RE: [ScoutRadio] BSA Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip

  • Hank Voegtle
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 17, 2013
      I like that they've created it. But it looks like an interpreter strip (the dimensions weren't given but the proportiond seem similar), so why the right sleeve instead of over the right pocket?

      Hank Voegtle
      AE5BF

      Sent from my Galaxy S®III

        --
        Walter Underwood

      • Andrew Mills
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 17, 2013
          The badge we wear here is Australia is worn on the right hand sleeve as well.

          Sent from my iPhone 4
        • Kymm Balinth-Regan
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 17, 2013
            Unfortunately they are not available yet and we may have to wait a bit

            > I like that they've created it. But it looks like an interpreter strip (the dimensions weren't given but the proportiond seem similar), so why the right sleeve instead of over the right pocket?
            >
            > Hank Voegtle
            > AE5BF
            >
            > Sent from my Galaxy S®III

          • Raymond Knapp Jr
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 17, 2013
              My local scout shop has ordered them.  The code is valid.  Can not wait to get it on my uniform. Talked to them in Texas and they are to let me know when they will be available.

              Ray Knapp
              WA2GTM

              Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:05 PM

              Unfortunately they are not available yet and we may have to wait a bit

              > I like that they've created it. But it looks like an interpreter strip (the dimensions weren't given but the proportiond seem similar), so why the right sleeve instead of over the right pocket?
              >
              > Hank Voegtle
              > AE5BF
              >
              > Sent from my Galaxy S®III

            • Michael Stephan
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 17, 2013
                I would think they might be able to preorder them. Not sure the local scout shop will order until there is a request and would probably order the minimum (amt needed or minimal package count). I think I will call scout store tomorrow and see if they will preorder two ;D

                Mike Stephan-KB9MDQ
                Scout Master

                On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Jim <jbwilson@...> wrote:

                The BSA has just announced the Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip for wear on youth and adult member uniforms. All registered youth members and adult leaders who also hold a valid amateur radio license are eligible to wear the rating strip.

                You can read more and see the rating strip at http://www.k2bsa.net/operator-rating/

                They should be in stock at the Supply warehouse in about two weeks. It will take longer for them to reach the stores.

                73, Jim, K5ND

              • Norm Huber
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 17, 2013
                  On 1/17/2013 15:59, Walter Underwood wrote:
                  > I think the sleeve is a good place. The area above the pocket is getting
                  > pretty crowded. --wunder
                  >

                  > On Jan 17, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Hank Voegtle wrote:
                  >

                  >> I like that they've created it. But it looks like an interpreter strip
                  >> (the dimensions weren't given but the proportiond seem similar), so
                  >> why the right sleeve instead of over the right pocket?

                  We already have an interpreter strip for those that know/use the
                  language of amateur radio, code. Brought out last year just before Dayton.
                  ----- Norman Huber - N9ZKS - Central Illinois
                  ----- Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner / Assistant Scoutmaster
                  ----- 19266 US Highway 150
                  ----- Bloomington, IL 61705-5855
                  ----- Phone 309-378-4674
                  ----- Cell 309-287-1102
                • Raymond Knapp
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 18, 2013

                    Hi All

                    I just heard back from National Supply Group at scoutstuff.org and they are saying that the new Amateur Radio Strip will be available by the end of next week.  That would be 1/25/2013.  Just thought I would pass it on.

                    Ray

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 18, 2013
                      Is there a form  being produced that is required or a copy of your license must be submitted to order? Our scout store didn't know and I told them I would find out.

                      Mike-KB9MDQ

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 18, 2013
                        I know that when i got the Morse interpreter strip the just sold me one with no proof, I asked how to get signed up as a sign off and they had no idea.
                        i can imagine this one will be any different
                        Barry
                        NF1O (KB1NH)

                        To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
                              Good question. The patch is only available in khaki, but the announcement says:

                              "All registered youth members and adult leaders who also hold a valid amateur radio license, of any class, issued by the Federal Communications Commission are eligible to wear the rating strip. "

                              http://www.k2bsa.net/operator-rating/

                              wunder
                              K6WRU
                              Venture ASM
                              Troop 14, Palo Alto

                              --
                              Walter Underwood
                              Venture ASM
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
                                This is what I saw from Jamboree on the Air

                                New Patch!

                                The BSA has just introduced the Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip for wear on youth and adult uniforms. All registered youth members and adult leaders who also hold a valid amateur radio license, of any class, are eligible to wear the rating strip.

                                I would say if a cub has his license he should be able to wear it.

                                Raymond L Knapp, Jr.
                                Unit Commissioner for RRV in Mid-Iowa Council
                                515-249-1899
                                WA2GTM

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
                                  Hi Chad, et al,

                                  The BSA Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip may be worn by any licensed amateur radio operator who is a registered Scout or Scout Leader (Cubs, Webelos, Boy Scouts, Venturers, Varsity) on the Right Sleeve per the instructions.

                                  I confirmed this with Jim Wilson, K5ND, of BSA HQ, who Chairs the BSA National Radio Scouting Committee and is the JOTA National Organizer for the US.

                                  Thanks to everyone who contributes to the enjoyment and promotion of Radio Scouting.

                                  Yours in Scouting es 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                                  Member, BSA National Radio Scouting Committee

                                  On Jan 19, 2013, at 12:28 PM, Chad Kidder <cckidder@...> wrote:

                                  > I'll second that. One question, can cub scouts wear the amateur radio operator strip?
                                  > --Chad Kidder
                                  > On 01/18/2013 02:09 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> Honor system, I'm sure. This is Scouting.
                                  >>

                                  >> And a big thanks to the Radio Scouting Committee for getting this done.
                                  >>
                                  >> wunder
                                  >> K6WRU

                                  <<< snip ... snip >>>
                                • Chad Kidder
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
                                    Thanks for clearing that up!
                                    	--Chad Kidder
                                    On 01/19/2013 01:05 PM, Frank Krizan wrote:
[...]

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                        ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                        ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • bill_ragsdale
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 19, 2013
                                      Scouters,

                                      Regarding promotion: Local hamfest managers know little about building ham radio linkage to Scouting. That is our job. They can just provide the facilities. You should be able to arrange free exhibit space and seminar space as it helps build their attendance. If you ask them, "What can you do for Scouting?", they will answer, "What do you need?" And then the ball is back into your court.

                                      Expect that 80% of your exhibit or workshop interest will be from Scouts and Scouters who are already hams! It is a fact of life only 2% of the population is even aware of ham radio. The youth will ask, "Does this have something to do with cell phones?" Have an interest stimulating answer with some action item for the Scout.

                                      At my last Dayton Hamvention presentation I asked, "How many here are in or experienced in the Scouting program?" Too many to count, maybe a hundred, so I asked, "How many are new to Scouting?" Four hands went up.

                                      Have dual information. One track for newcomers and one for current hams.

                                      ARRL has free ham radio brochures and web pages. Plus generate your own with local unit contacts for both ham and Scouting events.

                                      The new STEM emphasis in Scouting is a natural for ham radio promotion. Arrange Scout operated stations at Camp-O-Rees, Scout-O-Rama and similar public events, both civic and Scouting based. Some councils have huge technology based events with balloon launches, fox hunts, demo stations, etc.

                                      Demo stations should use repeaters with pre-arranged contacts at the other end. EchoLink and IRLP demo well. These networks can be accessed by RF with no preregistration. You do need to learn their individual prefixes for node numbers and sign-off. It is too frustrating to demo using HF and have no contact.

                                      YIS and 73,

                                      Bill Ragsdale K6KN
                                      Trustee W6BSA
                                    • web8ck
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 20, 2013
                                        All,
                                        I know this is a little off topic but I am in need of an audiobook version of the BSA handbook. Does anyone know where I can find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

                                        Thanks
                                        Matthew, KC8BEW
                                      • Dave Greig
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 21, 2013
                                          Try this link out it has the BSA Stocking number for the audio book.
                                          http://www.wwswd.org/scouting-resources.htm

                                          Thank You!
                                          Dave Greig N3BUO