JOTA Activities

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16 2:16 PM
      Hello to all!

      As a member of the Boy Scouts of America National Radio Scouting Committee, I have been asked to help develop an Activities Workbook for JOTA. The workbook is to be a resource for ststions psrticipating in JOTA although the actvities could be useful for Radio merit badge sessions. What better resource than all of you, who are interested in Scout Radio? So, I am asking if any of you have an idea for an activity relating to JOTA please forward it to me for consideration in the workbook. Thanks for your help.

      Ed/WA4ISI
      wa4isi@...
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16 4:28 PM
        Ed,

        Over the years we have always had a few HF stations for demo. We have also had good results with:
        • Radio Merit Badge
        • Fox Hunt
        • Demonstration of digital modes

        73,
        Steve
        WB2OGY

        On 02/16/2012 05:16 PM, Edward wrote:

        Hello to all!

        As a member of the Boy Scouts of America National Radio Scouting Committee, I have been asked to help develop an Activities Workbook for JOTA. The workbook is to be a resource for ststions psrticipating in JOTA although the actvities could be useful for Radio merit badge sessions. What better resource than all of you, who are interested in Scout Radio? So, I am asking if any of you have an idea for an activity relating to JOTA please forward it to me for consideration in the workbook. Thanks for your help.

        Ed/WA4ISI
        wa4isi@...

      • Phil Sohn
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17 2:14 AM
          Having a radio merit badge clinic is key. Communications also works well. Last year we did an APRS weather balloon launch, and it was a huge hit. The boys enjoyed tracking on APRS during the car chase and simple car to car.

          Phil
          K7APS
        • Ronald Doyle
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17 6:34 AM
            This is the third year Don Dubon, N6JRL, has organized a Youth DX expedition to Costa Rica.  Please go to their website at Youthdx.org to see the details and pictures from previous years.

            Jim Storms, AB8YK, is the senior team leader for this year has been in scouts for a long time and a ham for 9 years.  He was a staff member of K2BSA in 2010 and has participated in JOTA longer than he's been a ham.

            Don Dubon, N6JRL, one of the co-founders, have been on a number of DXpeditions around the world and goes to Costa Rica every year for the CQ World Wide contest in October. Don is also a long time supporter of scouting and youth.

            Refer to the  "2012 team criteria and application" link on the website for more details on this event.

            There are open slots.  I know it's open to any youth in the USA and there a chance it might be open to youth in other countries.  Contact Don for information.

            73 de Ron, N8VAR

          • Torkil Bladt
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 17 11:00 AM
              Hello Edward and everybody else
              Some years ago we made an activity for scouts on a Danish national
              jamboree.
              I think that our activity (as we called OLOTA, an untranslatable Danish
              abbrivation) could be used by other and thus be relevant for your book.
              Unfortunately all my written material is in Danish, but I'll try to
              explain what it was all about.

              The general idea was that the scouts should experience simplex com via
              hand held radio by talking to other patrols that they did not know.
              We set up a number of stations within a short walking distance and all
              within radiodistance. Each station was paired with another one and each
              pair shared a freq. The patrols went from one station to the next and got
              a new assignment at each station and a new patrol as counterpart.

              The assignments were:

              1 Describe a LEGO figurine to the other patrol and let them make a copy.
              The station leader had a drawing as a solution, so that they could see if
              they did it correct. We used figurines made of approx 10 standard
              8-knob-bricks, all of the same colour, but you can of course vary that.
              The other patrol had of course another figurine so that they could both
              have a try. This turned out to be the best of the activities. We made
              drawings in Blockcad (www.blockcad.net)

              2 Compass track. Each patrol had a long string with knots and a number of
              pegs; the knots gave the distances of the compass track but the direction
              (degrees) were given by radio. one patrol had the even directions and the
              other the uneven.

              3 Recipies. One patrol had a list of food-ingredience and the other a
              recipies book. They should then guess what course the ingr. were for.
              Quite difficult to figure out a good set of ing. and too easy to guess, we
              found.

              4 Battleship game. The two patrols played against each other. Other games
              such as Chess could also be used. Quite ok activity.

              5 Descibe a national flag. The patrols each got a poster with a lot of
              national flag (two different posters were used) and a picture of 3-5 flags
              that were on the other patrols poster but not on their own. They should
              then describe the flags to each other patrol to guess. It is important to
              choose flags that are not very well known and that looks like other flags.
              Also quite ok, but rather easy. If you want to scale up the level, try
              plants and a botany book!

              6 Guess a Fairy tale. The patrol gave each other some keywords from the
              (in Denmark) well known tales by Hans Christian Andersen. They should then
              guess what tale. Again, the patrol were working in pairs.

              7 Kims Game. (we did not use this, but kept is as a spare activity) The
              patrol should describe how a certain thing looked like (eg. a golf ball)
              but not mention anythig about its use.

              Radio obstacle course
              This activity was not from the Danish camp, but from the world scout
              jamboree in Sweden last summer. We had set up an obstacle course with
              strings, poles and gates. The scouts worked in pairs, one directing the
              other (blindfolded) scout through the track (approx 50m) by hand held
              radio. He should carry a cup of water all the way without spilling too
              much. It can be made more difficult if the guide is not present but only
              can see what is going on via a CCTV monitor.

              You are welcome to ask if you need more info on the activities, I can be
              reached by e-mail or skype (torkil.bladt)

              Torkil Bladt OZ2KIL, cup scout leader, Slagelse, Denmark.

              tel +45 29 64 02 50
            • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18 9:13 AM
                Torkil,

                These sound fun!
                You might even ask the Scouts to use fldigi or similar acoustically coupled
                to a HT to send the lists or instructions between the patrols. We've done
                that with great success.
                Also, you might want to load the documents in Danish on a web site and we
                can use the Google translator or other facility to translate the original
                text in the documents.

                Thanks & 73,
                Yours in Scouting!
                Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
                201.314.6964

                Some years ago we made an activity for scouts on a Danish national
                jamboree.
                I think that our activity (as we called OLOTA, an untranslatable Danish
                abbrivation) could be used by other and thus be relevant for your book.
                Unfortunately all my written material is in Danish, but I'll try to
                explain what it was all about.
              • Lars Christian Ingerslev
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 19 3:40 AM
                  Hej Torkil,

                  If you let us have the information in Danish, I can probably translate.

                  73 AB2SN Christian

                  To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com