item for the Scout.

                  At my last Dayton Hamvention presentation I asked, "How many here are in or experienced in the Scouting program?" Too many to count, maybe a hundred, so I asked, "How many are new to Scouting?" Four hands went up.

                  Have dual information. One track for newcomers and one for current hams.

                  ARRL has free ham radio brochures and web pages. Plus generate your own with local unit contacts for both ham and Scouting events.

                  The new STEM emphasis in Scouting is a natural for ham radio promotion. Arrange Scout operated stations at Camp-O-Rees, Scout-O-Rama and similar public events, both civic and Scouting based. Some councils have huge technology based events with balloon launches, fox hunts, demo stations, etc.

                  Demo stations should use repeaters with pre-arranged contacts at the other end. EchoLink and IRLP demo well. These networks can be accessed by RF with no preregistration. You do need to learn their individual prefixes for node numbers and sign-off. It is too frustrating to demo using HF and have no contact.

                  YIS and 73,

                  Bill Ragsdale K6KN
                  Trustee W6BSA
                • web8ck
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 20, 2013
                    All,
                    I know this is a little off topic but I am in need of an audiobook version of the BSA handbook. Does anyone know where I can find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

                    Thanks
                    Matthew, KC8BEW
                  • Dave Greig
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 21, 2013
                      Try this link out it has the BSA Stocking number for the audio book.
                      http://www.wwswd.org/scouting-resources.htm

                      Thank You!
                      Dave Greig N3BUO