Re: [ScoutRadio] Radio Scouting Emblem

  • Bill - W2BSA
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 28, 2011
      I just love how people beat up on others for using the wrong word. But, it seems to be typical of this and many other
      email groups I'm in which I'm a member. And, yes since it was my comment that said World brotherhood, I feel I have a right to complain.
      It accomplishes nothing to beat up on people for something that stupid and doesn't accomplish the aims of this or many other organizations.
      So I used the wrong word, big deal.

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Venturing Crew 80, W3BSA

      On 11/28/2011 12:23 AM, Dale Lamm wrote:

      [snip]

      However, I would pass comment on the phrase used below ..... while I
      recognise and respect the fact that BSA has chosen not to admit girls to
      their ranks I feel it is wrong to refer to the "World Brotherhood". Anybody
      who has participated in an international jamboree will quickly recognise the
      value of a Scout organisation open equally to both boys and girls and the
      diversity achieved without discriminating against 50% of the world's
      community.

      [end]

      Venturing is an official BSA program that admits both sexes, although there
      is an age limitation. Generally, Venturers should be age 14+ and may remain
      registered as youth till the age of 21 is reached. One of our Crew members
      took delight in showing off her BSA membership card.

      See www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing.aspx

      Also, females are admitted as adult leaders in USA Scouting. I am aware of a
      Troop in my state that had a female Scoutmaster for a few years. Some people
      bemoaned the fact, but she stepped up only because none of the males in the
      committee would do so.

      Agree that using the noun "Brotherhood" is non-inclusive to half the
      population, unless you are talking about a 100% male organization.

      Back to the topic... How soon till we can begin using the new emblem in
      publicity, posters, handouts and other signage?

      Dale Lamm NX8J, KT8BSA
      Crew Advisor, VC-73