Re: Radio Scouting Emblem

  • wb2boo
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 26, 2011
      I totally agree with Doug, and I think this group should offer its apologies to Jim. He's had his design team look at things from a modern viewpoint and come up with a variety of ideas that he asked us to consider.

      Unlike folks sharpshooting from the sidelines, since the February MOU between ARRL and BSA, Jim has devoted himself and his graphics and communications staff at BSA HQ to actively promoting Amateur Radio to millions of Scouts this year. It's fair to say that his efforts have reached more Scouts than the combined efforts of the members of this Yahoo Group. He's also a communications (as in advertising and public relations) professional with decades of experience in that field, and we "amateurs" in that field of expertise might want to listen to his ideas.

      Jim has created a BSA National Radio Scouting Committee, staffing it radio Scouters from across the country, actively updated the BSA webpages for JOTA, promoted JOTA in Boy Life and Scouting magazines, and on Facebook and Twitter. He now been designated the job of organizing the K2BSA operation both at the National Jamboree and for other uses. You can see some of that work at http://www.k2bsa.net/ and http://www.scouting.org/JOTA.aspx

      If we want the kids of today to get involved in Amateur Radio we need to understand what graphics appeal to them, not what a bunch of old timers like. Jim and his team are attempting to do that and we should encourage it.

      So thanks, Jim for your efforts and please share more ideas with us here in the future.

      73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Unit Commissioner
      Mercer Area District, Central NJ Council, BSA

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, <dr@...> wrote:

      > Gentlemen:> There are a number of Scouting Hams, besides myself that subscribe to this list to discuss and stay abreast of ScoutRadio matters. This conversation has digressed well past that point. Before we find ourselves exchanging cookie recipes, perhaps we should refocus on Scouts and radio related issues. I would welcome a flood of emails in my inbox that relate to involving scouts in ham radio, but you guys are starting to wear out my delete button.
      >
      > Mr. Wilson was well intentioned in his original email, kudos to him for all of his efforts in promoting amateur radio to the Scouting community. I'm sure he appreciated your initial responses to his proposal, but now that train has run itself off the tracks. Lets spend the remainder of the weekend getting some kids on the working side of a microphone, that's what this group is all about.
      >
      > 73 and Yours in Scouting,
      >
      > Doug Roberts
      > NEØA
      > Assistant Council Commissioner - Urban Scouting
      > Heart of America Council
    • qsl7thp
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 27, 2011
        Amen.

        The new symbol was not my first choice but I can live with it and it will grow on me.

        Now let's get to work on getting the scouts on the air, which should be job #1 no matter what the emblem looks like.

        I think the work that Jim and the staffers do is under-appreciated. I know from the little I do, it takes a lot of effort and also putting other stuff on the back burner to accomplish anything.

        My hat is off, Jim, to you and the other staffers. Keep up the good work!(Even if at times it does not look as if all appreciate it.)

        (As to Mr. Woods asking for apologies, that sort of offends me.)

        tnx es 73,

        Russ N7QR
        Troop 592 Sunset Trail District
        Columbia Pacific Council

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "wb2boo" <k2gw@...> wrote:

        > I totally agree with Doug, and I think this group should offer its apologies to Jim. He's had his design team look at things from a modern viewpoint and come up with a variety of ideas that he asked us to consider.
        >
        > Unlike folks sharpshooting from the sidelines, since the February MOU between ARRL and BSA, Jim has devoted himself and his graphics and communications staff at BSA HQ to actively promoting Amateur Radio to millions of Scouts this year. It's fair to say that his efforts have reached more Scouts than the combined efforts of the members of this Yahoo Group. He's also a communications (as in advertising and public relations) professional with decades of experience in that field, and we "amateurs" in that field of expertise might want to listen to his ideas.
        >
        > Jim has created a BSA National Radio Scouting Committee, staffing it radio Scouters from across the country, actively updated the BSA webpages for JOTA, promoted JOTA in Boy Life and Scouting magazines, and on Facebook and Twitter. He now been designated the job of organizing the K2BSA operation both at the National Jamboree and for other uses. You can see some of that work at http://www.k2bsa.net/ and http://www.scouting.org/JOTA.aspx
        >
        > If we want the kids of today to get involved in Amateur Radio we need to understand what graphics appeal to them, not what a bunch of old timers like. Jim and his team are attempting to do that and we should encourage it.
        >
        > So thanks, Jim for your efforts and please share more ideas with us here in the future.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Gary Wilson, K2GW
        > Unit Commissioner
        > Mercer Area District, Central NJ Council, BSA
        >

        > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, <dr@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Gentlemen:> There are a number of Scouting Hams, besides myself that subscribe to this list to discuss and stay abreast of ScoutRadio matters. This conversation has digressed well past that point. Before we find ourselves exchanging cookie recipes, perhaps we should refocus on Scouts and radio related issues. I would welcome a flood of emails in my inbox that relate to involving scouts in ham radio, but you guys are starting to wear out my delete button.
        > >
        > > Mr. Wilson was well intentioned in his original email, kudos to him for all of his efforts in promoting amateur radio to the Scouting community. I'm sure he appreciated your initial responses to his proposal, but now that train has run itself off the tracks. Lets spend the remainder of the weekend getting some kids on the working side of a microphone, that's what this group is all about.
        > >
        > > 73 and Yours in Scouting,
        > >
        > > Doug Roberts
        > > NEØA
        > > Assistant Council Commissioner - Urban Scouting
        > > Heart of America Council

      • Dale Lamm
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 27, 2011
          [snip]

          However, I would pass comment on the phrase used below ..... while I
          recognise and respect the fact that BSA has chosen not to admit girls to
          their ranks I feel it is wrong to refer to the "World Brotherhood". Anybody
          who has participated in an international jamboree will quickly recognise the
          value of a Scout organisation open equally to both boys and girls and the
          diversity achieved without discriminating against 50% of the world's
          community.

          [end]

          Venturing is an official BSA program that admits both sexes, although there
          is an age limitation. Generally, Venturers should be age 14+ and may remain
          registered as youth till the age of 21 is reached. One of our Crew members
          took delight in showing off her BSA membership card.

          See www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing.aspx

          Also, females are admitted as adult leaders in USA Scouting. I am aware of a
          Troop in my state that had a female Scoutmaster for a few years. Some people
          bemoaned the fact, but she stepped up only because none of the males in the
          committee would do so.

          Agree that using the noun "Brotherhood" is non-inclusive to half the
          population, unless you are talking about a 100% male organization.

          Back to the topic... How soon till we can begin using the new emblem in
          publicity, posters, handouts and other signage?

          Dale Lamm NX8J, KT8BSA
          Crew Advisor, VC-73
        • Bill - W2BSA
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 28, 2011
            I just love how people beat up on others for using the wrong word. But, it seems to be typical of this and many other
            email groups I'm in which I'm a member. And, yes since it was my comment that said World brotherhood, I feel I have a right to complain.
            It accomplishes nothing to beat up on people for something that stupid and doesn't accomplish the aims of this or many other organizations.
            So I used the wrong word, big deal.

            Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Venturing Crew 80, W3BSA