2012 JOTA - Camp Soule Pinellas Co. FL

  • Neil Lauritsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2012

      2012 JOTA

      Members of Pinellas CO. FL ACS/ARES. The CARS and SPARC Clubs participated in the Boy Scouts of America annual Jamboree on the Air (JOTA) at Camp Soule in Clearwater. While other hams instructed scouts on the fundamentals of radio with the goal of attaining their communications merit badge, the SPARC crew set up one HF and two VHF stations for use by the scouts, as one of the merit badge requirements it to hold a two-way conversation over the radio. With scouts worldwide participating in JOTA, the sound of CQ Jamboree, CQ JOTA could be heard on all bands. Using the call sign N4BSA, our group held a marathon QSO with a group of scouts in Greenville, SC, exchanging names, scout rank, and other pleasantries with each other. The scouts were also fortunate enough to hear the International Space Station (ISS) in conversation with another scout group.

       The second Station Setup demonstrated WL2K using RMS Express and a KPC3 + TNC, D-STAR, APRS, and HF Comms monitoring a Region 4 Navy-Marine Corps MARS Exercise. We also had scouts connecting to other scouts on Echolink. The scouts were also fortunate enough to hear the International Space Station (ISS) in conversation with another scout group.

      We had 24 Scouts take the Radio Merit Badge with 22 of those Scouts Completing the Badge, during the class, we were able to connect into via EchoLink and listen to ISS Contact/Q&A with NASA Astronaut Sunita Williams answer questions a group of scouts in BSA HQ in Texas. Afterwards all of the scouts in the class were able to make contacts with other scouts via echo link and HF.

      After Dinner, camp activities continued as the scouts were sent on a scavenger hunt type activity where Alex, WB4BSA and Chris N4BSA took the SPY VS Scout theme of the camporee further by demonstrating rudimentary Fox Hunting Skills with the K4JMH 146.970 Repeater system and a Arrow Antenna. I want to give thanks to Pinellas County ACS/ARES, and SPARC who provided stations and volunteers for the Days Activities and helped teaching the Radio Merit Badge Class. See uploaded pictures.

      Volunteers For the Weekend:

      *Chris N4BSA
      *Alex WB4BSA
      Larry, KO4QS