Re: [scoutradio] Re: Involvement with Scouts

  • don@azark.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2001
      On 25 Jun 2001, at 11:39, Larry Acklin wrote:

      > My suggestions:
      >
      > Start your own movement.

      Thanks Larry for the suggestions (clipped from this response for
      brevity) ... there were a few I had not thought of.

      Before going charging off on my own, I've been trying to determine if
      anyone else is already doing the same thing. I'd rather join with
      them and support them if some activity already exists, rather than
      be seen as an outsider trying to take over.

      This last statement has some basis...many of the "natives" here
      resent very much some "outsider" coming in and trying to change
      things. I've seen that in two ham clubs especially. One club I've
      given up on; the other, whose membership just grew to over 80 (not
      bad for a town of 12,000 and nearest town of equal size 50 miles
      away), I eventually became the webmaster for and then their
      newsletter editor. http://www.qsl.net/naars I've worked with the
      club with changes from within.

      Thanks for the encouragement about making myself a "pest". I'm
      really good at that :-) [Ask our club president] I'm planning on
      trying to contact the District Exec soon, maybe also visit a scout
      summer camp in the area. I live 50 miles from either; also my
      "front lawn" consists of 40 acres of very rugged and wooded
      boondocks property, at least 13 dirt road miles from the nearest
      known Boy Scout troop. Nice for no TVI, RFI, or complaining
      neighbors -- but who knows, maybe attractive for a JOTA weekend
      campout for one or more troops.

      73,
      Don AE5K
      H.I.T. (Hillbilly In Training ;-)