RE: [ScoutRadio] Radio Merit Badge Class

  • Paul Finch
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
      This brings up an interesting point, our club here in Azle, Texas is also
      going to be supporting the local Scout Troop and as many others in the area
      with a Radio Merit Badge class also. It looks like from the requirements
      that most of it is straight out of the Technician test or am I wrong?

      We are also dedication our GoTo station at Field Day to the Scouts hoping to
      get more interested in Ham Radio therefore getting their license!

      Is there an easy way to get in touch with the other area Troops? I wonder
      if the local Scout office would be willing to help get the word out? Any
      others tried that?

      Paul
      WB5IDM
      Troop 147
      Azle, Texas

      If You Haven't Grown Up by Age 50, You Don't Have To!

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
        Paul
        Does your council has a leadership email list ? I am the president
        of the Circle10 Radio Scouting Council Committee. We have advertized
        the HamCom Radio Merit Badge using the council email list to leaders.
        Great Success so far over 600 signed up. Unfortunately our room only
        hold about 150-175. Currently we are going to have a couple of
        overlapping Radio Merit Badge classes ( afternoon class does contacts
        outside first, morning class does classroom first, then the swap).
        This will allow us to handle about 350 scouts on Saturday. We still
        have an overflow that we are working on finding classroom space for.
        Try you council or several districts leaders and see if there is a email
        list or yahoo group used that you can get the word out. GOOD LUCK -
        hope you have a successful RMB class.

        Allan R. Batteiger
        WB5QNG

        On 6/7/2012 10:33 AM, Paul Finch wrote:
        > This brings up an interesting point, our club here in Azle, Texas is also
        > going to be supporting the local Scout Troop and as many others in the area
        > with a Radio Merit Badge class also. It looks like from the requirements
        > that most of it is straight out of the Technician test or am I wrong?
        >
        > We are also dedication our GoTo station at Field Day to the Scouts hoping to
        > get more interested in Ham Radio therefore getting their license!
        >
        > Is there an easy way to get in touch with the other area Troops? I wonder
        > if the local Scout office would be willing to help get the word out? Any
        > others tried that?
        >
        > Paul
        > WB5IDM
        > Troop 147
        > Azle, Texas
        >

        > If You Haven't Grown Up by Age 50, You Don't Have To!

      • Phil
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
          At JOTA this year, we are going to try a combined radio merit badge/technician licensing presentation at the same time over the course of a day. Has anyone else done this before? Any tips?

          I'll let everyone know how it works out.

          Phil
          K7APS
        • Stephen M. Shearer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012

            In 2012 I did JOTA and the merit badge at the same time.

            The merit badge – takes about 3-4 hours. http://mysite.verizon.net/vzer3c3e/id15.html and http://www.hamradioinstructor.com/powerpoint.html

            I didn’t get to operate – so, be sure to have enough op’s for JOTA.

            A second location for one/other would have helped as talking on radio/MB QRM’ed each other as we were close.

            In 2013 I am going to just JOTA.  The MB did double my scout participation.

            In 2013 I will lose one of my op’s to a vacation trip {what was he thinking?}…

            73, Steve

            At JOTA this year, we are going to try a combined radio merit badge/technician licensing presentation at the same time over the course of a day. Has anyone else done this before? Any tips?

            I'll let everyone know how it works out.

            Phil
            K7APS

            No virus found in this message.

          • Malcolm - G4CXT
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
              Wow - this guy must be good as he can transport to the future.

              Now that's worth a MB all on its own  :-)

              73

              Malcolm - G4CXT

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012

                OK, it’s been a long day…  it should be 2011 and 2012…  {us you MUST have figured}

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
                  Phil,

                  The Gwinnett Amateur Radio Society has run classes at JOTA several times. Following are some points:
                  • Preregister those taking the class
                  • Use one council approved merit badge instructor and one assistant for each group of 15 students
                  • have appropriate classrooms in a separate area fro the radio operations
                  • Use prepared presentations and make sure to have a computer and video projector for each class. (keep an extra projector in case Murphy visits)
                  • Remind the boys to bring blue cards with their names and information already written in
                  • Show excitement about the material and enjoy the experiance

                  73,
                  Steve
                  WB2OGY

                  On 06/08/2012 04:50 PM, Phil wrote:

                  At JOTA this year, we are going to try a combined radio merit badge/technician licensing presentation at the same time over the course of a day. Has anyone else done this before? Any tips?

                  I'll let everyone know how it works out.

                  Phil
                  K7APS

                • Phil Sohn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
                    Did you do the FCC test afterwards? I've done about 100 radio merit badges and helped about 20 earn their ticket, but I've never done the merit badge and FCC test together. My question is if you have done both together what did you learn from the experience.

                    Phil
                    Yahoo! Groups
                    Switch to: Text-
                  • Walter Underwood
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
                      The most recent time I taught the merit badge, I got rid of my slides. I used the projector to show the ARRL video with Walter Cronkite, then turned it off.

                      I used the board for propagation, block diagrams, and modulation. I had handouts for phonetic alphabet and had them spell their names to each other. I handed out QSO scripts and had them dry run QSOs in pairs. Another ham brought his spare parts drawers for identifying components. We spent most of the afternoon on the air. It helps that there is a youth net at 2pm on a local repeater. Everybody checked in. We did a lot of work with sets of HTs and a go-box with a mobile rig. We also had an HF station. One of the instructors has a battery-powered 3W PSK-31 setup -- that worked Tennessee and Ukraine.

                      wunder
                      K6WRU

                      --
                      Walter Underwood

                    • Horace Hamby
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 27, 2012

                        Reporting for philsohn K7APS

                        There were some 60 scouts, boys, girls and cubs at the 2012 JOTA Mountain Meadows Duvall, WA event.  30 plus got a Merit Badge and 14 HAM Technician's licenses were awarded with 17 taking the test.  It was a great experience.  The event illustrated that practical learning stations demonstrating Amateur License technical principles can help youth learn.  Thanks to the LWHC members that were there making it work; 11+ LWHC members present out of 16 HAMS.  HAMs on site were covered up with students and talked continuously for the 8 hours.  The camp net was on the air most of the time with scouts making contact with each other and timing moves to different Learning Stations.  Federal Way , Microsoft Hams and LWHC supplied HAMS and VEs for the exam.

                        The nine learning stations covered the subject areas with flip charts for needed knowledge for the Merit Badge and Technician Amateur Test.  Learning Stations: VHF/UHF Repeaters, HF, Safety and Call signs, QRP and CW, Digital and OHMs Law, Antennas, Electronics, Electrical Principles, Propagation, Radio Service and Net Control.  Several Scout Hams were working in the Learning Stations.  Complimentary Activities, demonstrations and Amateur test questions were used to reinforce learning station mission.  Federal Way HAM club was there with there portable DStar repeater¬óNeat.  Following the Scouts completion of the Learning Stations they were given the chance to complete the Radio Merit Badge and take the Amateur License Test.

                        Plans are in the works for LWHC follow-up with those youth that got licenses this year; to get them and keep them on the air.  The goal is to get Amateur Radio to work in their troop.

                        Then review the training stations material and have training and licensing session before JOTA 2013 in the fall.  Plan an all mode Technician display with a focus operating and contacts for JOTA 2013 using those licenses earned.   It is a goal to have more Scout Hams working in the stations next year.

                        Planners were: Phil Sohn, K7APS; Dave Wickert, AE7TD and Horace Hamby, N7DRW and are available to explain details of this JOTA to others.