Setting up a Amateur radio program/station at the local BSA camp

  • wa1wxl4@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17, 2012
      Looking for anyone who was instrumental in setting up a permanent Amateur radio Station and merit badge program at a scout summer camp.
      Looking for suggestions, comments and ideas...

      Other local ham scouters and myself have done many ham demos at the camp, but now we want to set up a permanent station and radio merit badge program.

      Thanks

      Jeff Parker, WA1WXL
      Kannapolis NC District Commissioner
      Central North Carolina Council

      wa1wxl@...
    • Allan R. Batteiger
      Message 2 of 4 , May 17, 2012
        On 5/17/2012 9:32 AM, wa1wxl4@... wrote:
        > Looking for anyone who was instrumental in setting up a permanent Amateur radio Station and merit badge program at a scout summer camp.
        > Looking for suggestions, comments and ideas...
        >
        > Other local ham scouters and myself have done many ham demos at the camp, but now we want to set up a permanent station and radio merit badge program.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jeff Parker, WA1WXL
        > Kannapolis NC District Commissioner
        > Central North Carolina Council
        >
        > wa1wxl@...

        Jeff
        We are in the process of establishing permanent stations at all 4
        campground run by Circle10 Council. We currently have 2 stations
        installed. The only pieces missing are the IRLP link to link the
        stations UHF repeaters together.
        Each station has HF-UHF all mode. and UHF repeater. Camp Wisdom
        actually has a medium size room capable of seating at least a dozen
        boys. We have acquired several of the 2 watt HT's for the boys to use
        during camping and Radio MB for demos. Once we get the IRLP link up,
        the boys in each camp will be able to talk to each other using the HT's.

        Allan R Batteiger
        WB5QNG
        President K5BSA
        Circle10 Radio Scouting committee Chairman
      • stevenback@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 4 , May 17, 2012
          Camp Rainey Mountain in Northeast Georgia has a tech studies department for summer camp. We use the call letters KK4BSA.

          We have some dipole antennas in the trees by the tech studies shelter
          We leave an HF radio at tech studies for 9 weeks during camp when we have security.
          At other times of year we can always bring up a radio and use the permanent antennas
          We also have a permanent UHF repeater that is available to all licensed scouters year round
          All equipment is either donated or loaned by local amateurs

          73,
          Steve
          WB2OGY

        • DaleLamm@ieee.org
          Message 4 of 4 , May 17, 2012
            Jeff,

            This is exactly what our group did. Years of camp demos and JOTA's, then launch a radio merit badge program at a Council camp. Complete success, getting ready for our second season.

            Am working on an article for publication, but would be glad to share experiences. Are you headed to the Hamvention? If so, visit the ARRL-Scouting booth in the ARRL Expo and let's talk.

            73 de Dale NX8J trustee KT8BSA