Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 173

  • Alan Stumpf
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      As having been to Twin Echo where the Scouter died(JLT Training) and having
      an equally large Heritage Reservation (3 summer camps around a 170 acre
      lake) I believe all scouts camps should have some kind of lighting detection
      system and a NOAA Weather radio. With systems being cheap detectors costing
      between ($2,000 - $1,000) and radios between ($100 - $60) there should be no
      reason these can't be used.

      Am I crazy and do other councils uses these systems in camps?

      I will be up at camp this week and using 2m for a "ask the meteorologist"
      segment of weather MB via WX3PIT and using UO-14 (morning passes) as a demo
      for Space Exploration MB. Sorry no HF (Technician License).

      Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC
      KB3DHC@...
      http://pages.prodigy.net/aws69/
      Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 377
      Greater Pittsburgh Council
      Enda Lechauhanne 57 | >>===>===> |
      Poam Aptonen
      3rd Assistant Scoutmaster 2001 Jamboree Troop 525
      Hometown News Correspondent Coordinator
      North Hills Amateur Radio Club
      JOTA Committee Chair

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
          Hi Alan et al...

          What happened to that Scouter seems to be a real rarity, but have we just
          been real lucky? Down here on the west coast of Florida, we get beat up
          with multiple high current strikes every afternoon during the summer cycle.

          I guess I've always taken lightning notification at summer camp for granted.
          I mean - if you live in Florida and you're not paying attention, you can get
          dead real quick! Everyone grows up with it as a priority from Cubbies on
          up.

          You spoke of lightning detection systems... what's available and what kind
          of ranges are involved? With the middle of my state being such a breeder of
          storms on a daily basis, I wonder if a detection system that's capable of
          listening many miles away (over the horizon maybe) wouldn't be going into
          alarm constantly, thus being ignored totally after a few false starts?

          If a system can be placed into service in such an area as ours, it might
          well be a great service project for our Scout Sertoma Club to consider
          funding in the future.

          Jon Pearl W4ABC
          St. Petersburg Florida