Re: [ScoutRadio] Terrible Trip (Help Needed)....David Hutchinson

  • David HUTCHINSON
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
      Yesterday morning just before 7am
      my email account was attacked by a hacker/spammer from Nigeria. The access log
      shows that the sod accessed my account 12 times between 7am and 8am. He created
      a spam email in the account so that anyone who replied to his first message was
      sent further messages in reply telling them where to send money to at a Spanish
      address. I have been forwarded copies of those messages. The local police here
      in Northern Ireland have been informed of an attempted fraud. As soon as I was
      aware of what had happened I contacted the BT Internet security team and my
      passwords were changed and the spam email address was deleted from my account.
      My address book was also wiped clean (which is a real nuisance). It took me over
      8 hours to partially sort out the mess left by this Nigerian hacker. I have no
      idea how he hacked my passwords but he is now locked out of my account and I
      have a trail of his nefarious actions which may help to catch him red handed.

      Being hacked is a very stressful experience and it paints you as being the
      perpetrator - which I am not. It also tells you who your friends are. The
      telephone hardly stopped ringing all day - some with offers of money which is
      nice but I don't need. The worrying thing is that someone might just send the
      requested money and they will never see it again.

      The moral of the story is - don't give your passwords to anyone - especially not
      to the Phishing scams that are commonplace on the Internet at the moment. I have
      received numerous requests for me to validate my BT account over the past few
      months and they all look genuine enough but NONE OF THEM ARE. They were all
      forwarded to abuse@...

      Have a nice day

      David

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
        Don't feel bad... I get those emails all the time... The biggest thing to remember is that no reputable company will ever email you asking for you're sensitive information... so when I get then I just delete them... Sorry about the rough time you had.

        Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

[...]

      • Bill - W2BSA
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
          Thanks David. I'm sorry you were hacked this way. I am familiar with this though because several of my friends in Scouting and otherwise have had the same problem.
          I hope that all is well now.

          Best, Bill Stewart, W2BSA Venturing Crew 80, Alexandria, VA, USA

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
            Good to hear from you Bill. Yes all is well. Apart from losing 8 hours yesterday to this Nigerian GIT I'm coming back down to earth. It took me long enough to get a telephone number for BT Internet Security and when I telephoned the local police to advise them of a scam fraud they were baffled and didn't know what to do - typical! I've seen this happen many times to other people but this is the first time its happened to me. In the past few months I have received dozens of emails pretending to come from BT and all Physhing for my account details by asking me to validate my account. They have all been forwarded to abuse@...

            We all need to be especially careful and don't believe everything you read in an email. My telephone has been ringing all day yesterday and I'm still getting calls from friends today asking me am I in Madrid and do I need money - AAARGH
            If I could lay my hands on that Nigerian so and so I would castrate him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

            73
            David GI4FUM

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
                Hi Bill

                I believe the Police Service of Northern Ireland have an internet fraud department. The UK equivalent of the US Secret Service would be MI5. I'm not sure if they deal with internet fraud or not. I would have no problem providing an email trail with all the headers. I'm afraid I'm a very small fish in a big pond. There are many people who have had their accounts hacked in the same way mine was. I don't know if there are investigations going on or not. I'm sure you are aware that the problem of Nigerian hacking/spamming has been around for several years and we don't seem any closer to getting to the bottom of the problem.

                David GI4FUM

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
                  So it seems like the scam might work then?

                  Hi everybody - please throw your cash at me!

                  :-)
                  73

                  Malcolm - G4CXT

                  On 12/04/2012 20:16, David HUTCHINSON wrote: I'm still getting calls from friends today asking me am I in Madrid and do I need money