RE: [scoutcamps_ota] A name for the DE camp...

  • Stephen M. Shearer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2012

      GA,

      I thank you all for your input to my question.

      I have taken your input and that of my {currently} two co-staff for the RADIO part of the event and submitted my proposal to the PIC.

      I have done this before and I am currently running Radio Merit Badge at our Council Merit Badge College so I am not totally new to running a demo.

      I wanted new input to make sure I wasn’t missing “things”…  again thank you for your input.

      IF, what I asked for gets approved and I see no reason why it won’t as I was asked to put on a RADIO demo, I “should” operate from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning.  I don’t know if “we” will operate 24 hours straight, but we will be on the air as much as possible.   I will try and develop a time plan of the frequencies and modes that we will be on and publish them here and on “radio_scouting”.   I “think” I can get a few more hams to help operate and to answer question {give out free ARRL info, too}.

      I hope to have two HF transmitters.  One for voice and one for digital {PSK31 and CW}.  I also will have voice and APRS on VHF/UHF for demo and talk-in.  For APRS, I need to see if there is a local iGate…  As I get more information from the Person In Charge, I will pass on the information about what I am doing.  It will be nice for the “First State” to get the last state BSA camp and enable WAS Scout Camps.  The OA will also be using the camp in the fall of 2012 for an induction weekend, so I expect to be active then too.

      I made a K1EL K42 CW Keyboard “box” and I hope to give it a try from MD-05 this weekend.  Since it has a reader and Morse is generated with a buffered keyboard, it looks like the kids might like to give it a try – I’ll see…   I don’t know what times I will be on, as I am “working”…  When I do, I’ll give the BSA freq’s a try.  Sideband will be busy with a NA contest.

      73, Steve