Re: [ScoutRadio] Boy Scout MOU

  • Bill Kasper
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 16, 2012
      Be aware that (I believe) RACES requires an Amateur
      Radio License; ARES does not. There might be age
      restrictions too, plus other county/state credentialing
      regs.

      73 de Bill WB2SXY

      On 11/16/2012 12:45 PM, Lou Schmidt wrote:
      > Walter
      >
      > Well stated.
      >
      > WB8HBK
      > Louis Schmidt
      > Canyons District Commitee member
      > Orange County ARC
      >
      > Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T

      -----
      No virus found in this message.
    • Lamers, William M III (Will)
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 16, 2012

        ARES is an organization coordinated by the ARRL, and membership requires an Amateur Radio license (http://www.arrl.org/ares).  No age restrictions that I know of.

        RACES is coordinated by local emergency offices; where I live it is an offshoot of the Sheriff’s office.  As far as I can tell, the local organization sets the requirements for membership.

        73 de Will K6WML

      • ad5td
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
          Here in Texas the RACES org is run by the Department of Public Safety (State Troopers) and a questionnaire about your criminal past and an FBI background check is MANDATORY and a AR license of General class or above is also required.

          William Albert
          AD5TD
          RRO 3A
          ASM Troop 188
          Woodsboro, TX

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Lamers, William M III (Will)" <willlamers@...> wrote:

          > ARES is an organization coordinated by the ARRL, and membership requires an Amateur Radio license (http://www.arrl.org/ares). No age restrictions that I know of.
          >
          > RACES is coordinated by local emergency offices; where I live it is an offshoot of the Sheriff’s office. As far as I can tell, the local organization sets the requirements for membership.
          >
          > 73 de Will K6WML
          >
          > This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, proprietary
          > and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
          > If you have received this email in error please delete it immediately.

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
            In Indiana RACES is run by the Indiana Department of Homeland Security.

            RACES authority is in 47 CFR Part 97 subpart E, and is sponsored by FEMA
            and administered by the local EMA.

            All RACES members register and be accepted before they may participate.

            I will check into the age limits for RACES membership here, if there are
            any.

            On 11/17/2012 9:28 AM, ad5td wrote:
            > Here in Texas the RACES org is run by the Department of Public Safety (State Troopers) and a questionnaire about your criminal past and an FBI background check is MANDATORY and a AR license of General class or above is also required.
            >
            > William Albert
            > AD5TD
            > RRO 3A
            > ASM Troop 188
            > Woodsboro, TX
            >
            > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Lamers, William M III (Will)" <willlamers@...> wrote:
            >> ARES is an organization coordinated by the ARRL, and membership requires an Amateur Radio license (http://www.arrl.org/ares). No age restrictions that I know of.
            >>
            >> RACES is coordinated by local emergency offices; where I live it is an offshoot of the Sheriff’s office. As far as I can tell, the local organization sets the requirements for membership.
            >>
            >> 73 de Will K6WML
            >>
            >> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, proprietary
            >> and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
            >> If you have received this email in error please delete it immediately.

            > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          • Neil Lauritsen
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
              While I do not personally care what you call your EM sponsored group and
              regardless of State sponsorship, FEMA NO LONGER sponsors RACES and has
              dropped their rules and you will find it difficult if not impossible to find
              any reference to RACES on their website.

              Neil
              W4NHL

              > In Indiana RACES is run by the Indiana Department of Homeland Security.
              >
              > RACES authority is in 47 CFR Part 97 subpart E, and is sponsored by FEMA
              > and administered by the local EMA.
              >
              > All RACES members register and be accepted before they may participate.
              >
              > I will check into the age limits for RACES membership here, if there are
              > any.
              >

              > On 11/17/2012 9:28 AM, ad5td wrote:
              >> Here in Texas the RACES org is run by the Department of Public Safety
              >> (State Troopers) and a questionnaire about your criminal past and an FBI
              >> background check is MANDATORY and a AR license of General class or above
              >> is also required.
              >>
              >> William Albert
              >> AD5TD
              >> RRO 3A
              >> ASM Troop 188
              >> Woodsboro, TX
              >>
              >> --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Lamers, William M III (Will)"
              >> <willlamers@...> wrote:
              >>> ARES is an organization coordinated by the ARRL, and membership requires
              >>> an Amateur Radio license (http://www.arrl.org/ares). No age
              >>> restrictions that I know of.
              >>>
              >>> RACES is coordinated by local emergency offices; where I live it is an
              >>> offshoot of the Sheriffâ?Ts office. As far as I can tell, the local
              >>> organization sets the requirements for membership.
              >>>
              >>> 73 de Will K6WML
              >>>
              >>> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential,
              >>> proprietary
              >>> and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are
              >>> addressed.
              >>> If you have received this email in error please delete it immediately.

              >> Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
              >> http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
              >>
              >> Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
              >> http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml
              >>
              >> SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGESYahoo! Groups Links

              > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

            • Doc S
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
                Here in West Michigan we have the West Michigan Venturing Crew 9050. The crew specialty is amateur radio with an emphasis on disaster services and emergency preparedness. The crew is co-sponsored by the local ARES/RACES group and their very own amateur radio club. The crew has provided assistance to ARES, RACES (for those that meet the qualifications), Red Cross, and several other organizations in the area. It has been a very good run and has helped bring youth into amateur radio and vice versa.

                Best regards,
                Rich "Doc" Strait, AC8AL, COML

                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

                > Thinking more about this, I'd recommend starting a Venture Crew specializing in CERT, and have them all do CERT local training. They can pull in and manage younger Scouts as needed.
                >
                > http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/start-0-1.shtm
                >
                > wunder
                > K6WRU
                >
                > On Nov 16, 2012, at 5:14 AM, Jim wrote:
                >
                > > The listing of letters of support and endorsement from national organizations to the Boy Scouts of America can be found at this link http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/membership/charter_partners/community.aspx
                > >
                > > This is probably a good starting point to open discussions at the local level.
                > >
                > > Hope this helps.
                > >
                > > 73, Jim, K5ND
                > >
                > > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Terry Aldridge <tsaldridge@> wrote:

                > > > Fellow Scouters and Amateur Radio Friends:
                > > >
                > > > I am searching for Memos of Understanding (MOUs) between Boy Scout Units/Councils/Districts and Townships/Cities/Towns/States/Counties. We have an opportunity here in Palatine, Illinois to develop a relationship with the Emergency Management Agency and it would be great if I could locate a MOU that is already being utilized and/or in development. Thanks for your help.
                > > >
                > > > Charles Terry Aldridge, KM9N
                > > >

                > --
                > Walter Underwood
                > wunder@...

              • wb2boo
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
                  I think he's just looking for a non-radio MOU for Scouts to assist an Disaster Service organization.

                  As a practical matter, it might be worthwhile for BSA National HQ to consider geeting involved with NVOAD (National Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster Relief) to help establish guidleines as to what Scouts could and shouldn't do to help in disasters. ARRL and all of the other Disaster Relief organizations are members of this umbrella organization. The NJ chapter of it is doing a great job of coordinating the resources of the fifty or so volunteer organizations now active here.

                  Just to clarify things on what is a confusing point, please remember that the Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) is an organization open to all Amateur Radio Operators, sponsored by the ARRL. By contrast, RACES is not an organization in itself; the organization that a ham belongs to under the standby RACES rules is actually the government's Emergency Management agency for the area.

                  "The Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES) is a standby radio service provided for in Part 97.407 of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and regulations governing amateur radio in the United States."

                  The wikipedia article on RACES explains it well.

                  So one isn't really a member of RACES, anymore than a taxicab driver is a member of LMRS (Land Mobile Radio Service). One is a member of the government agency sponsoring the use of this subset of these FCC rules, which are an extension of the War Emergency Radio Service of WWII.

                  One of the reasons things went so well for disaster communications in SNJ Section recently is that ARES and RACES are one and the same with the ARRL ARES County EC also normally being the County OEM's Radio Officer and all operators dual-enrolled.

                  NJ Law requires that a County's Emergency Plan include a Communications Annex incorporating Amateur Radio. Each County EOC has permanent 2 meter, 75 Meter, APRS and 220 MHz radios that are tested in a statewide net with the NJSP EOC on a monthly basis. The NJSP sponsored 220 Repeater covers the entire state and provides a primary clear channel for this work.

                  73

                  Gary Wilson, K2GW
                  ASM, SNJ Section, ARRL
                  (and former ARRL SEC and NJSP OEM Asst Radio Officer)
                • n5dgh
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
                    Yes and No; Texas Law designates each primary elected County Judge as the Emergency Management authority for that political jurisdiction. RACES is their authorized tool for emergency communications utilizing licensed Amateur Radio operators, assuming a declaration would ever be made limiting ARES operations. The Judge may appoint others to assist them in carrying out their EM responsibilities like the Sheriff and Emergency Management Coordinators. Texas has a State RACES Officer [SRO] who is supported by District Radio Officers [DRO] whose districts follow the Texas DPS district maps. The DRO is supported by the RACES Radio Officers [RRO], often from the individual Counties within their Districts.

                    The Texas Emergency Management structure stresses that the authority remains as local as possible, but there are Mutual Aid Agreements between the counties and agencies. DPS, serving as the Govenor's agent, usually only assumes an active role once specifically requested, when the burden or capabilities of both the local and county jurisdictions will be exhausted or exceeded, possibly including the exahustion or exceeding of Mutual Aid available from neighboring jurisdictions, and may involve multiple jurisdictions, with some as served and others as serving.

                    Texas DPS has a similar Emergency Management Coordinator lineup as RACES called Regional Liaison Officers for each of those Districts for which the map addresses. More recently, they even have added sub-district LOs [5A, 5B, 5C]. A few years back, Homeland Security mandated another layer [aint it great] of preparedness referred to as Regional Councils of Government [COGs], serving a multi-county area, similar to Texas DPS Districts. We already had our regional COG, but until that date, it was optional but not mandatory.

                    So what all of this boils down to is that unless it gets really bad, RACES will never be called into service. RACES is not permitted to `self-deploy' like ARES is allowed so around here we always say that it will be ARES until the few hours or days when RACES and then back to ARES following the expiration of the declaration. As a `rule-of-thumb', we typically have about half as many members who are both ARES and RACES as those who are ARES but not also RACES, for whatever reasons. The perception that DPS runs RACES in Texas may come from the tight coordination between DPS RLOs and RACES DROs, since most likely requests for Amateur Radio resources within their respective districts would involve multi jurisdiction events where the DPS would have already been requested to engage with identified resources in support of the effort.

                    This may work a might different with Scouts than with rank and file Hams but credentialing and autonomous groups seems to be the order in future volunteering for all Emergency Management operations. Specifically, a certain minimal training and certification is necessary to prevent communications and re-imbursement problems from derailing the opportunity to serve, like ICS 700/100 and 200 courses, along with the group having the ability to sustain itself for at least 72 hours without additional or outside support requirements. This self-sufficiency may include transportation, fuel, sanitation, hydration, power, shelter, food, shift relief, communications, secutity, and all of the tools and supplies necessary for them to complete a mission for which they would be assigned, standalone, without burdening the already challenged response resources.

                    Communications is one of the easiest to coordinate while remaining outside of the primary affected areas. I offer as an example the Texas Gulf Coast region. The simple majority of communications support from the affected areas back to Austin, where their local VHF/UHF resources, if still functioning, fall short of reaching Austin and their HF resources overshoot Austin, can be easily handled by the many Hams available at a useful distance to facilitate the HF traffic. Remember that those organized, credentialed, and autonomous groups will always get favor over lesser credentialed groups or individuals. This is perhaps a wide open opportunity for Scout Crews who remain organized, prepared, trained, and credentialed to autonomously take on a mission and fulfill the responsibility through to completion.

                    Since the original question was regarding Scouts and MOUs, hopefully this insight will help plan for how to be seen as a part of the solution more than another problem, and how there is some hierarchy involved that ties many of the elements together [ARES, DPS, RACES, BSA, CERT, FEMA, etc.] so that we may be depended upon for a suitable role and remain engaged in worthwhile preparedness. It may be more realistic to attach [MOU] to an existing serving agency to benefit in their training opportunities and attain the privileges to deploy in a support role with that served agency. They all have other MOUs in place from which to reference.

                    YIS
                    Leland, N5DGH, TX 5A
                    WGD, WTX ASM Radio-Scouting

                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ad5td" <cmoprcc@...> wrote:

                    > Here in Texas the RACES org is run by the Department of Public Safety (State Troopers) and a questionnaire about your criminal past and an FBI background check is MANDATORY and a AR license of General class or above is also required.
                    >
                    > William Albert
                    > AD5TD
                    > RRO 3A
                    > ASM Troop 188
                    > Woodsboro, TX
                    >
                    > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Lamers, William M III (Will)" <willlamers@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > ARES is an organization coordinated by the ARRL, and membership requires an Amateur Radio license (http://www.arrl.org/ares). No age restrictions that I know of.
                    > >
                    > > RACES is coordinated by local emergency offices; where I live it is an offshoot of the Sheriff’s office. As far as I can tell, the local organization sets the requirements for membership.
                    > >
                    > > 73 de Will K6WML
                    > >
                    > > This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, proprietary
                    > > and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
                    > > If you have received this email in error please delete it immediately.

                  • Walter Underwood
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 20, 2012
                      To get back to the original question about connecting Scouts with local emergency management, here are two resources that might help.

                      First, a new online course from FEMA, IS-288 "The Role of Voluntary Agencies in Emergency Management": https://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/IS288.asp I think I'll be taking that.

                      Second, there was a short item in Boy's Life this month (Dec 2012, page 15) about a Scout who worked out the partnership between his troop and the emergency management organization in his part of Seattle: http://blog.seattlepi.com/inqueenanne/2010/10/02/qa-scouts-blaze-trail-with-emergency-preparedness-partnership/ The last line of the article is "Anyone interested in connecting a Boy Scout troop with their neighborhood EPC can contact me at QAVFD.BLOG@...." I expect they really mean "anyone in Seattle", but I'm sure they have experience to pass on. I'm guessing that "QAVFD" is Queen Anne Volunteer Fire Department, but who knows?

                      wunder
                      K6WRU
                      ASM, Troop 14, Palo Alto