Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 173

  • Jon Pearl W4ABC
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hi Alan et al...

      What happened to that Scouter seems to be a real rarity, but have we just
      been real lucky? Down here on the west coast of Florida, we get beat up
      with multiple high current strikes every afternoon during the summer cycle.

      I guess I've always taken lightning notification at summer camp for granted.
      I mean - if you live in Florida and you're not paying attention, you can get
      dead real quick! Everyone grows up with it as a priority from Cubbies on
      up.

      You spoke of lightning detection systems... what's available and what kind
      of ranges are involved? With the middle of my state being such a breeder of
      storms on a daily basis, I wonder if a detection system that's capable of
      listening many miles away (over the horizon maybe) wouldn't be going into
      alarm constantly, thus being ignored totally after a few false starts?

      If a system can be placed into service in such an area as ours, it might
      well be a great service project for our Scout Sertoma Club to consider
      funding in the future.

      Jon Pearl W4ABC
      St. Petersburg Florida