Radio Merit Badge Class

  • Elden
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
      For anyone in the Atlanta, GA, area, I will be holding a Radio Merit Badge Class in conjunction with the Kennehoochee Amateur Radio Club Field Day activities at Dallas Landing Park in Kennesaw, GA.

      For more information or to register for the class, please go to www.meritbadge.info and look for the activity on June 23.

      Thanks.

      ELDEN MORRIS, N1MN
      Radio Merit Badge Counselor
      Covered Bridge & Foothills Histricts
    • Paul Finch
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
        This brings up an interesting point, our club here in Azle, Texas is also
        going to be supporting the local Scout Troop and as many others in the area
        with a Radio Merit Badge class also. It looks like from the requirements
        that most of it is straight out of the Technician test or am I wrong?

        We are also dedication our GoTo station at Field Day to the Scouts hoping to
        get more interested in Ham Radio therefore getting their license!

        Is there an easy way to get in touch with the other area Troops? I wonder
        if the local Scout office would be willing to help get the word out? Any
        others tried that?

        Paul
        WB5IDM
        Troop 147
        Azle, Texas

        If You Haven't Grown Up by Age 50, You Don't Have To!

        For anyone in the Atlanta, GA, area, I will be holding a Radio Merit Badge
        Class in conjunction with the Kennehoochee Amateur Radio Club Field Day
        activities at Dallas Landing Park in Kennesaw, GA.

        For more information or to register for the class, please go to
        www.meritbadge.info and look for the activity on June 23.

        Thanks.

        ELDEN MORRIS, N1MN
        Radio Merit Badge Counselor
        Covered Bridge & Foothills Histricts

      • Allan R. Batteiger
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
          Paul
          Does your council has a leadership email list ? I am the president
          of the Circle10 Radio Scouting Council Committee. We have advertized
          the HamCom Radio Merit Badge using the council email list to leaders.
          Great Success so far over 600 signed up. Unfortunately our room only
          hold about 150-175. Currently we are going to have a couple of
          overlapping Radio Merit Badge classes ( afternoon class does contacts
          outside first, morning class does classroom first, then the swap).
          This will allow us to handle about 350 scouts on Saturday. We still
          have an overflow that we are working on finding classroom space for.
          Try you council or several districts leaders and see if there is a email
          list or yahoo group used that you can get the word out. GOOD LUCK -
          hope you have a successful RMB class.

          Allan R. Batteiger
          WB5QNG

          On 6/7/2012 10:33 AM, Paul Finch wrote:
          > This brings up an interesting point, our club here in Azle, Texas is also
          > going to be supporting the local Scout Troop and as many others in the area
          > with a Radio Merit Badge class also. It looks like from the requirements
          > that most of it is straight out of the Technician test or am I wrong?
          >
          > We are also dedication our GoTo station at Field Day to the Scouts hoping to
          > get more interested in Ham Radio therefore getting their license!
          >
          > Is there an easy way to get in touch with the other area Troops? I wonder
          > if the local Scout office would be willing to help get the word out? Any
          > others tried that?
          >
          > Paul
          > WB5IDM
          > Troop 147
          > Azle, Texas
          >

          > If You Haven't Grown Up by Age 50, You Don't Have To!

        • Phil
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
            At JOTA this year, we are going to try a combined radio merit badge/technician licensing presentation at the same time over the course of a day. Has anyone else done this before? Any tips?

            I'll let everyone know how it works out.

            Phil
            K7APS
          • Stephen M. Shearer
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012

              In 2012 I did JOTA and the merit badge at the same time.

              The merit badge – takes about 3-4 hours. http://mysite.verizon.net/vzer3c3e/id15.html and http://www.hamradioinstructor.com/powerpoint.html

              I didn’t get to operate – so, be sure to have enough op’s for JOTA.

              A second location for one/other would have helped as talking on radio/MB QRM’ed each other as we were close.

              In 2013 I am going to just JOTA.  The MB did double my scout participation.

              In 2013 I will lose one of my op’s to a vacation trip {what was he thinking?}…

              73, Steve

              At JOTA this year, we are going to try a combined radio merit badge/technician licensing presentation at the same time over the course of a day. Has anyone else done this before? Any tips?

              I'll let everyone know how it works out.

              Phil
              K7APS

              No virus found in this message.

            • Malcolm - G4CXT
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
                Wow - this guy must be good as he can transport to the future.

                Now that's worth a MB all on its own  :-)

                73

                Malcolm - G4CXT

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012

                  OK, it’s been a long day…  it should be 2011 and 2012…  {us you MUST have figured}

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
                    Phil,

                    The Gwinnett Amateur Radio Society has run classes at JOTA several times. Following are some points:
                    • Preregister those taking the class
                    • Use one council approved merit badge instructor and one assistant for each group of 15 students
                    • have appropriate classrooms in a separate area fro the radio operations
                    • Use prepared presentations and make sure to have a computer and video projector for each class. (keep an extra projector in case Murphy visits)
                    • Remind the boys to bring blue cards with their names and information already written in
                    • Show excitement about the material and enjoy the experiance

                    73,
                    Steve
                    WB2OGY

                    On 06/08/2012 04:50 PM, Phil wrote:

                    At JOTA this year, we are going to try a combined radio merit badge/technician licensing presentation at the same time over the course of a day. Has anyone else done this before? Any tips?

                    I'll let everyone know how it works out.

                    Phil
                    K7APS

                  • Phil Sohn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
                      Did you do the FCC test afterwards? I've done about 100 radio merit badges and helped about 20 earn their ticket, but I've never done the merit badge and FCC test together. My question is if you have done both together what did you learn from the experience.

                      Phil
                      Yahoo! Groups
                      Switch to: Text-
                    • Walter Underwood
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
                        The most recent time I taught the merit badge, I got rid of my slides. I used the projector to show the ARRL video with Walter Cronkite, then turned it off.

                        I used the board for propagation, block diagrams, and modulation. I had handouts for phonetic alphabet and had them spell their names to each other. I handed out QSO scripts and had them dry run QSOs in pairs. Another ham brought his spare parts drawers for identifying components. We spent most of the afternoon on the air. It helps that there is a youth net at 2pm on a local repeater. Everybody checked in. We did a lot of work with sets of HTs and a go-box with a mobile rig. We also had an HF station. One of the instructors has a battery-powered 3W PSK-31 setup -- that worked Tennessee and Ukraine.

                        wunder
                        K6WRU

                        --
                        Walter Underwood

                      • Horace Hamby
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 27, 2012

                          Reporting for philsohn K7APS

                          There were some 60 scouts, boys, girls and cubs at the 2012 JOTA Mountain Meadows Duvall, WA event.  30 plus got a Merit Badge and 14 HAM Technician's licenses were awarded with 17 taking the test.  It was a great experience.  The event illustrated that practical learning stations demonstrating Amateur License technical principles can help youth learn.  Thanks to the LWHC members that were there making it work; 11+ LWHC members present out of 16 HAMS.  HAMs on site were covered up with students and talked continuously for the 8 hours.  The camp net was on the air most of the time with scouts making contact with each other and timing moves to different Learning Stations.  Federal Way , Microsoft Hams and LWHC supplied HAMS and VEs for the exam.

                          The nine learning stations covered the subject areas with flip charts for needed knowledge for the Merit Badge and Technician Amateur Test.  Learning Stations: VHF/UHF Repeaters, HF, Safety and Call signs, QRP and CW, Digital and OHMs Law, Antennas, Electronics, Electrical Principles, Propagation, Radio Service and Net Control.  Several Scout Hams were working in the Learning Stations.  Complimentary Activities, demonstrations and Amateur test questions were used to reinforce learning station mission.  Federal Way HAM club was there with there portable DStar repeater¬óNeat.  Following the Scouts completion of the Learning Stations they were given the chance to complete the Radio Merit Badge and take the Amateur License Test.

                          Plans are in the works for LWHC follow-up with those youth that got licenses this year; to get them and keep them on the air.  The goal is to get Amateur Radio to work in their troop.

                          Then review the training stations material and have training and licensing session before JOTA 2013 in the fall.  Plan an all mode Technician display with a focus operating and contacts for JOTA 2013 using those licenses earned.   It is a goal to have more Scout Hams working in the stations next year.

                          Planners were: Phil Sohn, K7APS; Dave Wickert, AE7TD and Horace Hamby, N7DRW and are available to explain details of this JOTA to others.