Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 173

  • Alan Stumpf
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      Sorry I got the size of the camp wrong it has a 270 acre lake not 170 so it
      is big.

      Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC
      KB3DHC@...
      http://pages.prodigy.net/aws69/
      Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 377
      Greater Pittsburgh Council
      Enda Lechauhanne 57 | >>===>===> |
      Poam Aptonen
      3rd Assistant Scoutmaster 2001 Jamboree Troop 525
      Hometown News Correspondent Coordinator
      North Hills Amateur Radio Club
      JOTA Committee Chair
    • Jon Pearl W4ABC
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
        Hi Alan et al...

        What happened to that Scouter seems to be a real rarity, but have we just
        been real lucky? Down here on the west coast of Florida, we get beat up
        with multiple high current strikes every afternoon during the summer cycle.

        I guess I've always taken lightning notification at summer camp for granted.
        I mean - if you live in Florida and you're not paying attention, you can get
        dead real quick! Everyone grows up with it as a priority from Cubbies on
        up.

        You spoke of lightning detection systems... what's available and what kind
        of ranges are involved? With the middle of my state being such a breeder of
        storms on a daily basis, I wonder if a detection system that's capable of
        listening many miles away (over the horizon maybe) wouldn't be going into
        alarm constantly, thus being ignored totally after a few false starts?

        If a system can be placed into service in such an area as ours, it might
        well be a great service project for our Scout Sertoma Club to consider
        funding in the future.

        Jon Pearl W4ABC
        St. Petersburg Florida