Re: Morse Code Interpreter Strip

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4, 2012
      Check out today's entry on Scouting Magazine's Blog at http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/05/04/a-blast-from-the-past-in-code/

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "W4NHL" <w4nhl.1@...> wrote:

      > The Boy Scouts of America introduced a Morse Code Interpreter Strip today. Check out the full information here http://www.k2bsa.net/2012/05/morse-code-interpreter-strip/

    • Mike Crownover
      Message 2 of 16 , May 4, 2012
        Already ordered mine! CW is my preferred mode.

        Mike AB5EB

        On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Jim <jbwilson@...> wrote:

        Check out today's entry on Scouting Magazine's Blog at http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/05/04/a-blast-from-the-past-in-code/

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "W4NHL" <w4nhl.1@...> wrote:

        > The Boy Scouts of America introduced a Morse Code Interpreter Strip today. Check out the full information here http://www.k2bsa.net/2012/05/morse-code-interpreter-strip/

      • Lamers, William M III (Will)
        Message 3 of 16 , May 4, 2012

          Passed my 5 wpm for Tech Plus back in 97, just missed the 12.  Now I have even more incentive to get back up to speed...

          73,

          Will K6WML

          Already ordered mine! CW is my preferred mode.

          Mike AB5EB

          On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Jim <jbwilson@...> wrote:

          Check out today's entry on Scouting Magazine's Blog at http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/05/04/a-blast-from-the-past-in-code/

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "W4NHL" <w4nhl.1@...> wrote:

          > The Boy Scouts of America introduced a Morse Code Interpreter Strip today.
          Check out the full information here http://www.k2bsa.net/2012/05/morse-code-interpreter-strip/

        • jeffhburns
          Message 4 of 16 , May 4, 2012
            Who administers the test for an interpreter strip? Is it OK to just place an order based on my own assessment of my ability?

            AD9T

            Message 5 of 16 , May 4, 2012
              Good question! In the past 5 years of JOTA in my council I am the only one that does CW.

              Mike AB5EB

              On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:15 PM, jeffhburns <jeff_yahoo@...> wrote:

              Who administers the test for an interpreter strip? Is it OK to just place an order based on my own assessment of my ability?

              AD9T

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Mike Crownover <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:

              > Already ordered mine! CW is my preferred mode.
              >
              > Mike AB5EB
              >
              > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Jim <jbwilson@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Check out today's entry on Scouting Magazine's Blog at
              > > http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/05/04/a-blast-from-the-past-in-code/
              > >
              > > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "W4NHL" <w4nhl.1@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > The Boy Scouts of America introduced a Morse Code Interpreter Strip
              > > today. Check out the full information here
              > > http://www.k2bsa.net/2012/05/morse-code-interpreter-strip/

            • Walter Underwood
              Message 6 of 16 , May 4, 2012
                Interpreter strips don't have an official signoff, because we don't require unit leaders to be fluent in every possible language. Essentially, you fulfill the requirements with someone skilled in the language, Scouts Honor, then you go to the Scout store and get the patch.

                It is somewhat self-enforcing, because if you cheat and wear a strip for a language you don't speak, you had better be prepared for someone to talk to you in that language.

                "Morse" seems like a bit of a stretch as a "language", but whatever.

                I would much, much rather have an official uniform patch for amateur radio operators, like this attractive one from Scouts Austrailia:

                http://www.sresu.asn.au/training/amateur-radio-badge/

                wunder

                Message 7 of 16 , May 4, 2012
                  Not to say I am the only one...I just dont know anyone else.

                  Mike AB5EB

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 4, 2012
                    It is for sure not a separate language. But is does require interpretation.

                    Mike AB5EB

                    On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

                    Interpreter strips don't have an official signoff, because we don't require unit leaders to be fluent in every possible language. Essentially, you fulfill the requirements with someone skilled in the language, Scouts Honor, then you go to the Scout store and get the patch.

                    It is somewhat self-enforcing, because if you cheat and wear a strip for a language you don't speak, you had better be prepared for someone to talk to you in that language.

                    "Morse" seems like a bit of a stretch as a "language", but whatever.

                    I would much, much rather have an official uniform patch for amateur radio operators, like this attractive one from Scouts Austrailia:

                    http://www.sresu.asn.au/training/amateur-radio-badge/

                    wunder

                    On May 4, 2012, at 12:15 PM, jeffhburns wrote:

                    Who administers the test for an interpreter strip? Is it OK to just place an order based on my own assessment of my ability?

                    AD9T

                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Mike Crownover <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:

                    > Already ordered mine! CW is my preferred mode.
                    >
                    > Mike AB5EB
                    >
                    > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Jim <jbwilson@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Check out today's entry on Scouting Magazine's Blog at
                    > > http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/05/04/a-blast-from-the-past-in-code/
                    > >
                    > > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "W4NHL" <w4nhl.1@> wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > The Boy Scouts of America introduced a Morse Code Interpreter Strip
                    > > today. Check out the full information here
                    > > http://www.k2bsa.net/2012/05/morse-code-interpreter-strip/

                  • Sid Hughes
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 4, 2012
                      Jim,

                      Pretty cool. Wonder if my element 1 certification, done for my general, works?

                      Sid/K0SCH

                      Sid Hughes
                      Sent from my iPad

                      Am May 4, 2012 um 12:37 schrieb "Jim" <jbwilson@...>:

                      Check out today's entry on Scouting Magazine's Blog at http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/05/04/a-blast-from-the-past-in-code/

                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "W4NHL" <w4nhl.1@...> wrote:

                      > The Boy Scouts of America introduced a Morse Code Interpreter Strip today. Check out the full information here http://www.k2bsa.net/2012/05/morse-code-interpreter-strip/

                    • Javier Henderson
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 4, 2012
                        On May 4, 2012, at 6:11 PM, Sid Hughes <sid.k0sch@...> wrote:

                        > Pretty cool. Wonder if my element 1 certification, done for my general, works?

                        I would say that this is done on the honor system. The patch talks about 5 wpm, I'm fine with around 25 wpm (I've been active on CW for a long time), so I will get the patch. If someone ever calls me to help with translating a morse code conversation, I'll be able to do it at speeds well above the patch requirement.

                        73,
                        -jav k4jh
                      • Bill Stewart
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 4, 2012
                          I would say that any one who got their license prior to the no-code regulation would qualify as long as they were Tech-Plus or better.
                          Your license would be your proof.

                          Best 73,

                          Bill Stewart, W2BSA

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 4, 2012
                            I guess this is where the old call books come in handy....

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 4, 2012
                              Not really. I certainly would not wear the strip. I was certified at 5 WPM for my Novice in 1970, but couldn't make 13 WPM two years later, so I was out of the hobby until a few years ago. I haven't done any Morse for forty years.

                              The requirements are clear. You demonstrate your fluency in order to wear the patch. You do not rely on some certification from the distant past.

                              wunder
                              K6WRU

                              --
                              Walter Underwood

                            • Bill Stewart
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 5, 2012
                                That's your call. I'll look at some of my friends who are 20WPM extras and say go for it.
                                I never got code because it would take me 15mins to get to where I could copy it. That doesn't work for a test.

                                Bill
                                W2BSA