RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Radio Merit Badge Class

  • Stephen M. Shearer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012

      OK, it’s been a long day…  it should be 2011 and 2012…  {us you MUST have figured}

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
        Phil,

        The Gwinnett Amateur Radio Society has run classes at JOTA several times. Following are some points:
        • Preregister those taking the class
        • Use one council approved merit badge instructor and one assistant for each group of 15 students
        • have appropriate classrooms in a separate area fro the radio operations
        • Use prepared presentations and make sure to have a computer and video projector for each class. (keep an extra projector in case Murphy visits)
        • Remind the boys to bring blue cards with their names and information already written in
        • Show excitement about the material and enjoy the experiance

        73,
        Steve
        WB2OGY

        On 06/08/2012 04:50 PM, Phil wrote:

        At JOTA this year, we are going to try a combined radio merit badge/technician licensing presentation at the same time over the course of a day. Has anyone else done this before? Any tips?

        I'll let everyone know how it works out.

        Phil
        K7APS

      • Phil Sohn
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
          Did you do the FCC test afterwards? I've done about 100 radio merit badges and helped about 20 earn their ticket, but I've never done the merit badge and FCC test together. My question is if you have done both together what did you learn from the experience.

          Phil
          Yahoo! Groups
          Switch to: Text-
        • Walter Underwood
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
            The most recent time I taught the merit badge, I got rid of my slides. I used the projector to show the ARRL video with Walter Cronkite, then turned it off.

            I used the board for propagation, block diagrams, and modulation. I had handouts for phonetic alphabet and had them spell their names to each other. I handed out QSO scripts and had them dry run QSOs in pairs. Another ham brought his spare parts drawers for identifying components. We spent most of the afternoon on the air. It helps that there is a youth net at 2pm on a local repeater. Everybody checked in. We did a lot of work with sets of HTs and a go-box with a mobile rig. We also had an HF station. One of the instructors has a battery-powered 3W PSK-31 setup -- that worked Tennessee and Ukraine.

            wunder
            K6WRU

            --
            Walter Underwood

          • Horace Hamby
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 27, 2012

              Reporting for philsohn K7APS

              There were some 60 scouts, boys, girls and cubs at the 2012 JOTA Mountain Meadows Duvall, WA event.  30 plus got a Merit Badge and 14 HAM Technician's licenses were awarded with 17 taking the test.  It was a great experience.  The event illustrated that practical learning stations demonstrating Amateur License technical principles can help youth learn.  Thanks to the LWHC members that were there making it work; 11+ LWHC members present out of 16 HAMS.  HAMs on site were covered up with students and talked continuously for the 8 hours.  The camp net was on the air most of the time with scouts making contact with each other and timing moves to different Learning Stations.  Federal Way , Microsoft Hams and LWHC supplied HAMS and VEs for the exam.

              The nine learning stations covered the subject areas with flip charts for needed knowledge for the Merit Badge and Technician Amateur Test.  Learning Stations: VHF/UHF Repeaters, HF, Safety and Call signs, QRP and CW, Digital and OHMs Law, Antennas, Electronics, Electrical Principles, Propagation, Radio Service and Net Control.  Several Scout Hams were working in the Learning Stations.  Complimentary Activities, demonstrations and Amateur test questions were used to reinforce learning station mission.  Federal Way HAM club was there with there portable DStar repeater¬óNeat.  Following the Scouts completion of the Learning Stations they were given the chance to complete the Radio Merit Badge and take the Amateur License Test.

              Plans are in the works for LWHC follow-up with those youth that got licenses this year; to get them and keep them on the air.  The goal is to get Amateur Radio to work in their troop.

              Then review the training stations material and have training and licensing session before JOTA 2013 in the fall.  Plan an all mode Technician display with a focus operating and contacts for JOTA 2013 using those licenses earned.   It is a goal to have more Scout Hams working in the stations next year.

              Planners were: Phil Sohn, K7APS; Dave Wickert, AE7TD and Horace Hamby, N7DRW and are available to explain details of this JOTA to others.