On Target <=> GOlden Packet (East)

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26 12:23 PM
      Scouting Operation On-Target (East).

      We saw no Scouting On-Target operations anywhere along the entire eastern
      mountains. Although we were manning 15 of the highest peaks in the
      Appalachians, apparently there was no Scouting participation.

      But the Appalachian APRS Golden Packet portion of the test was the most
      successful yet. With a string of 13 Mountains from Alabama/Georgia up to
      Masachussetts all in communication via APRS messaging and voice. There was
      a Gap in NH, but the string was good another 3 hops to Mount Katahdin at the
      end of the 2000 mile Appalachian trail.

      We all had mirrors but we found zero OT activity and besides, it was
      overcast all day in most locations. Also, our average hop length was 80 to
      120 miles and that is too far in Eastern haze to see the mirrors from
      mountain to mountain. But we hoped that other scout groups would take
      advantage of our being up there, to signal us from surrounding areas even
      down on the flatlands...

      See summary: http://aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

      We WILL do the Appalachain Golden Packet attempt in 2013 too (our 5th
      attempt) and hope that eastern Scouting will join us with their flashing
      mirrors, and even when it is overcast, you still have HAM radio to make the
      same contacts.

      Bob, WB4APR